Boyne meets Awoonga wall

Brian D

I finally have something to post, sorry it's been so long but it is not because I forgotten about my southern friends, it's just I have had nothing to brag about. I don't know if you have heard or not but Pikes Crossing has some trapped Barra and everyone in the world is attacking them.

Pikes Crossing sits between the Bruce Highway and and Awoonga dam wall. There are 2 weirs between the H'way and the wall and the Barra are trapped. At the moment there is enough water to get a small tinny in there but as soon as the dam stops overflowing it will be yak or swim as there is no access by land.

The first trip up I only got to the 3rd set of rapids and caught nothing, 2nd trip I made it to the wall and only managed cat fish, 3rd trip I was Chilly determined.

On the way up everyone I spoke to said the fish were jumping on the lures, any lure, just throw a fork out and you'll hook up. I paddled like the wind to get there at 5pm and was staying until I caught a fish even if it took me all night. On arrival there was only 1 boat left and they were not fishing. They quickly advised me that I was about half an hour too late. Ar bugger, not that story again I thought.

I fished anyway and here's some photos

dam wall from the other side

post-118-144598580506_thumb.jpg

As close as one can get to the spillway

post-118-144598580518_thumb.jpg

Better then a donut catty

post-118-144598580532_thumb.jpg

Finally got one

post-118-144598580541_thumb.jpg

On my trusty Rover with souped up hooks

post-118-144598580559_thumb.jpg

It broke my new graphite rod too the bugger but I still landed it

post-118-144598580568_thumb.jpg

Thaks for the report. I have been following the turkey shoot on sweetwater and was worried that you were too busy to aprticipate. I have been tempted to come up and have a go but its hard to get motovated and drag myself away from the redclaw.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Ray

Nice fish chilli I was going to send you a pm about the river below the wall because I was talking to the guys at tackle world sandgate yesterday and they were saying that all you basicly have to do is throw a any lure in and there getting barra. Looks like I might have to make a quick trip from bundy over the easter break.NICE

gotta love the barra!

well done Brian! What lure is that?

cheers

ty

lure was a 128 rover surface pencil with extra strong owner size 2 hooks.

It was quite an exicting catch as the fish hit it from below and went air straight away. I was worried about all the slack line and gill rackers or snags but when I got the 2metres of 80lb leader to the rod tip I figured I had her. Thats when the rod broke.

Thaks for the report. I have been following the turkey shoot on sweetwater and was worried that you were too busy to aprticipate. I have been tempted to come up and have a go but its hard to get motovated and drag myself away from the redclaw.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Ray

It's not that much fun to urge you for a trip up. It is really quite an aggressively busy place with all semi pros, experts and people that think they have ownership. A lot of boats try and wipe you out as they fly past the narrow passages. They even aim their lures at the yak. I don't think I'll go back until the boats are finished.

Wild Cattle Island is a different story. That's my next outing, I hear there is lots of action and plenty of variety.

Red Claw - I'll go and have a look at your posts.

Here's the damage to the rod - it was fun trying to land the thing on a 4 piece rod.

post-118-144598581179_thumb.jpg

It was a faviourite because of the short pistel grip

post-118-14459858119_thumb.jpg

Here's the rover, note the 2 strands left of the feather tail. Lucky Ray gave me some horse hair lures from yestayear. I'll use them to feather up the tail.

post-118-1445985812_thumb.jpg

I went there yesturday and it is stuffed. We have had so much rain the dam is overflowing with gusto again. Don't bother coming up to fish that area. The water has risen by about a metre and flowing really fast for a pond. I'll let you know when it settles down.

cheers mate,still might try and get up there,i wouldnt mind fishin the power station.

The station has been a bit quiet of late, haven't heard of any good catches for a while, however someone told me the intake was doing OK. I fished the power station from yak a month ago for only a small barra. I haven't been able to get the timing right with the tides. I might have a go this week and let you know.

well done mate been waiting for a barra report from ya

Cheers mate - the place is flooding again so not much to post tis week.

really?? I was at banaraby all weekend flew back today (monday) and there going off there heads mate. wesfish netted a slugish huuuuuuuuuge barra in the first 30 seconds trevs and tarpon too there busting up every where.I failed to get any barra to the net. the hook ups are unreal.But you gotta get your arse down to the harbour head up past the bridge up to the big cat thats moored there. sight fish threadies on the flats on tiny blades.and pikes crossing was flat out with action monday morning. it rained most of the weekend but didnt seem to shut em down.

7mtr pink and green is the colour

oh yeah power station not good. banaraby, pikes,and the rocks in the harbour all produced the hook ups, ;):) might fly back up again this weekend if the SE are blowin

That's great Mick, I'm happy you and Wes got plenty of fish. Have you heard of anything this week? It's still raining and I am not heading up to pikes until it settles, the outflow makes the paddle too hard. I might have a go at Tannum from the boat this week if I get the time but when I saw it last week it looked like crap.

If I don't get the time I might just have a go at the harbour or Auckland Inlet.

BTW I had a go at wild cattle and didn't make it to the fish up river and the queenies were few near the mouth.

Archived