Noosa River Barra Fest!

Angus

What an awesome barra session! This has surely got to mean that Noosa river could now be classed as a very viable barra fishery.

Please dont think I'm trying to give offence or get up on a soapbox, but can't condone actively targeting barra in closed season (starting next week) which some respondees to this post seem to be planning, as its both illegal and unethical- the closed season is there for a reason and probably helped in a big way for the barra fishery in the far north to recover from the doldrums we had right up to the mid nineties, where barra were so rare a legal fish in populated areas was virtually front page news. In the Cairns fishing community its considered shameful and somebody obviously targeting barra in closed season is called 'fishing for pink eyed salmon'. Sometimes unavoidable to get a barra in closed season but not too hard to minimise accidental catches by not casting at snags where you can see a school of males holding, or fishing deeper water for fingermark instead etc etc.

I'll jump in on this one, as no doubt it is reflective of what I said before. Mate with how protective I get of bass closed season, the opportunity for barra tobreed and establish a fishable population virtually on my doorstep is enough for me to set up a night watch group to look after them. I was more just pointing out how foolish it would (well would have previously) seemed to be charged by fisheries for targeting close season barra in noosa - apologies if I offended

Yeah I'm with you there Jords and no offence taken as I realise your remark was tongue in cheek, I get a bit vigilante with barra in my local spots in closed season too! And get mighty offended when I politely inform somebody that its closed season only to be told 'nah mate its not a barra, its a pink eye salmon' :angry:

Fully agree RE: closed season,

Tiotony, Good point to bring up!

As owner of the Fishing Shack I will not be directing any clients to where they reside at the moment. I want this fishery to grow more than anyone!

Unfortunately another boat saw us land one of the Barra on Saturday afternoon and when Johhny and I went for a quick look Sunday morning guess who was already there guarding it like a fort?

Today is the last Day of open season so I was hoping to go back this afternoon for one last crack by myself but probably wont make it as they wife is ill. :S

The main problem I see for the Noosa River Barra is that we were targeting them in literally exactly the same way we would target jacks in the same system...

Angus

Exactly Angus! you nailed it.

I'm not going to stop targeting Jacks because I might incidentally catch a Barra and I dont expext anybody else to.

I will still be stoked if I do hook another one in closed season, you cant take that feeling away.

It took 3 years to catch my first in Noosa and may even take another 3 to score a few more.

The community should not make the assumption now that they are everywhere because they are not, we were extremely fortunate to have experienced what we did and I dare say that that sort of experience of so many hits and misses may never have been experienced before in Noosa.

Hey Angus are you still grinning? I am :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The main problem I see for the Noosa River Barra is that we were targeting them in literally exactly the same way we would target jacks in the same system...

Angus

Exactly Angus! you nailed it.

I'm not going to stop targeting Jacks because I might incidentally catch a Barra and I dont expext anybody else to.

I will still be stoked if I do hook another one in closed season, you cant take that feeling away.

It took 3 years to catch my first in Noosa and may even take another 3 to score a few more.

The community should not make the assumption now that they are everywhere because they are not, we were extremely fortunate to have experienced what we did and I dare say that that sort of experience of so many hits and misses may never have been experienced before in Noosa.

Hey Angus are you still grinning? I am :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yeah mate grinning ear to ear.

And agree with the above. Also people should not to critical of someone who picks up a barra as by catch fishing for jacks. Worry about the commercial netters. From what we heard when we were there they have been taking hundreds of big jacks and large numbers of barra up to meter out of the system over the last few weeks. This must have some effect on a potential breeding population. How do they plan to continue targeting Jacks in these numbers while avoiding barra? Sorry I dont usually get all preachy like this but after that experience I would just love to see the population become more established and viable.

Angus

Well done fellas some nice clean barra I hope they keep moving south. Where do you think they have come from or were they stocked.

Dino

I am fairly sure that they are wild and probably 2-3 years old. I dont think they are stocked into the Noosa river and there was too many to be escapies. The size was consistent and there was possibly 20 plus in a school that we saw.

I have to agree. I reckon we may start to see some more in southern waters in the future. With the overflows from the southern Barra dams there is a lot more big breeders in the system. These Barra are a lot more used to cooler water coming from the dams. They may head south. Also there are a lot of Barra now in these systems and they will need to spread out as I reckon these systems can support this many large fish. This is just my opinion. Bring it on.

What an awesome barra session! This has surely got to mean that Noosa river could now be classed as a very viable barra fishery.

Please dont think I'm trying to give offence or get up on a soapbox, but can't condone actively targeting barra in closed season (starting next week) which some respondees to this post seem to be planning, as its both illegal and unethical- the closed season is there for a reason and probably helped in a big way for the barra fishery in the far north to recover from the doldrums we had right up to the mid nineties, where barra were so rare a legal fish in populated areas was virtually front page news. In the Cairns fishing community its considered shameful and somebody obviously targeting barra in closed season is called 'fishing for pink eyed salmon'. Sometimes unavoidable to get a barra in closed season but not too hard to minimise accidental catches by not casting at snags where you can see a school of males holding, or fishing deeper water for fingermark instead etc etc.

I'll jump in on this one, as no doubt it is reflective of what I said before. Mate with how protective I get of bass closed season, the opportunity for barra tobreed and establish a fishable population virtually on my doorstep is enough for me to set up a night watch group to look after them. I was more just pointing out how foolish it would (well would have previously) seemed to be charged by fisheries for targeting close season barra in noosa - apologies if I offended

Yeah I'm with you there Jords and no offence taken as I realise your remark was tongue in cheek, I get a bit vigilante with barra in my local spots in closed season too! And get mighty offended when I politely inform somebody that its closed season only to be told 'nah mate its not a barra, its a pink eye salmon' :angry:

hehe - I am just stirring here :P The bass should make good feed for the Barra as they move south :D

It's interesting to hear that the pro's are netting meter plus Barra as at that size they are female fish.

You guys found a bunch of males fully schooled up so its pretty obvious these fish are transitioning into a spawning aggregation.

Lets hope they do successfully breed and the fry survive.

A number of these fish are quite possibly escapees from Awoonga and Monduran or possiblly Lenthals and have ventured south and ended up in many creeks and tributaries along the coast.

The Noosa catchment is so perfect to establish a breeding population with full ocean access available,brackish and fresh water,lagoons,lakes,many feeder creeks and the Everglades areas so the potential is there for a cracker fishery over the coming years if they can avoid the nets during this spawning season.

"If they can avoid the netters during this spawning season"

Staggers me why there is still a net fishery in the Noosa system.

Generations of experience in the system, know all the channels and choke points, and WILL be targeting the Freshwater Mullet (Myxus petardi)spawning run.

Generations of experience in the system, know all the channels and choke points, and WILL be targeting the Freshwater Mullet (Myxus petardi)spawning run.

Sorry elops didnt end up targeting any of those bass but I am sure you can appreciate why!

Sorry elops didnt end up targeting any of those bass but I am sure you can appreciate why!

How far were the barra from where you would have targeted the bass?

And on that, how far is the shack from bass waters?

Cheers mate

Plus 1 ;(

Angus

That report just blew my socks off!!! well done!

I would put down my rods for the rest of the year if I had a session like that.

I thought our bass session have been good but dang that mind blowing. I would give my right hobie fin to get a barra like that so close to Brissie.

Fantastic...well done again!

Bryan

Angus

That report just blew my socks off!!! well done!

I would put down my rods for the rest of the year if I had a session like that.

I thought our bass session have been good but dang that mind blowing. I would give my right hobie fin to get a barra like that so close to Brissie.

Fantastic...well done again!

Bryan

The funny thing is I have heard of at least 6 counts of barra closer to Brisbane. However thing that made this session so special for me was the numbers. It proved it was more than just a lucky random fish, but rather being lucky enough to be doing the right thing in the right place at the right time.

I agree mind blowing. But I wont be putting my rods down for the rest of the year :P

Angus

Booked in at the NOOSA FISHING SHACK! She will be here when you're at Coolum, sounds like a good excuse for a meet and greet.

Look forward to meeting you Coen.

Cool!

Might be able to tee up a fish :)

Looking forward to the Jack Off comp now. Really keen on exploring even further.

Angus

Booked in at the NOOSA FISHING SHACK! She will be here when you're at Coolum, sounds like a good excuse for a meet and greet.

Look forward to meeting you Coen.

Cool!

Might be able to tee up a fish :)

Looking forward to the Jack Off comp now. Really keen on exploring even further.

Angus

Angus, lets do that. Greg sounds like a top bloke and from your posts, I'm sure he is. Will be great to do a get together and fish. I've inivted Youngy and Jack_attack as well. Count down!!!!

Till then, I just have to work hard. LOL

Archived