Lenthalls Trip 25-29 June 07

Feral

Well just got back, What can I say. We took 200 live shrimp, (Ray picked them up before we left) and we stayed at Burrum River heads in the Hillcrest Van park. Lovely cabin, waterfront view, $210 for 4 nights.

Lenthalls was firing, Bass everywhere, had to hide in the bottom of the boat to bait up.

Day 1.

Raining, miserable, cold. But decided we were still going fishing!

Took about 50 live shrimp, hit the water about 8am. By 11am, bait all gone, 40 odd bass boated, shell shocked. Went back to cabin to dry out.

Day 2.

Rain gone, forecast 30 knot winds. Temperature about 5 degrees. Still going fishing! Took a swag of shrimp, left about 60 in the esky for tomorrow.Must of had 80 or 90 with us. Hit the water about 8am again, bass bigger, uglier, fat as mud and going like steam trains. Peeling 6lb braid on heavy drag like it was limp spaghetti. Had to upgrade the boys reels to 30lb braid, they could not control the fish on 8lb mono, just kept breaking the hooks off the paternoster rigs.

50 odd bass by 11am, out of bait. Multiple hook ups common, sure I missed counting fish in the frenzy. (I meticulously record every fish caught, no fishermans guestimates of catches for me!).

Day 3.

Forcast still 30 knots, cold enough for a victorian to put on a jumper! Only about 60 shrimp left. So we set off, on the water about 9am. Arm so sore from pulling in fish that I can barely lift a cup of coffee for breakfast. I decided to leave the bait for the kids, as did Ray, we fished with lures. The kids were reeling in fish after fish on straight 30lb braid. The kids got sick of it by about 11:30, so Ray and I finished of the bait getting 10 or so each. About 50 again, once again I lost count (baiting rerigging dehooking constantly I am sure I missed quite a few fish)

All up a minimum of 140 bass caught on 200 live shrimp. Not a single bite on Lures. One huge run on a fillet of Bass rig, ray had no hope of stopping it on the braid, took about a 30metre run, straight to a snag and snapped him off instantly.

Photo's to follow.

Hahahaha fillet of bass rig!!

Thats and awesome session Feral well done.

So deff a Barra you reckon that did Ray?

The only reason i ask is i saw that picture of teh 5 foot eel the eel trapper caught there. I bet it would fancy a fillet of bass :P

Angus

No wasnt a eel and too big for even a 60 cm bass . I was only using 6lb braid rigged paternoster style with no leader and it wore the braid through where it was looped through the eye of the hook. It was on my light loomis rod and it was locked up and fish was still peeling line off reel. Was fun while it lasted.

Did get an eel later on.

Ray

Paul Dolan and either a mate or a charter.

Had a long chat with Paul. He was a bit down on the bad press he and Big Unit get at Lenthalls, but otherwise seemed a good bloke. Certainly gave us the time of day to have a yarn anyway!

Looks like the rangers have been doing a fair bit at the Dam, keeping the boat ramp in action and the mess cleaned up around the place.

I did not catch up with Big Unit, did not realise it was him at the gate one morning, was busy showing my permits etc to the security guard. But Ray had a yarn with him in the trailer parking lot a bit later. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/paul_dolan_1.JPG

post-134-14459841926_thumb.jpg

A few more photos. This one our cabin. We were fortunate in that we scored the only one with drive through access.The cabin was of a high standard with airconditioninf, good size fridge,microwave, electric frypan and a full size 4 plate electric stove, double bed, 3 bunks and a convertible sofa and ensuite all for $55 per night.It was aprox another 20ks to drive but well worth it. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010631_AFO-6360c33f98129091c96e0235eb63f3a2.jpg

post-230-144598419296_thumb.jpg

Next day we found another spot where the fish were a little larger. Alex thought he had the fish of the month with this one it went like a steam train as he had foul hooked it through the dorsal. Note Callum with one on in the background. We spent a fair bit of time rerigging the kids lines until Feral gave them reels with 30 lb braid on so that we could have a bit of a fish also. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010637_AFO.jpg

post-230-144598419308_thumb.jpg

Archived