brisbane river fishing off toowong suggeations?

kevinchen19870316

i have never done any fishing in brisbane river so i wanna have a go after reading so many reports in this site.

i will be fishing off toowong and target catfish. just a few basic questions.

what tide should be better for catfish fishing? what about other species i may catch in brisbane river?

what bait? most important question.

how far should i cast?

what time of the day can be the most productive?

possibilities of bouncing plastics off the bottom to chase flattie, cod or threadie?

thank you for any suggestions

When I'm bored I often drop a line at the boat ramp near the indro golf course. All you need to catch big catties is some prawns. I find around low tide they come on more than at high but you can still catch them anytime really. Usually around the turn of the tide is best. If the tide is running too strong it can be difficult to keep your bait out. Seriously though just wack a prawn on, chuck it out with some decent lead, wait a bit and you get one almost guaranteed.

mate catfish seriously go off the chew in cooler months. Wait untill it warms up and you will get more catfish then you can handle. Also in areas where there are larger catfish around (ie the lower end of the bris R and also Wivenhoe dam) use bigger hooks (say 5/0 +) and reasonable sized pieces of mullet fillet for bait and you will tend to hook more of the bigger fish. Over the 60 cm mark catfish start becoming decent sport, particularly on light line!!!!

kevin, catfish are toooo easy to catch man.. loads in the river. you cant NOT catch them :D. hehe. any bait will do. it gets to the point where we even have mini catfish catching comps lol. whoever gets the least catfish buys snacks the next trip. any bait will do, they smash everything, live or dead prawns, live or dead mullet and herring, squid, etc etc.. there're loads of other fish in the river, it's just a matter of getting your bait past the hordes of catfish in the river man. i probably get 1 salmon for every 30 catfish i land every session.

other fish in the river? i thought you mentioned before you hit alot of em on light line too easily?

One good thing about catties is that they are not fussy and take wire traces and big baits. So you usualy get something in the warmer months.:)

One bad thing about catties is that they take big baits on wire traces when you are shark fishing and become pests.:(

Archived