Shark Shield

Alby

Hi Guys

Well, I've done it.....I've ordered my shark shield for my kayak. I've been paddling, surfing, for years, and never been \"hassled\" by sharks. I've had a few come near me, a couple of them being of significant size. On those occasions though, I wasn't fishing. I now find myself getting really keen to go \"out wide\" in the open ocean chasing palagics and snapper. The thing that's been holding me back is those big men in grey suits that follow the humpbacks. To my way of thinking more humpbacks means more great whites.... and we're seeing more humpbacks every year, and they're coming in close to the headlands more and more, epsecially with young.

Soooo, I called in to the Brisbane distributors of sharkshield today and ordered a \"Surfer\" model. It's specifically designed for surfboards, skis, and kayaks. It's got a mounting bracket and a rechargeable 6-7 hr battery. I got it at the boat show special price of $600, which I think is the standard price anyway.

Only one problem, I want it by 22/06/07, but they're in such demand that there's a wait until mid July.

I've fished offshore (NSW north coast) in my kayak many times before, but now that i've ordered this thing, there's no way I'm doing it again until I get it. I'd be really shitty if I got taken whilst waiting for my sharkshield!

I'll keep you all posted as to how it fits, and what I think of it, but I'm totally convinced they work.

Alby

If you want more info just google it. I've doen a fair bit of research, and no, they have no effect on other fish, and yes they definitely repel sharks. Sharks have sensory receptors known as Ampullae of Lorenzini, which are the target of electronic pulse from the sharkshield. This was even confirmed by a zoologist friend of mine....without prompting. I even saw an epsiode of Getaway / Great Outdoors (not sure which) where Ben Dark went diving of a WA open ocean reef. His comment when he came up was that it like a pinball machine. The sharks just bounced off, yet all the other marine life just swam through as if nothing was going on. There a lots of testimonials to read on the net.

I also have a friend working on the mines in WA, and he goes diving all the time......He ALWAYS wears his sharkshield. He's even joked with us about daring us to troll lures behind a kayak or ski over there without one. He reckons the noahs are THICK AS!

Oh, and so are the crays, reef fish, palagics.... a real fisherman's paradise.

:-)

The \"Shark exclusion zone\" is 3 to 5 metres, so if one gets interested..... and I see it, my heart will be in my mouth for a while. I guess it'd be a bit like a rock climber trusting a rope for the first time. I reda an article about a kayaker in NZ who didn't have one. He was burleying and had a long multi hook line out for snapper. A 6m great white appeared and strted taking his fish off the line and then got interested in him, nudging the kayak persistently. Apparently he started vomitting and crapped himself (literally), but managed to get close enough to shore that the shark vacated. I NEVER want to be in that position. I want to fish the reefs off Noosa, and also Waddy Point and Middle Rocks and Indian Head on Fraser Island. I've seen how thick, and big the sharks are off Fraser. Even with the shark shield it's going to be extremely un-nerving going out there. :woohoo: I might have to work up to it.

Alby it would be worth considering maybe scoring a days fishing trip with someone who has a HUGE boat thats is capable of a wide trip. Take your shark shield with you and berley for some of the BIG boys get them right up between the 3m to 5m zone and turn it on to see what happens.

If it repels them you should see them flee immediately and thats a good thing and this will also help to build your confidence... :)

That sounds like a damn good idea Dazza. To see them bolt as soon as you switch it on would have to make you feel more confident.

When I'm paddling around headlands in clear water I always get the heeby-jeebies when I look down and see I'm going past a drop off into really deep water. The brain can't help imagining a big mouth coming straight up at me. To not get that feeling would be excellent.

I was looking to get one to dive and snokel with at Moreton, but at the Wrecks at Tangalooma there a heaps of Wobegongs and i just wonder if you were swimming close to them would they go nuts.

Cause there are some big mommas there and i wouldnt really want one getting trapped in the wreck then getting angry?

And what about stingrays? I thought they had fairly similar anatomy when it came to sensing their prey in the water?

Joel

Interesting points. I guess some enquiries with dive operateors / clubs / dive shops might give you the answers. From what I've learned I don't think it's a case of sharks getting angry at any stage. They just hate it and bolt as fast as they can, apparently leaving the are altogether, not just circling outside the exclusion zone. I've read stories about great whites, just turning tail and clearing ot never to be seen again. I can see how a situation could be scrarey with a wobbygong and you being in a confined space in a wreck and the wobbygong going crazy trying to get out of there. If it effects them that is.

I see heaps of rays in the Bribie passage, but I hadn't planned on using it there, just in open ocean. I guess I could try it and see. Sometimes i can cruise over the top of a ray in a foot of water without them taking off.

Nah, I haven't got it yet. Just when I'm in the kayak in the Bribie passage and creeks. If rays have the same receptors as sharks you won't get closer than 3m - 5 metres before they take off. I wouldn't go diving / snorkelling off Moreton without one. Complete peace of mind for a few hundred dollars in an area known for sharks, it's got to be worth it.

Got my Shark Shield today!

Looks pretty darn good. Here are a few images showing the complete unit, and how it comes apart. The last image shows teh control knob. Battery lasts about 7 hours. The mounting plate glues onto the bottom of your kayak. I don't think there'll be much drag, especially for fishing. I'm a bit concerned about fish getting tangled in the dangling electrode. I'm thinking that I may have a loose cord from the end tied to a deckline at the rear end so it hangs maybe a foot or two below the kayak.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/SS1_1.jpg

Post edited by: Alby, at: 2007/06/23 00:02

post-282-144598418713_thumb.jpg

Well Alby, I just hope it works when needed. If I was a yakker I'd have one even if it slowed the paddling speed by half and caused my line to get tangled occasionally. Whilst it would be interesting to hear that it has been effective if it never has to be employed I'm sure you'll be happier. (If you know what I mean);)

:)

Hi Guys

Well, it worked! I paddled around a bit in the big puddle and I'm here to tell the tale.:lol:

Actually the whole thing started with a bit of frustration. I definitely should have bought it well before I went holidaying on the NSW North Coast.

The mounting plate has to be glued to the hull and requires a weight such as a shopping bag full of sand to be on it for 48 uninterrupted hours before you can use your kayak......for anything other than a bar....and then you have to be careful where you put your drink!:P

So...low swell, calm seas for the first two days, and then rain and big swell leading into sun, 20 knot freezing s/w to w winds, and hoooge swell. I got outside for about an hour on one day and decided I didn't want to end up at Lord Howe.

No fish, but enough time for me to learn heaps about the unit. The glue on mounting bracket seems very sound. It's designed to replace the kicker base on a surfboard, so it must be able to take some punishment.

Paddling wise....it must have some drag, but it's certainly negligible. Especially at trolling speed. To keep the tail (an 8' long and contains the two electrodes)from dragging on the reef on the way out I tied about 1m length of cord to the end and to one of my rear deck lines. The key thing here is to make sure ALL of the tail is in the water at all times. The tail is abrasion resistant, but I also thought of it as a safety line incase the bracket came loose.....who's paranoid! hehe

I glued the bracket on just in front of where I sit and it's easy to check if it's emitting a signal....juts reach under, grab the cable, and slide your hand backwards along it....You'll know when you reach the first electrode:woohoo: Not a pleasant feeling, but soOOoo reassuring.

Does it work? How do you tell?...stay in one piece and upright I guess. I doubt you would see or be aware of most sharks that came for a look. Other than in clear water and maybe if it was chasing your fish. I can live with that......I did get into a river down there though, once with it near the mouth, and once without it. I got two nice duskies, a bream and a 1m longtom that made a mess of a brand new lure. Got fish with and without it in about 2m water.

I must say...re the shark thingy....It has my confidence.

;) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_3753a_1a.jpg

Great waves!

Post edited by: Alby, at: 2007/06/28 22:58

Post edited by: Alby, at: 2007/06/28 23:27

post-282-144598419216_thumb.jpg

Oh.....ever done this?

Caught a nice greenback 300m from shore....whilst land based?

Kite fishing works! My mate Al with the fish....he gave it to our mate Chris, who'd purchased the set-up....Um...one fish.....$200 per fillet! hehehe

Great set-up though, High and low wind kites, 500m cord on a big game reel and roller runner rod. Didn't we create some interest!

The kit consists of a DVD, a roller runner game rod, a fairly big overhead reel fitted with 500m of kite cord, a large and small kite for varying wind conditions, and a clip!

The clip initally runs freely on the kite cord. You get the kite flying at it's lowest stable altitude, about 50-60ft of cord, the clip will be sitting at the rod tip. You then tie a blood knot below the clip on the line at that sets how far you need to retrieve the kite cos that's where the clip will sit.

A loop is put in your line about 1.5m up from your bait / lure. There is a s/steel release hook on the clip that can be adjusted to suit the weight of your tackle and release effort desired.

Now you're set to launch:P

We were dropping a pilly about 300m from shore. Retrieving the kite for the next drop is a pain in strong conditions unless you have a team. We found pulling the cord in by hand and having the guy on the reel just filling up the spool worked best. To release in the desired drop zone just stop the line from pulling off your reel. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_3672_1.jpg

Post edited by: Alby, at: 2007/07/01 21:18

post-282-144598419729_thumb.jpg

Alby, I was just reading one of your older posts about the drop offs. I'm not sure how deep you're talking, but I know from experience that you do get use to it.

First time you're out there you can't help but think \"This is where I want to catch 10+ft sharks.... and here I am in a small kayak?\"

With the kite fishing, is that using the kite as a deployment method?

While I was reading Albys Kite Post, I recalled watching the Kiwis run out their KONTIKI lines the same way.

These lines were conected to a large drum reel on the beach, 1000mts of line and upto 50 traces coming off the main line.

An interesting way to fish and very productive, If the sharks leave it alone.

From New Zealand FISHING NEWS mag [img size=363]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Scan20005.JPG

post-742-144598419817_thumb.jpg

Hehehe

The Kiwis really know how to do things....except play rugby league! hehe

We had lots of laughs talking about connecting a cordless drill to the reel.....and having a little chute on a pully so that we could just run outa drop line and retrieve it each time....easier than pulling the kite back in.

The guy with the binoculars is spotting to say when the guy with the fishing rod needs to lock his reel so the bait drops. He's using the binoculars because he's half blind! :P

Heard lots of stories from old(er) guys who'd seen it done in WA. I reckon we had 20 people hanging around at one stage....I had to delegate giving explanations to the wife! B)

Post edited by: Alby, at: 2007/07/02 21:12

Archived