'stingers' for sps

Joel Eadie

sorry to put more of my scribbles in the forum again but....

i was looking for articles on sps as i would like to swap over to them from hb (im running out of money :laugh: ) and i came across these (in pic)

alot of the reports on AFO tell of the missing half of thier sps after a big hit, this would get rid of that problem, though perhaps inhibit some swimming action?

i cant say i have looked very hard but i have never seen these in the shops are they out there? you can buy them online but they were 8.50 for 2, not including postage :blink:

i guess the beauty of fishing with sps is the simplicity of it. maybe it would be too much effort

anyway give us your thoughts stinger1.jpg

used to dabble with stingers, did a 4" shrimp plastic with a wire inserted in the middle and around the jighead inside the plastic (bit fiddly) coming out the tail end with a treble attached. caught 1 salmon on the treble alone and a few flatties but wouldnt really bother with the effort these days lol. now i tend to downsize the plastic :P

Just watched one of the AFC bream rounds from season 4 and Dizzy Borg was using a stinger on a softy - first time i've seen it and it was a pro bream angler! For those that haven't seen this round though the pro's where doing it tough and I guess getting a touch desperate. Before reading this I had never heard of it and wounldn't of thought to do it. Mmmmmmm.....

stingers have been part of tournament bream fishing for quite some time now, i use a small treble at the back end of 2inch gulp shrimp if fishing is very slow. but at times it can be a burden as you will tend to hook all the little bream picking at the sp which doesnt give the bigger ones time to grab it, so give it a try when the fishing is slow.

Yeh I do the same, but as plugger said. A lot of the time the small fish will get to it first and wont give the big ones a chance to get to it. Definately worth doing when the fishing is tough.

I tie 6lb fc length depending on the lure your using, from the eye of the jighead to a size 16 owner treble. Then hook it to the tail of the plastic.

tomca wrote:

when the fishing is tough in clear water, even the small bream are clued up onto the treble stinger. So when a stinger is required I suggest a small neutral coloured single hook. Even then the bream will torment and mock you. :angry:

how does that work tomca? does it go all they way through and out the other side?

heres a few crap pics.. need to find somewhere with better light. sitting on my laptop atm.

jig-heads used are starlo, TT, breampro and cant remember wat the far right one is..

basically i tie a knot onto the part of the jig-head where the plastic 'bites' and holds onto the jig head then tie a little treble on the end. havent had a chacne to use these yet and there might be a problem with the plastic sticking onto the jighead but in any case the knot will be covered up (on the inside) of the plastic so this will help with the knot not coming free etc

edit - pics dont work i'll upload to my own site and post again after dinner. couldnt upload through afo for some reason

Joel Eadie wrote:

looking forward to those pics 51MPL

and dusky they look great they arnt in shops are they?

I've seen them at Anglers warehouse Tweed and The boatshed at Currumbin. Ask your local tackle shop to stock them, I will try to have them in most tackle shops soon.

umm what do you mean exactly by the extra line? i just ran a bit extra length of line for 3/4/5" plastics (yes on those tiny jig heads, cant find any bigger hook jig-heads with small weight the minimum are always 1/4 so..)

if the plastic is small i'll just hook the treble onto the tail area and there will be some slack in the line, not sure how that will affect the lure movement underwater but hoping to try it out tonight

Dusky wrote:

Here's another type of stinger set up, look pretty good !!

stinger.jpg

check out there website.

/>http://www.mantislures.com/

Cheers

$13.50 for 2 jigheads rigged with the stinger treble :ohmy:

Cheaper to do it yourself.. with owner trebles, TT or Nitro jigheads and flurocarbon instead of wire.. A bit pricey for jigheads if your just chasing bream..

The MANTIS STINGER is designed for all estuary fish big flatty, tailor, bream and the Mangrove jac. Its available in a 1/0, 1/4 oz 1 3/16oz 2 1/8 oz 4 1/160z

The STINGER is also available in resin....chec out the pic ...available in all boatshed to yamba shops and soon to hit queensland this month. The stainless steel wire ensures that the stinger is not going to get bitten off if you come up against a tailor ... :woohoo:

Archived