Stargazer Recipe

Gad

if you`ve eaten anywhere that dishes up a Mock Lobster dish on their menu chances are it`s Monkfish(Stargazer)

here`s a recipe

Stargazer fillets, about 200 grams each

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp paprika

2 tblsp plain bread crumbs

1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

In a bowl combine the butter, paprika, salt, pepper and mix well.

Place the fish on baking paper on a tray and brush evenly with butter mixture. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly down the centre of the fish fillets and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

Edit...forgot to mention skin the fish...and don`t over cook it

Do you just fillet the ugly things like normal??

My filleting way is a variant from what I was originally shown, after gutting fish,behead the fish with a vertical cut,where the head comes off the body work the knife point between the skin and the flesh right around the cut area to allow you to get a fingers under the skin and get a grip of the skin and work/pull it off the body.

With the fish sitting/lying on it`s stomach,slice down one side along the back bone,then do the other side.Then trim your fillets up.

What the guy who showed me did,was when the fish was skinned, by laying it on the stomach, he started a cut down both sides of the spine at the head end.

As he went along cutting from side to side he would be lifting the spine up,so when he got to the end of the spine,he had his two separate fillets done.

By doing it this way his finished fillets after trimming were better than what I produced

Edit...forgot to mention after gutting,with fish on it`s stomach,starting at the tail end,with knife held flat cut just under the skin and slice towards the head end and take off the dorsal fin...helpful step,if you hand peel the skin off.

Archived