Wavebreak Island social

tugger

I beaten my own hoodoo on a good snapper from the gold coast now and helping Ted land his first cobia was gold this weekend. I'm itching to get down there again and have put up the next social on the island in the AFO Wanderers group page so if you want to join this group you will see the planning earlier that what you would if wait till we post it in the forum. Anyone can come if you got your own boats, yaks or can get deckie spots you have a ton of options for fishing either beach, broadwater or offshore.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poor Ted got so excited over his Cobia he did this wee little thing in his pants. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

[attachment=42818]IMG_5276.JPG[/attachment]

Hey lance whats he going to be like if he gets a women that close :woohoo: :woohoo: :P:P:P

lol dazza.

Now that's a scary thought.

Lets hope it doesn't happen on the island,we might all get a paint job. :sick:

sorry to hear that Brad, sorry a no on the camera but, I picked up a portable camp oven if anyone has forgotten it, I asked but no one said anything, will bring it to the next Wavey Weekend.. Or PM me if you want it any sooner, there weren't any gas bottles though, or any of the wire thingy's...

Awesome weekend Guys, thanks heaps for the hospitality from all. Being my first real afo social I felt very welcome by everyone and as hoki said knew no one when I arrived and made some great friends by the end. A big thanks to Tugger for making it happen, A big thanks to Mick for taking me out on his boat and lending me some of his great knowledge. Also to fast eddie for some of that delish chook and Shane for keeping the beverages flowing after mine ran out. Oh and almost forgot thanks to Kev for the bells :lol:

As for the fishing, I had a very quite run with only a couple of under 30cm bream off the rocks while waiting for that damn tide to change so I could get back to camp but atleast they kept me from the dreaded donut!

I remember sitting around the fire on sat night and Ted saying how he would love to catch a cobia as he was a virgin. Well what a way to pop your cherry Ted! Congats mate that was one awesome fish!

Already counting down the days till the next wavebreak weekend!

Cheers Rob

Great weekend guys,not as many fish as previous weekends there, but plenty of new faces which is always enjoyable.

Big thanks to my deckie Vic hokianga for keeping us all awake friday night as with most of the others members and for being good to fish with and a cracking deckie.Chopping pillies and cleaning the boat whenever he had a minute was a great help.Did'nt run around after me as much as another deckie and skipper, but its a start.

Great fish Ted, best fish could'nt of gone to a better bloke, good to see you having Ted time.

Good to see all the usual faces as well, as soon as they open there mouths you learn something.

See you guys on the next one or earlier i think.

Bri.

Great weekend congrats to all of you. Just a hint

If one of the literary geniuses could stitch it all together and some photos it would make a great story in Bush N beach.

Cheers

Hi Ray, I get the feeling that question was directed @ me??

I would have posted pics but unfortunately left the goddamn ph in the goddamn car... With BnB, I would love to but I can't register it won't let me in there...

Ray

Another splendid Wanderer's weekend. B) Great to meet up with old faces and new.

Here's how my weekend panned out;

Met up with Tugger at his house and cruised down to Southport where we met up with Mr Ted Walrus, Zane, StraddyBrad and Haines plus assorted Deckies :P . We all cruised over together to find Davo's Ma and Pa already set up and chilled out. Set up camp in the blink of an eye! The beach fishing then started for me with a bit of Whiting skill honing, Bream and Butter Bream being the bye catch. Gradually more peeps arrived until there was a fair old crowd. Davo's kids kept me supplied with yabbies and soldier crabs which the Whiting seemed to love. Ted introduced me to his homebrew IPA which goes down a treat, belieing it's potency. Next thing I've broken me thongs, hooked a few anchor ropes and lost a load of braid on a prop :blush: Time for bed!

Roused at 0400 by Ted and Tugger and off out for the morning. The convoy of boats through the seaway with all the nav lights on was a fantastic sight. Caught a few livies to save my donut before getting rid of a few pints of IPA burley! :sick: Had a few taps and bangs but not much doing for me. On the drift over a reef off straddy BOOM, Mark is into his much praised Snapper.

Here it is;

post-4325-144598713326_thumb.jpg

post-4325-144598713336_thumb.jpg

Ted hooks up and loses something big on his "Silly String" (Tugger quote!). He is spewing! :pinch: We make our way back and have a relaxing arvo/evening with lots of laughs and tales around the camp fire. Hung out with GreenMachine 'til about 2am trying for a shark on some eel he'd brought over. No luck! :( (Despite Mick spotting a large example patrolling the beach in the arvo)

0500 wake up call, but I'm not up for it, rising at 0700 to try for some more fish off the beach, a couple of near legal Bream satisfying my urge. The boats come back, Ted is a happy man with his mahoosive Cobia, we pack up, we say our farewells and are off. Back at Tugger's and it's time for Ted and I to watch the master filleter in action. The tables are set up, the hoses are set up, the chairs are out...Time for a Cold Gold! Fantastic!

post-4325-144598713342_thumb.jpg

We struggle to get the fish straight after it's been curled up in the Esky (Gotta get a bigger Esky!). We all grab a bit of Cobia to steady it as Mark starts his expert work. Huge fillets are taken off with not an ounce of flesh left worth talking about. You should see the size of the bones in it's back! The big fillets are skinned then chopped into smaller fillets, there's a ton of it! Mark mentions that the stomach contents are always worth a look on a big Cobe so he pops it open to reveal a large complete sand crab! :woohoo: The Snapper is filleted, everything is bagged and after my farewells I'm off home with a few Cobis fillets for tea. What with the huge pile of fish there I overestimated what I would eat and now have 2 portions in the freezer. I floured a portion and fried it up for my first taste of Cobia......Mmmmmm! B) I'll be wanting some more Cobia recipes, any suggestions? (What's this about boiling it to make fake lobster?)

Fantastic Weekend, Fantastic People, Fantastic Destination, Fantastic Weather.....

(And I kept my clothes on :sick: )

See you all again in January. B)B)B)

Whatta weekend, it was great to meet some new members.

Any firewood pics? :whistle:

Another great social at wavebreak. Cheers for organising that Mark!

one for rob :whistle:

[attachment=42870]IMAG0051.JPG[/attachment]

:lol: He'd never believe it.

January's so far away, I wanna go back to "the island." I Better get cracking on that boat licence :P

Has anyone heard from Davo dinkum he was staying till monday on the island maybe he still hasn't dragged himself away yet

i'm back :(

wish i was still there ,much cooler than the switch .

we came home late Monday ,once it blew a bit and got choppy .

it blew up Sunday arvo and looked like a thunder storm Sunday night but blew over .

i'll add more later ,still got heaps of wet camping gear to sort ,wash and dry .

Have we nearly converted you Henry into coming down there camping on the next trip

oh man.. only got to reading this now. What an epic trip. These socials just seem to get bigger and better each time.

They're gonna rename that island to "wanderer's island" soon :D

Killer cobia Ted. Was it on your pimp GT gear?

Archived