Fish Disease

Cowfish13

Hey guys, I recently put some Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish into my Aquarium and they were going fine until my Eel started picking on them... He clipped fins off all of them (3 at the time) so I had to get rid of my Eel. Two of the Rainbows have recovered fine and their fins are quickly regrowing, however, my largest one has got an infection on his right pectoral fin.

A bit of research basically gave be Fin Rot as the only likely explanation due to stress and location of infection. Unfortunately, as the Eel bit most of the fin off, I didn't notice the infection until it had reached his body and got inflamed. So I went to the fish shop and picked up some Fin Rot antibiotics. I've been treating it for about 9 days, with 30% water changes every second day with no noticeable improvements. If any thing, it is getting worse and appears to be spreading into his body.

I've uploaded some pictures and just want to know if:

a) It is Fin Rot (in a severe stage)

B) Do I keep treating it after so long? Give it a rest for a week or so? Change medication?

c) Should I release him to prevent it from possibly spreading to others in the tank.

PICT0022-2.jpg

PICT0020-1.jpg

Hey Will, Do you have charcoal in your filtration system ? If you do you should get rid of it while you are treating the fish....it reduces the effectiveness of the curer.

Also try adding some salt to the water. I don't know your tank volume, but drop a third in if it's a 4' or a quarter if it's a 3'. (Teaspoons that is)

If the fish is otherwise healthy, I'd persist with the treatment until it dies or gets better. With the treatment you are using and the source of stress removed the others should be pretty safe from catching anything, unless it's a parasite (even then the salt should help there).

Cheers

B

Feral: Got him from Borumba Dam. But will keep that to mind if worse comes to worse because I suppose it could be something a lot worse than just fin rot.

Brian, no charcoal, just a normal mechanical and biological filter. What's the go with salt? I've been reading a lot about it online and there seems to be conflicting views. Because rainbows are only found in fresh and really don't tolerate brackish well, I've read not to add salt. However, that's just with a normal tank set up, so it's probably different in my case. Would sea salt be alright? I've read not to use iodised salt, so if it doesn't say it is iodised, does that mean it's ok to use?

Also will my other fish cope with the salt? I've got a some Flyspecked Hardiheads, Yellow Perchlets and some Firetail Gudgeons. All less than 1 inch

But, if it continues to decline over the next week or two, I guess euthanasia might be the only option :(

Take it out put it in a bucket or container with at least 10 litres of water and airation. add 2 grams of pure sea salt per litre then 1 hour later another 2 grams per litre and again in another hour. when treating fish best to isolate them requires less of whatever treatment you use and saves possible transmision of problem. rainbows tolerate 10 ppt salt no problem. 25% water change daily. if it persists after 2 days go back to salt regime.If you want to medicate get some Tri sulphur tablets from an aquarium most will sell

you just the required amount probably cost more than the fish is worth though.

Archived