WHATS UP WITH THIS CRAB!?!?!?

reef_raider

got this crab in cabbage tree creek the other day and have no idea what it is, it got a mud crab body, sand crab claws and its orange and white :unsure: just wondering if anyone could help me out identifying it or should i send the picture to the DPI for the identification?

thanks, reef_raider

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/CUB_Supermatic_Camper_002.jpg

post-226-144598412949_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

there's a serious shortage of nutrients leaving the rivers at the moment due to the drought so i reckon that the outer ocean and reef species as well as the tropical fishes from up north are looking for food further in rivers than normal.

• 3 weeks later...

We used to get them occasionally up in Cairns. We used to keep them according to the same legal size as sand crabs. They are super tasty!! Probably even sweeter than a sand crab. Same sort of meat distribution as well.

You should be stoked that you caught one!! top catch.

We used to get them occasionally up in Cairns. We used to keep them according to the same legal size as sand crabs. They are super tasty!! Probably even sweeter than a sand crab. Same sort of meat distribution as well.

You should be stoked that you caught one!! top catch.

anyway, just a pix to share. sandcrabs from back in Malaysia- smack in the middle of the harbour :D.

The new captain on our 2nd ship was amazing lol. to avoid ppl nicking our crabs, he made a float by filling a plastic bag partially with air, so that it sort of suspended in mid-water, and used that to mark the pots instead of a proper float lol.. and after leaving them for 1 night in the harbour, he could still find them the next morning! how he managed to pull that off certainly beats me! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/crab.JPG

post-1023-144598416359_thumb.jpg

Like a lot of animals they have more than one name depending where you're from. (E.G. Carton/ slab/ box; Squire/snapper; Jade Perch/Barcoo grunter; Golden Perch/ Callop/Yellowbelly.....)

They're also called musk crabs in places.

Crucifix = cruciata which probably = feriatus somewhere.

In the end you can call 'em coral crabs and people will know what you're talking about I would think.

Archived