new areal gets great reception

mick fillet

wasn't sure wether to choose a sharking catorgy or fresh water report so i went with rod n reel :silly: cause thats what this post is about the new rod :woohoo: its a areal 2-4kg 6ft6 and its armed with an elcheapo 2500 sahara :pinch: packed to the max with 8lb with about 4mtrs of 20 lb wind on leader then 1mtr of tuff trace and 1mtr of 30lb wire. all measured out so i can grab the leader when landing it as i was land based.

The reel i picked up at the last swap meet for 15 bucks of kriso. B) gota luv ya swap meets!!!!

the new areal didnt really handle casting live bait ( 25cm boney bream) ok probly not the best idea seaming its such a light rod class but i found a way round it,eventually i get the bait way out in the middle of the river.was only about 5 mins and the reel started screaming and about 30 mins later i pull a bullie up on the bank.

man can these rods cop a smoking. the areal was absolutly buckled over even the real seat had a curve in it, there awsome rods absorbing the vicious runs from the little bullie.its not exactly a rod you can hang on to with 2 hands so by the end of the fight my wrist was rather sore. i have confidance in the cababilitys of these rods of landing much larger fish on an even lighter line class.

post-5342-144598694458_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598694476_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598694493_thumb.jpg

released rather well

post-5342-144598694508_thumb.jpg

cheers mick

That is awesome Mick B) I really want a couple of those Nordic rods but can't really justify it at the moment seeing as I could lose them over the side of the yak ;)

Mate nearly lost it today - cast out, put it down to get into the yak, grabbed it as it was sliding to the edge. Pheww! Nearly bye bye ci4 and jaeger :blink:

That is awesome Mick B) I really want a couple of those Nordic rods but can't really justify it at the moment seeing as I could lose them over the side of the yak ;)

Mate nearly lost it today - cast out, put it down to get into the yak, grabbed it as it was sliding to the edge. Pheww! Nearly bye bye ci4 and jaeger :blink:

If you do lose it make sure you let me know where, i'll go play with the bullies :P :silly:

its going to be an epic summer of sharking this year. their is allready so many small bullies around and its only 1/4 way through the puping seasion.....

3 sessions for nada for me out near the mouth of the Logan. Looks like I'll have to head further upstream or to Mick's spot :evil:

3 sessions for nada for me out near the mouth of the Logan. Looks like I'll have to head further upstream or to Mick's spot :evil:

An old bloke at the Alberton ramp yesterday told me the bullies were more upstream at the moment past the junction on the Albert river and around waterford on the logan stretch. We fish around the gazebo on the bend in the logan for an hour and got 2 solid hits but each time the teeth marks were just short of the hooks, we use live poddies.

I looked quite seriously into some of the Nordic Stage series. From the feedback I've had from several tackle stores I frequent, these rods just don't cut it, and aren't made to handle the "Queensland" fishing scene. Obviously some of the comments on AFO don't show this. The people I have spoken to are trusted friends of mine, and it wasn't anything to do with getting "the sale". I guess its a case of whatever works for you!! Nice bullies, but has anyone landed some actual decent fish on these things. Bullies don't really count if you ask me. My 8 year old nephew can catch them on 6lb bream gear. The "gunslinger" i was looking at was about $100 cheaper thru the Norstream website as well, which was a bit disappointing when you think about it.

I looked quite seriously into some of the Nordic Stage series. From the feedback I've had from several tackle stores I frequent, these rods just don't cut it, and aren't made to handle the "Queensland" fishing scene. Obviously some of the comments on AFO don't show this. The people I have spoken to are trusted friends of mine, and it wasn't anything to do with getting "the sale". I guess its a case of whatever works for you!! Nice bullies, but has anyone landed some actual decent fish on these things.

Sounds like the tackle stores you go to have never actually used one :silly: I caught my first mack with a nordic rod and would highly recommend them. As you can see in my display picture the rod's got plenty of bend in it and Not once was I worried i was going to lose the fish or break the rod.

I'm yet to see a broken Nordic from anyone I know. They can easily survive the punishments from mackerel and bullsharks, thats all the proof I need.

having said that, if by "queensland fishing scene" you mean marlin and big big big trevs. then maybe nordic fishing rods aren't for you.

Hey dan. Interesting you bring that up :)

I'm not doubting the resource that gave you that info however the rods actually aren't in any stores yet and i'm unaware of anyone else in OLD (or australia) that have handled these rods previously.

Have we actually caught some real fish on these :) I guess you've been missing some of the reports we've been putting up.

But hey, i'm happy for opinions and would love to see if we can change your mind. I'll loan you my rod for as long as you need to test and I'd be more than happy for you to share your experience with it on AFO. Be good, bad or ugly. A genuine unbiased bit of feedback. Keen?

Henry, yeh those shops have never stocked them, they've just seen them i think. I do a lot of bridge fishing for Jacks and Trevs. I've heard they don't have enough guts and are better suited to creek fishing for trout and the like down south. This is the reason I thought they wouldn't suit my needs. Thanks for the offer though, but I already have a few to chose from.

Henry, yeh those shops have never stocked them, they've just seen them i think. I do a lot of bridge fishing for Jacks and Trevs. I've heard they don't have enough guts and are better suited to creek fishing for trout and the like down south. This is the reason I thought they wouldn't suit my needs. Thanks for the offer though, but I already have a few to chose from.

So you were never actually interested in the rods? :huh:

[quote name=

Dude' date=' I just said I had how I had looked into getting one, the feedback I heard came from some very respected fishos I know from a couple of tackle outlets. Mate if you like them and they suit your needs, then thats great.

Sorry brother, I misunderstood.

I'm still a little confused why you would post opinions of people you "think" have "seen" the rod. I'm even more confused about you knowing the rods can handle bullsharks but then saying " i do a lot of bridge fishing for Jacks and Trevs. I've heard they don't have enough guts and are better suited to creek fishing for trout and the like down south."

[quote name=

Dude' date=' I just said I had how I had looked into getting one, the feedback I heard came from some very respected fishos I know from a couple of tackle outlets. Mate if you like them and they suit your needs, then thats great.

Sorry brother, I misunderstood.

I'm still a little confused why you would post opinions of people you "think" have "seen" the rod. I'm even more confused about you knowing the rods can handle bullsharks but then saying " i do a lot of bridge fishing for Jacks and Trevs. I've heard they don't have enough guts and are better suited to creek fishing for trout and the like down south."

Ok mate I don't know why you're finding this so hard to understand??? Months ago I looked into some of these rods. After speaking with people who had seen them and hearing the feedback, I opted against it for the kind of fishing I'm mainly doing. The fact that they will land a bullie with no problem is no real challenge, I think we all know that. Like I have said, it's just what I've heard. If I hadn't already bought something else, then I would quite happily take Henry up on his offer to give it a go. Enough said mate, if you can't get your head around my opinion then I can't help you.

Henry, yeh those shops have never stocked them, they've just seen them i think. I do a lot of bridge fishing for Jacks and Trevs. I've heard they don't have enough guts and are better suited to creek fishing for trout and the like down south.

That's a very big call going off word of mouth without actually handling one of these rods in person. One of the best sessions i've had was catching 50cm+ trevs in a marina with a sharpshooter and 2lb fluro straight thru. These trevs were taking off under 2 or 3 arms with boats on them and I still managed to muscle them out on the sharpshooter and 2lb line. If you ask me that's a pretty good example to prove these rods can handle more than just catching trout in small steams.

:) you know Dan, I'd have to agree with you :)

These rods (edit - by these rods i mean the Areal range. There are other models we are working on bringing in that are more than capable of handling jacks and trevs around structure) are definitely not suited to be chasing trevs and jacks under bridges...nor bullies. It would certainly not be something I'd suggest to anyone who is seriously chasing those sort of species of fish.

I just personally love seeing someone push the limits of the rods :) sort of a personal fetish :D

The rods are certainly more suited to the likes of trout in streams and non-monster bass in the open waters (not for fish stuck in structure). In turning that into salt, these rods are more suited for bream :) bycatch optional. Using your bream as bait for sharks... again optional. Not recommended but optional.

Also, I'm pretty sure that we have only handed one of these rods to Peter Herbst at Tackle Warehouse. I don't recall how much he used it but we lent it to him for an ABT event that if I recall our conversation with him after the event his tactics for the day were dropshotting or deeper water work. Again.. not suited for this rod. There was 1 other guy at Tackle Warehouse that had a "flick" in the store with it when we brought it in. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other tackle store person that has had more than a "flick" instore.

If you ever do find yourself in the situation where you're chasing bream and the likes, get in contact with me :) and I'll be more than happy to lend you my rod. No other obligation other than giving a quick AFO report... even if you hated it.

Re the pricing, it translates to maybe $70 difference. Not considering transport costs and the extra value of being able to take advantage of the broken rod replacement warranty that only covers AU purchased rods. It's all relative.

Ps... you do know that Mick Fillet and anyone else that has written about these rods has not had any obligation to write about these?? Mick won this rod at the SOO comp and posted this off his own back. (Edit - i probably did ask him to test the rod and tell me what he thought.) The only person that has written BS about these rods (that we know of) is 1 person from interstate that published an article about having used our rods even though they hadn't and after we specifially told them not to. Unfortunately we can't control that.

Anyway... no dramas here. whens the next time we're having breaky at your joint??

Henry, yeh those shops have never stocked them, they've just seen them i think. I do a lot of bridge fishing for Jacks and Trevs. I've heard they don't have enough guts and are better suited to creek fishing for trout and the like down south.

That's a very big call going off word of mouth without actually handling one of these rods in person. One of the best sessions i've had was catching 50cm+ trevs in a marina with a sharpshooter and 2lb fluro straight thru. These trevs were taking off under 2 or 3 arms with boats on them and I still managed to muscle them out on the sharpshooter and 2lb line. If you ask me that's a pretty good example to prove these rods can handle more than just catching trout in small steams.

Lol man. Theres a big difference between fishing 2lb on a rod in a marina and then fishing bridges for jacks. Even you know that. I dont think the areals are particularly suited to that application.. Unless you want to get destroyed :lol:

Archived