Brisbane's dams reach 93.8 per cent

Yoodles82

Can you believe this water level! Isn't it great to see wivenhoe fill up :-)

Coming from an area of the proposed traveston dam...its nice to see brissy get some water and ease the emergency for a while.

Story's at the courier mail:

[url: http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brisbanes-dams-reach-938-per-cent-as-rain-continues-to-fall/story-e6freon6-1225838185654]

Yes it is great to see. I haven't seen Wivenhoe that full for over 10 years. Does anyone know when Billies Bay was closed off to public? I haven't been there for a bout 5 years and went to go there Sunday morning and the gates were padlocked.

Very good to see and while it's filling they need to keep pumping up to cressbrook to get them out of the poo,it's amazing how an area like the sth east corner can get so much rain and a town 90 min away can get so little

cheers dassa

natang wrote:

Does anyone know when Billies Bay was closed off to public? I haven't been there for a bout 5 years and went to go there Sunday morning and the gates were padlocked.

yeah mate it sucks that ya cant get in there.apparently you can pay a fee and recieve a key to the gate to access billies bay its in the hands of some sailing club or somthing. You have to talk to them to arange getting a key. Its such a nice area with good facilities play ground, boat ramp etc and the public cant use it......crazzy ay.

mick

I will endeavour to dig out a picture of the dam when it was rumoured to be about 115% capactiy.

It was before I was in QLD so will need to grab it from the person who has it hanging on the wall and scan it in. It shows sailing boats tied up to the bbq huts there.

I was out there on Saturday to measure our marker bouys and the dam has risen vertically 4.8m from our best reckoning.

Mick - The Brisbane Valley Sailing Club currently holds the lease for Billies Bay/Hays Landing area.

Shortie , Your sum is wrong , 100,000 ML is all that is needed to fill to 100% . Problem will be if the headwaters get another drenching as they did up past Linville a night or two ago , the Brisbane River crossings had 6 feet or more over them , all hell will be let loose cos SEQWater will have to let water go or else the eastern rock wall will go over and who knows what will happen then . Best thing to do now is to pump all they can into Cressbrook and the lesser dams in that system . Ian M :cheer:

I think you are both talking different figures. Shortie is talking total capacity, and Wally I think you are refering to how much more is required to fill the dam.

Here is the total holding capacities from the website

Name:Wivenhoe Dam / Lake Wivenhoe Water Course:Brisbane River Location:Upstream from Fernvale Catchment Area:7,020km2 Lake Surface Area:10,750 ha Full Supply Capacity:1,165,238 ML Current Capacity:1,063,545 ML (91.3% full) at 08/03/2010 Flood Mitigation:1,450,000 ML Year Complete:1984

dassa wrote:

Very good to see and while it's filling they need to keep pumping up to cressbrook to get them out of the poo,it's amazing how an area like the sth east corner can get so much rain and a town 90 min away can get so little

cheers dassa

Too true dassa! My sister lives in Pittsworth and they got bugger all rain, while we got maybe 10 inches! Its a struggle for water anywhere west of gatton....not including charleville way of course :laugh:

awesome to hear that the hoe is on its way to full, would be great if they have to open gates again like 98. a good clean flush out of brisbane river plus some more stonker bass for the river yeahaaaaaa :laugh: the rriver is in need of some clear fresh water instead of just the muddy sandy crap that has come out of lockyer creek the last few floods.

wallyfly wrote:

Shortie , Your sum is wrong , 100,000 ML is all that is needed to fill to 100% . Problem will be if the headwaters get another drenching as they did up past Linville a night or two ago , the Brisbane River crossings had 6 feet or more over them , all hell will be let loose cos SEQWater will have to let water go or else the eastern rock wall will go over and who knows what will happen then . Best thing to do now is to pump all they can into Cressbrook and the lesser dams in that system . Ian M :cheer:

mate read this link.
/>http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/catch-store-treat/dams/wivenhoe-dam

its flood mitigation is greater than the supposed full volume in can hold.

At 100% supply capacity, Wivenhoe will hold 1 165 000ml and be 67m deep at the wall,

The total height of the dam wall is 80m to the river bed, leaving 13m of wall exposed at full supply,

In flood conditions, the dam can be filled that extra 13m, or 1 450 000ml to stop or slow a rise in the Brisbane river.

equating to 2 600 000ml before water runs over the road on the dam wall

At 100% supply capacity, Wivenhoe will hold 1 165 000ml and be 67m deep at the wall,

The total height of the dam wall is 80m to the river bed, leaving 13m of wall exposed at full supply,

In flood conditions, the dam can be filled that extra 13m, or 1 450 000ml to stop or slow a rise in the Brisbane river.

equating to 2 600 000ml before water runs over the road on the dam wall....Quoted from Tom B

That would be a sight to see. There must be some bloody strenght in that wall :dry:

not quite, that overflow was built to ensure that the road was useable during flood, but if water was ever to reach that overflow and we got additional rainfall, then it would do little to prevent the dam from filling further.

The purpose it was built for was to allow water to "trickle" out of the dam while we waited to open the flood gates on low tide

I just can't believe how quickly it rose...i mean, i knew we got a bit of rain, but it just didn't feel like enough to fill the dam. Considering last year we were happy when we got a couple of percent rise....this time it rose 20% in a couple of weeks! I am just shocked.

I wonder how much of cormorant bay is left :-)

Does anyone know if hamon cove is open?

Went out to Billies Bay this afternoon to rectify an issue and took a camera with me. To some people these pics will make no sense really to others, they will be blown away with the amount of water.

Bridge over the little stream heading in

DSC00146AFO.jpg

Look fishy?

DSC00147AFO.jpg

Where we normally launch, now there is a strip of grass 15m wide between water and clearing

DSC00135AFO.jpg

Where trailer boats normally put in as its a good solid rocky area

DSC00138AFO.jpg

The unofficial launching ramp

DSC00140AFO.jpg

The official launching ramps

DSC00143AFO.jpg

I drove across this bit on Saturday (see the tyre tracks)

DSC00137AFO.jpg

And ran the mower around this tree

DSC00136AFO.jpg

And an arty shot to finish

DSC00142AFO.jpg

Schmuck wrote:

Here's a panorama I took 1st July 2007 for a comparison

/>http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8857/lakewivenhoejuly07.jpg

You'll need to cut and paste into the browser because it's a huge file

That's a huge difference...brown grass and mud plains. You can see why pepople can get depressed just by the look of the land. A bit of water and green grass puts a smile on everyones face :)

Nat

Archived