Kooka 1-6-07 Nite Run

Lozzel

Decided to give the usual place another hit. Arrived at ramp 6.15pm (bad move to launch at dead low tide) Casted for some livies . Ray left me a couple of herring and prawns :P.With what we had went to spot on corner chasing Threadies. Not much happening till tide started to run, then the Catties moved in, Set up big rod with live herring about 5ft below float at 7pm,Settled in to catch the usual rubbish.

At 7.30 the reel on the float line was off ,short fight and in comes a 85cm Bullie ,not bad that'll do for tea Sat.

Put the line back out with another live herring (hoping for a threadie) at 8.00 off she goes again , This time long runs ,pulling drag and jumping. Beauty a threadie & a bigun I thought. Came in a 99cm Bullie, missed out on the 1mtr by that much.

All went quite after that,tried a couple of other spots for bream but no cigar. Pulled out at 10.15pm.

The 2nd Bullie was tagged, and before you jump about taking a tagged fish, he was bleeding from gills hooked deep , so kept him for a friend . [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN0679.JPG

post-742-144598416311_thumb.jpg

They grow fairly quickly in length up to a point.Then some of the growth goes into the width. It's not always about length - sometimes it's about girth.

Nice catch too. It would have been more than a metre once you throated him Loz. You just measued him too soon;)

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/06/02 15:00

Yeap good one Lozzel. Interesting about the growth and weight but surely you can do better then Baked beans.;)

That gives support to what Angus says about the bullies staying around the area and in the river. but on the other hand maybe the shark just returned to a feeding ground.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/02 22:18

Yea Brian, I often wondered if they stay in the river.

I was talking to the bloke at Suntag and he said,\" Dont be surprised if you catch them with more than 1 tag, some have been tagged several times. The one I caught should have had 2 tags ,but had lost the first tag. So it seems they do stay arround the same aera.

He put up a good fight too, I didn't realise that Bullies jump out of water when hooked.

Post edited by: Lozzel, at: 2007/06/06 19:42

thanks Lozzel mate! I can't believe I actually missed a shark report lol!!! That 99 cm bullie is a ripper.

Interesting to see a few still being caught, and to get two at this time of year is a top effort!

ps - We landed a tagged one last season too.

Archived