Jewies????

Bud

Planning on heading out this winter to try and catch my first jewie. Been doing a lot of reading but wondering if you guys had any tips. Mainly bait and how to rig it and what size gear do any of you guys use. I like to fish light and maximise the fight (makes it fairer on the fish too). Any tips and ideas are appreciated in helping me tick the good old mulloway off my \"to catch\" list.;)

I'll be hitting the mouth of the Norman this winter from my river rat. Looking to get another nice jewie from there. If i have a spare seat your more then welcome to jump in! All i need now, is to learn how to use the bloody cast net!!!!!

Seriously though, my last jewie was caught land based at Norman creek mouth on an old prawn! When the tide is coming in, or out is the best time.

Mate that spare seat will fit my ass nicely..thats great for inviting me thanks a million. Thought about off the tweed wall. To be honest location is one of the big problems..but not if you have a spare seat. karma to you mate for the offer.;)

Bud= No worries mate, always great to meet other BFishing fellas! I'll definetly let ya know when im looking to hit it! I have also heard really good things about casting big shads off the tweed wall for jewies! Once i get my electric i plan to do more around those walls and stuff!

Werewolf= I would owe you many a trip in the river rat if you can teach me how to use THE DAMN NET!!!!:lol: I get it every now and then, but loose it just a fast! TEACH ME PLEASE!!!!

Feral= great idea! The mouth is big enough for a few of us in boats hang there! It'd be a great night!I just hope the new constructions dont ruin anything!

Try throwing big diving minnows like the big bomber jointed minnows, halco crazy deeps and classic barras around the up current side of bridge pylons, or jigging big shads past them while u drift seemed to work pretty well down south for them, couple of days before an after the full moon with a high tide just after dark seemed to be the best times.

Well if your real keen to get some jewies. And i mean real keen than you need to be 2 things, 1 a little crazy and 2 a little wealthy. Plan your day like this around june/july/august wake up early grab your beach/surf combo head down to the beach near the spit and catch as many (legal) tailor as possible, never freeze your tailor keep them in mix of ice and SEA water. Than if u know where to get live squid, get them aswell. Try keep the squid alive, Ok bait is sorted. Off to the boat and make sure its big enough, head out through the southport seaway and ancor as close to the rough stuff as possible just outside the bar, best on dusk couple days after new or full moon and allways on top of high tide.Use at least 50lb main line and depending if your keen to actually bring in the sharks or not a bigger leader. I use a 2 hook snell rig about 150mm appart. Butterfly your tailor and drop em over as many as you can, I have 4-5 rods out at once. If u have live squid allways cast them on a heavy weight towards the seaway(live mullet work real well also). If you do all of this i guarentee you will get at least 2 jewies and the rest if not snapped off will be sharks or monster rays.Lot of work but does pay off! Goodluck..

mate i have'nt been out there for a while but u can do all that off the sand pumping jetty if it still open to the public, someone else may shed some light and let me tell ya thats where it all began for me as a little tacker. Ive seen 25kg jewies caught there, only problem is when their that big is getting them on the jetty, what ever u do let them fight every last shred of energy before u attempt the lift. I personally have caught a 12kg jewie from the jetty, i got it to the surface about 10m down and had to let it sit there on the surface of the water for about 10 mins untill it was completly buggered before attempting the big lift. Its like giving a kid a christmas present and telling him not to open it for a few hours :ohmy: one of the hardest thing to do..

Another way, similar to the confused method. Try the Pin. Catch Tailor of southern tip off Nth Straddie - keep em alive, move up river about 500mts and using at pat rig, drop it to the bottom with a 2 metre plus dropper. Then sit and wait for a while. Set 2 or 3 lines with different weights. once they hit let em run a bit to make sure of the hook up.

Think I might have a go this weekend on my 2nd trip.

I reckon live mullet sucks as bait for Jew and that live herring hooked through the lip on a paternoster rid will catch you more jews...Live squid is better if you can get them....Make sure the hook spacing puts 1 hook near the bottom and the other about mid water as jews really like to take bait in mid water...

Bud most bridges will hold jews try around the top of a big tide and just after it starts to run out......

Archived