Squid

Trumby

I just want to know if any of you good people chase squid at all? I rather fancy a feed of fresh calamari. The guy at Budd's suggested Victoria Point. Information such as tides and times would be appreciated. I have a boat, so land based locations need not be the only options. Thankyou for your time.

mate, since im landbased i can't help you with a boat location but from the land Manly Harbour does it for me.

The William Gunn Jetty is where i've tried and done pretty well at, at times. Inbetween the cafe and the walkway to the new pontoon (you'll get it if you know the jetty or when you get there). Getting them off them jigs and in the cast net if i can see them.

Tides and times....in all honesty i didn't really take notice of these details when i was cathing them.

im far from educated in this....i think its just been trial and error for me. But I have been using a Green tiger striped and Orange tiger striped jig with glow in the dark bits around the eyes and mouth parts.

Technique - a quick flick upwards (maybe about a foot of tip movement), let it sink. repeat. Or a slow retrieve with a couple of lil flicks thrown in (half a foot movement). In all honesty i haven't really figured out a method of consistantly catching them. They seem to just jump onboard.

sorry....i know that wasn't really all that helpful.

Dont ask Do$tylz,:evil: i've seen his misses catch more squid then i have seen him catch, she should write something up here :evil: :woohoo: Sorry Mate, he is right about the spot though, The Gunn jetty on an incoming tide on cold winters nights usually does it, best indication is having a walk during the day on local jetties looking for black ink spots, that is the best clue.

Keep the jig about a foot off the bottom jigging as Do$tylz has prescribed, the squid hunt just off the bottom for prawns or just under the surface for baitfish on top of the water so if there are bait fish around keep it close to the top if not try a foot off the bottom,

Hope that all helps

Here's a few more squid tips:

Squid hide mostly during the day, where??

Seagrass beds and kelp beds are preferred areas but can also be caught anywhere that weed grows. I have caught most of my squid during daylight hours around these areas.

Their Masters of camouflage...

Squid jig colours/size:

Fluoro green and pink both with tiger stripes have worked the best and as for the size bigger is better. As for brands any brand that resembles a king prawn will work...

Squid jig Rigs:

Most common it to tie the jig directly to the end of a strong leader. This method for me has accounted for many lost jigs and big squid. The jigs are often snagged in weedy areas or pulled back by the squid into their weedy lair... Squid do pull hard on drag especially the big ones.

My prefered method of rigging is to use a \"paternoster\"(hope the spellings right), set with about 1ft+ between the sinker and jig this will allow you to stay in very close contact with the weed bed without snagging...

Squid jigging method:

Cast out into likely areas, let sink to the bottom but do keep some tension on the line once at the bottom as to not allow the lure to snag up this is where the \"paternoster\" rig come in handy. With a slow lift and retrieve till rod is in a vertical position then let it sink again and repeat. Gently does it!!

When a squid takes your jig you will feel a slight pulsing vibration depending on it size or a hell drag stripping run and of coarse the jig will want to go in another direction. Keep tension on the line until the squid is near by but remember as soon as its lifted from the water its gunna make a horrible mess with its ability to squirt ink so point it at ya mate!!;)

One more thing try not to let them ink in the water if possible as this will deter other squid..

To date my larges caught squid(not a cuttlefish)is just over 3 feet long not including the tenticles and resulted in over 60 cal ring using the above mentioned methods...but the smaller ones are much more tender when eating......:)

Sorry to rammble again just thought I would share a few of my tips... Hope these help..

I really appreciate all the information you guys are giving me. I should have mentioned i've caught squid during a trip to Stansbury on the Eyre Peninsula in S.A. and off the rocks at Amity Point, but it is this side of the bay I was needing info for, but I guess where there's weed beds, there's squid. Thanks Guys.

Archived