June BASS - general chat

Lozzel

Hi All ; Not being picky but I think we should not be using the other thread for general chat about FOM. It is for the ENTRIES only.

So I started this one.

My 2 cents worth is \"that we rely on the honesty of the person placing the post\" and also you can get a fair idea of the size. Even if it maybe a little out of focus by sun or exposure.

I dont think anyone is trying to be unfair.

Laurie

chalk up another from the peanut gallery.

i dont think anyone should rely on honesty its not a tag and release comp, its photo and measure.

a fish is at its best straight out of the water, i can attest to chilled fish becoming shorter by a cm or 2, if you happen to leave your brag mat at home and do have to wait several hours to properly measure the fish it will be smaller.

considering that is quiet likely and noone is going to think it fair to add a cm or 2 a fresh caught fish should only be as good as the brag board shows it to be seeing there is that advantage.

Thanks Laurie I should have known better. I tried to remove my posts but was unsuccessful.

Anyhow basicly what I said is that possibly due to the image resizing it is very hard to accuratly determine the actual measurement. Maybe it should be required that an unresized photo should be sent to the webby. Brag mats are not terribly accurate but whatever is used has to be portable and accurate.

I know that bragmats can vary by a couple of mills in a metre but if a metal tape is used it is difficult to get an accurate start point for the measuring.

As i said in the other post that I removed wouldnt it be good if someone jagged a 60cm one.

Ray

An extract from the RULES

To be eligible for the prize, you will need photographic proof taken on the day of the catch showing the whole fish (preferably next to something to gauge scale i a ruler or your hand), as well as a photo of the angler with the fish. You will be able to capture all of this in one photo generally but with some of the larger species you may need to take a couple, one showing the whole fish and one showing the angler with the fish, although in this shot the fish does not have to be shown in full (ie for large fish that are not taken out of the water)

To be eligible for the prize, each entry must be submitted in the correct format with all required information provided (An example is outlined in the forum). Please submit ONLY entries in the forum category marked entries and use the other forum category to chat about the entries.

My thoughts;;

The ruler or brag mat or your hand is only there to guage the size.

As you can see in previous posts,(April,May etc) No measuring device (ruler or brag mat)is used to show the length.The length was taken at the word of the entrant.And should be this month also.

Thats my say on the subject.

Laurie

Post edited by: Lozzel, at: 2007/06/14 21:56

Laurie the word may have been taken but there were no other entrants to bring it to question.

if there is a clause its the part about preferable scale hand or ruler.

i think when 3 guys have the same size fish the scrutiny of said preferable guage of scale is considerably different.

just like being an origin video reff, you wouldnt go down the pub after:laugh:

Doesn't bother me because I can never catch a fish big enought to worry you experts!:P

Let the Admin tell us the rules and let the participants catch the fish. No need to worry - it's all fun!

However if it changed my bank balance or affected my family you would see my attitude fiercely change but seeing this is only a social sport I think we should lighten up and enjoy the service!

Karma me if you don't like what I said :P :P :P and Karma me if you do.

some other websites that do fish of the month comps have an object that must be placed in the photo with the fish and only anounce what the object is at the start of each month

IE;may carkeys

june a knife

july ? till the 1st of july

it keeps the entries honest as to when they were caught at least

I am just wondering how Jordan is going to get a photo of himself and his stonker bass he caught while \"swim trolling\" in the middle of the dam. Be a bit hard to swim to shore, bass in one hand rod in the other and camera between the teeth!

• 2 weeks later...

maybe if there is a tie, give the first one to be reported the crown???

BTW I think we should go by merit, ie any bass caught by a mad loony \"swim-trolling\" in the middle of winter, in the middle of a dam with a bucket on his head should get a prize!!!! (some might argue a kick in the rump:P)

cheersB)

I might have missed something, but just reviewed the entries for the month and there is a 56cm, 2 x 55cm, and a 53.5cm. Sounds like there is a winner to me at 56cm.

But come on seriously, we are not playing for sheep stations here. Dont we all fish for fun and enjoyment? If you win something then its all the more just a bonus.

And in the event of a draw, I would suggest first one to post that length is the winner, and I will buy the runner up a beer if they are that cut about it.

As it has been said already, i think we might be getting into this a little too much. The comp was (i thought) created to let us engage in a friendly comp amongst ourselves. Now i know bragging rights alone are worth the tussle, but its not like we competeing for thousands of $'s! If cheating or stretching the truth(or fishes tail;) ) takes place,thats sucks for sure. But id say that most of us here are pretty honest guys, and those who arent will end up getting caught out at some time or other.

Not all of us have brag mats too. my only measuring device when land based is a rusted out measure tape, on which most numbers cant be read. On the boat, i have a ruler sticker, but it would be hard show all the fish and the numerical values in 1 shot, as the writing is prtty small.

I say take face value, have a beer and enjoy the serenity (THAP!)

I didnt notice there was a 56cm one i was under the impression there was two 55cm entries..... in which case you can disregard my earlier post as hey there already is a winner.

Yes i agree we arent fishing for stations that hold the sheep but on the other hand its a form of competative sports and boys will be boys.....

Feral wrote:

Did you see this stonker caught by Dec? 57cm!

Missed the fish of the month by one day!

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=191&page=view&catid=40

Feral i did see that! Dec also contacted me about it. I kinda felt bad for him, one day late and all. But rules are rules. If you bend them once precedent is set. Anyway id just be happy catching that beast!

Angus

Archived