2 x 20 inch wire trace?

webbfunk

Hi All,

I'm still yet to try and make my own wire traces. In the mean time would there be a issue with strength if I could join two pre-made 20 inch wire traces togethor?

I'd probably use one of the clips from the end of one of the spare pre-made traces to join them togethor.

Or should I just start trying to make my own traces?

sounds like it should do the job. I'm not sure what you mean about using one of the clips from a spare trace to join them together though. from what i recall, there is a clip on one and end a swivel on the other right? just clip straight to the swivel, and you should have a pretty good 40 inch trace. Clip on your hook and tie on to the swivel.

remember though, although the swivels and traces are rated for certain strnegth any extra join in your rig is a potential weakness.

I've done it before, making your own traces is not hard, the black nylon wire ones you dont need to crimp, they reckon on the pack you can twist them then melt the wire for a good strong join. $5 to $7 for 10m at Big W or Kmart, or your local tackle shop.

Sounds loke the old hot twist joint. We used to use it at telstra for joining wires together. Made heaps of overtime as a result of joints failing. Problem partly due to inconsistent heating of joint. You had to get it right too little heat the plastic wouldnt flow and too much burnt it.

I would rather use crimps.

Ray

Only made a few in my time but always thought that I definately knew when the crimps had taken but the melting always left me wondering. You can always add an extra crimp or two if you are really unsure. ( I don't see why an extra crimp would make a difference sharking, maybe if you were chasing tailor but hey i don't really know.:unsure: ) Does anyone know about this?

a crimping tool is an investment, they need oil if kept around a salty environment, jinkai make a good one, had one for a few years.

learn how to tie the simple flemish eye in the wire and use the soft alloy sleeves crimped the full length and you will not have to many troubles.

Don't know what I was on about as far as connecting them togethor, as like you said Alshilux there is already a clip there.

I tried it and it worked now worries, but didn't get a true test with a bullshark, just bigg catties and a Pike Eel.

I'll get a crimping tool this week tho and give it a go.

Was dragged along (oops helping) shopping today, and Coles has 45 kilo nylon coated trace wire for $5 a 10m spool. So it is pretty freely available! Snuck a roll into the trolley :whistle:

Also dont forget its a bit hard to get a second hook in the livie with the shop bought traces, when you make them, you put two hooks on the line whilst making it.

With shop bought ones you would probably need 2 traces and two hooks in the fish, connecting to a third trace attached to the line. Sounds like a good recipe for an almighty tangle!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/25 16:12

Sounds good Feral...I'll have a look tomorrow.

I've been using a 6oz snapper lead and then a wire trace coming off the line about 2 - 3 feet up from the sinker.

How far up from the sinker should it be? (I've been trying for bullsharks in the river, and using pilchards on 6/0 gangs.)

I only ever use the black coated traces. Before a session I usually make up five or six connected to a set of gangs.

I just thread the wire through the swivel or hook and twist around 2-3 inches of wire as even as possible around the length of trace. It helps to hold this in place with a pair of needle nose pliers while you get your lighter ready.

The best advice I could give when doing this is to use the blue flame to melt the coating otherwise it catches on fire and melts all the plastic off. It doesnt need much flame, you will see when its ready. Also dont let go of the pliers till the plastic has cooled.

Ive never lost a shark on that trace due to the join unravelling.

the twist weld stuff is unbreakable if you do a decent knot before melting. I have caught all my sharks on this stuff and a lot of them didn't have crimps on as a backup.

An easy yet very strong knot that I tie is simply 6 - 8 overhead knots, and each one tightened up by sawing the free end from side to side with the longies. If done properly it looks like a form of plait. A little bit of heat and the plastic melts nicely into the plait to lock it. This will never slip!!!!

in response to ferals trace ideas,

i think an easier way with store bought traces is to just buy a pack of 6/0 hooks for ganging and just squeeze one onto the trace. exactly the same set up as your home made trace.

I think running the 3 trace rig would be a bit of a pain and as you say, asking for an almighty tangle..

just my two cents.

Archived