Weekend away for the AFO Wanderers

dassa

so how did you guys go rob anything on the troll.
we got not 1 strike trollin, trolled for a while and from spot to spot, got some advice but to late to try it, but always next weekend, had some of the gun lures out too. grrrrrrrr:( mark got some boated on saturday and when we left, the mail was he had 6 boated.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went out to palmie,came back with a donut. spoke to the guy measuring the fish for research and he said not one fish caught today, i saw a small cobia caught.bar crossing this morning was a bit scary. There always next week.

Hey Bri - I was out there this morning also and got a donut too. Without a sounder we just kept pulling up near other boats, then within 20mins they would all move (kept joking with my Kiwi uncle that he must stink!!), then we'd move and start again and same thing kept happening. Kept a close eye on the other boats and yep, didn't see one thing boated.

On the plus side, got more practice at bar crossings (only my second time). I thought the Bar was a bit tricky this morning - pretty sure last time we stayed towards the right on the way out, but when we got to the mouth this morning we waited with 3 other boats and watched a larger (about 18ft) one duck to the left of the rockwall, then sit in that water waiting, then head off through. Makes me wonder which way I would have went (if at all) if there weren't others to watch first - and how things would have turned out!!!! Luckily I had my uncle who is very experience with his bigger boat over in NZ.

Tried the mackeral rig - first attempt the pilly was too frozen so just used some 8lb line to tie it along the trace. Next one worked well though (once I got rid of the annoying, tiny little bit of wire tail sticking out slightly that kept catching in the fish) and the bait stayed well presented the whole session (we headed in about 10am). Would much preferred to see it disappear down a Macks gob of course!!

Once it became pretty apparent that PBR was mack-less I started wondering where they all were. Saw boats further out (9 mile reef??) and thought maybe there, but then there were boats heading back in from there by 8am so figured it must be quiet, so then started thinking Tugger and the boys might have them all at Mermaid.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and in spite of the lack of fish today I have definitely learnt a few things this week.

Kelvin.

Yeah you prob would have been there then Bri as we were about the same time. Yeah when we got there there was the bigger boat about to run to the left, another in the middle and sounds like you on the right. We came in between you and the other guy, my motor can be tricky finding neutral with so we did on 360 and the slowly headed to the right and made a run for it. It certainly wasn't easy.

Shame I didn't put it in neutral as prob would have chatted to you - you going next weekend?

Kelvin.

Yeah you prob would have been there then Bri as we were about the same time. Yeah when we got there there was the bigger boat about to run to the left, another in the middle and sounds like you on the right. We came in between you and the other guy, my motor can be tricky finding neutral with so we did on 360 and the slowly headed to the right and made a run for it. It certainly wasn't easy.

Shame I didn't put it in neutral as prob would have chatted to you - you going next weekend?

Kelvin.

I think i remenber you uncle he was pointing all different directions,

Yep going next weekend,see you there have a chat.

Archived