Wavebreak Island social

tugger

This rates as one of the best wanderers socials in my eyes as the weather was perfect and we had and excelent big crew down on the island. In the end we had 10 boats and 1 yak make it for the weekend and we filled our part of the beach with them.

On friday we set up camp around lunch with half the boats and crew and the rest came by dark in time for the camp fire to flash up and plan the weekend amongst us all. Young fella brought his guitar and played some good music before his strings broke and the camp had to just listen to my singing :ohmy:

Many cold drinks kept us fueled for the evening till it was time to get some rest before we got up ealry saturday for some offshore fishing. Saturday morning most of the gang set off for the mermaid reef which turned out to be quiet so we moved to the gravel patch. This was no better so everyone headed off to diferent reefs further north to see which 1 would fire up for us.

This proved to be fruitfull for a couple of boats including mine as we got a big snapper going 74cm and Ted dropped and moster knobby and fast eddy got a couple of cobia from his boat

post-4390-144598712011_thumb.jpg

We called it a day by lunch and refueled again back at camp with some more drinks while Eddy set up his spit roast over the fire

post-4390-144598712021_thumb.jpg

Here's the camp with some of the crew in each shot

post-4390-144598712027_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712032_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712037_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712042_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712047_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712054_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712059_thumb.jpg

Here's some of the boats

post-4390-144598712068_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712074_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712079_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712084_thumb.jpg

On sunday we headed back off shore in great conditions again and i headed to the same reef i got the snapper the day before but had no luck except for Teds first bonito

post-4390-144598712089_thumb.jpg

Then we headed for the cobia spot the boys had luck the day before and it was teds go again for a cobia he had never caught before. This fish was not easily subdued and nearly got around Micks boat which Ted owes him some beers for moving very quickly so the fish isn't busted off. This fish was spotted and called for a big fish and Ted had him on 80lb braid on some flash reel i still can't prononce.

Here's the result a 1.51m cobia and estimated as well over 30kg

post-4390-144598712094_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712099_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598712104_thumb.jpg

Fantastic weekend with some qaulity fish to take home it doesn't get any better and good to meet so many new faces from AFO hope you enjoyed it as much as i did

post-4390-144598712064_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[attachment=42786]PB130008.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=42787]PB130004.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=42788]PB130014.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=42789]PB140020.JPG[/attachment]

Ted, that Cobia is a beast, I reckon the one that busted shane off was about that size, looking forward to boating one that size, here is a close up of my tiny cobia

I just spewn bloody work got in the way again but these is the price of fame :blink: but it looks like acracker of a weekend another great effort to TUGGER and what a fish from the crazy man 1st it's not a cat shark lol and a PB that will take some time to beat welldone mate now all I need to get you onto a jack lol.I will not be missing the next one come hell or high water

Had on of the best weekends so far with the fellow afo'ers.

It was nice meeting all the boys.

Thanks again to haines(eddie) for letting me be a deckie on his boat i had a very good time. First time ever being a deckie lol. It was different as i have always being the skipper.Spewing i didnt take my boat cant wait for the next social. Eddie i told you id get you on to the fish:p

Nice cobia Tedd you deserve it. Theres a few nice one being caught there by my mates over the years. I still wish i had landed mine but oh well il get him next time im up there.

Thanks again to everyone who was there for such a good time.

Shane

What a great weekend! Thanks Tugger for organising it. Awesome fish ted well done, I bet that smiles still ear to ear. :lol:

Was great to meet everyone I hadn’t met before and im hanging out for the trip in January now!

Thanks to happywally and aussie123 for being great deckies! Your both very knowledgeable fishos and it was a pleasure to have you on board.

I don’t remember running over a black cat on the way down or a chinaman but we had drama after drama with the boat.

Firstly we had no sounder for the weekend as I think having the boat beached has damaged the transducer so we had to fish blind which was annoying.

Then the bait pump and deckwash gave up as I believe they have a gut full of sand and to top it all off the fuel lines need to be replaced as they are delaminating and little pieces are breaking off the inside then blocking up the filter which inturn is starving the motor of fuel which caused it to just die on 3 occasions.. :(:angry: a big thanks to mick for spending an hour trying to find out what the problem was, i dont care what they say about ya mate, your a top bloke! :silly: :)

So now ill be flat out trying to get the boat ready for lady Musgrave island with eddy in two weeks time :pinch:

Bring on January :woohoo:

I had an absolute blast out there. I've got a lot of people I need to thank:

Ellicat for raising somebody on the island to come and pick up my son and me when I got in later than expected.

Ted - for being the person to come pick us up and for taking me out for a fish on Saturday evening.

ZanO - for taking my son back to the ramp when it was time to head out.

Tugger - for organising the whole thing.

I was spewin Sunday morning when my alarm didn't go off. Came tearing out of the tent at 0530 to see all of the boats were gone :ohmy: I had been hoping that somebody else was nursing a hangover equivalent to mine and got a late start :lol: Sadly, it wasn't to be.

I loved it and am looking forward to the January social - Anybody have a deckie spot open for that one? :)

What a great weekend! Thanks Tugger for organising it. Awesome fish ted well done, I bet that smiles still ear to ear. :lol:

Was great to meet everyone I hadn’t met before and im hanging out for the trip in January now!

Thanks to happywally and aussie123 for being great deckies! Your both very knowledgeable fishos and it was a pleasure to have you on board.

I don’t remember running over a black cat on the way down or a chinaman but we had drama after drama with the boat.

Firstly we had no sounder for the weekend as I think having the boat beached has damaged the transducer so we had to fish blind which was annoying.

Then the bait pump and deckwash gave up as I believe they have a gut full of sand and to top it all off the fuel lines need to be replaced as they are delaminating and little pieces are breaking off the inside then blocking up the filter which inturn is starving the motor of fuel which caused it to just die on 3 occasions.. :(:angry: a big thanks to mick for spending an hour trying to find out what the problem was, i dont care what they say about ya mate, your a top bloke! :silly: :)

So now ill be flat out trying to get the boat ready for lady Musgrave island with eddy in two weeks time :pinch:

Bring on January :woohoo:

Hahahah Mick Fillet to the rescue again !!! that's 2 AFO outings in a row Mick has acted as the AFO mechanic, well done mate :)

Some great photos and fish by all, well done fellas

Poor Ted got so excited over his Cobia he did this wee little thing in his pants. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

[attachment=42818]IMG_5276.JPG[/attachment]

HAHA I was wondering when this was going to surface.

What a great weekend. It was the best one so far. It was great to meet so many new faces. Thanks Guys for all the congratulations. I still have not got the smile off my face.

Thanks Mark for the decky spot for the weekend. I really enjoyed getting out with you and learnt a lot.

Mick - Mark is correct I do owe you a couple of beers. You where right on the ball there.

Thanks guys and looking forward to the next one.

Good morning Brethren....

Firstly, I would like to thank the following legends....For being such legends...

TUGGER: What more can be said about...."The Man Himself!!!"

The organizing of the trip/camp.... help given to anyone who needed it.... knowledge/lessons and tales of catching creatures and fish of all descriptions, even some I thought impossible to catch on a line!!!!

The one about the dolphin was just mind boggling!!!..... :whistle: :blink: :ohmy:

All round top bloke..... Mark, thank you again for a weekend everyone enjoyed immensely... I'm sure we are all in for the next in Jan..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

(I didn't mention it at the time mate, there were too many "BRAID BEARERS".... "But I to dwell in the house of MONO!!!")

BRI THE POM: "Mate.... where do I start???"

Brother, I cannot sing your praises, talk you up, or envy you and your lovely craft anymore than I do already... What an awesome bloke to spend a couple of days with out on the water, even though the fish were being little pricks, I still have an ear to ear grin...... because of an awesome skip and a new "Great Mate".... At the end of the day, I still, added to my list of first time catches....

I caught....Slimies..... and Yakka's..... and Grinner's..... and at the top end of the scale.....A Mac Tuna.....

It was an honor being on your boat Brian, thank you my friend a thousand times over....

AUSSIE123: The use of your camp oven, cooking utensils, and other condiments from your food store...

Gary C, also wishes to thank you as we shared dinner on the last night after his son, Peyton at all their food :lol:

HAINES490SLC: The beautiful cobia fillets, you promised you'd leave me before we departed.... mmmmmmm I can just imagine how delicious they were... :lol::lol::lol:

And last but not least.... Everyone else who attended :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: .....You are all an exceptional group of people... Not one harsh word spoken by anyone towards another... Even after the first night when my younger brother and I pulled an "All Nighter"....

Not once did I hear......"OI KIWI....STFU!!!!"

At the beginning of the trip I knew no one on the island, at the end I've met and hope I've befriended a group of friends I intend to keep for the rest of my life :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

"MY ACCOUNT OF THE WEEKEND"

Arrived at the island around 5pm, Tugger and Mick Fillet came across to Sea World to pick us up, their first impression would have been....WTF????,

The amount of gear we had, would have been right up there with the full family groups...

In the end we used none of it, so basically carried a lot of cr*p over for nothing, did a quick meet and greet with everybody, set the tent and settled down in the "Circle of Life", to drink and talk a lot of truths???.... and tales of action and adventure!!! By the time night rolled in all formalities and conservativity, had all but diminished... Kane you've got some rhythm alright mate...It was a pity the strings weren't up for the party... Laughed our way through the night till around 10pm after which the camp started to disperse...Ready for a 4am start the next morning.... Being a true blue Kiwi I had to represent, so I carried on drinking through the night, up till about 3.59am, and then decided it was a good time to have a 1 min nana nap....

Thank good my younger brother wanted to go for a p*ss at 4.15am, otherwise I probably would have slept through departure... Stumbled down to the beach, to see Mark, Eddie, Mick, and a few of the other boats already heading out, I was thinking to myself...

"Ahhhh fudge it!!!", Brian couldn't wait and has already headed out, great start to the weekend...Head went down, just as I was about to turn and skulk back up the bank....A whistle from further down the beach, rang through the air like a calling from heaven... peered down the beach to spot Brian, waving me down....

He would have been thinking,... I know I would have if I were him.... OMG, what have I got myself here, I've got an Idiot with a capital "I"....

So summoning up every last bit of self respect I walk/stumble/tripped my way down, a couple of unsuccessful attempts at boarding, finally on....and we were off....YYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAA!!!

On our way out through Sea Way I could feel tell tale signs of "The Green Gill Syndrome", but quickly meditated and red carded it from my mind...fooo neat alright...

Got to the bait grounds, picked up what we needed and followed the rest of the Wanderers down to Gravel Something???.. Half way there Brian turns to me and says....

"I'm not feeling too well mate... I took what I thought was a panadol, for a head ache and I think I brought the wrong ones....he'd accidentally taken one of his wife's antihistamine tablets" :sick: :sick: :sick:

Like a real trooper our man battled his way through (Much respect)....

Anchored up threw the livies out, waited, waited, waited some more, after a while of nothingness Brian called a move so we changed the rigs to lures and headed off in search of fishies while trolling. On our way to the next of the grounds, we got a couple of bumps but no hook-ups... Not much in the way of luck at any of the other grounds so regrettably headed back in...

Back at camp we got the run-down on everyone's day..

catches for the day and topics of interest.... Team Tugger...72cm Snapper, mackeral... Team Haines... triple strike, 2 Cobia landed... Team Zano..... The most hard done by Skipper in the whole fleet...(enough said,the last thing he wants is a reminder, on all the sh*t he went through over the weekend)

Team Pom ...Bagged out, slimey's, yakka... Team Mick Fillet....and the rest, same as Brian and I...

Near misses, Ted and a whooper of a snap... Zano, 3 knots slipped on whats believed were cobia... Shane, dropped cobia on light gear...

During the afternoon another of the brothers turned up (Green Machine).. on his yak, he'd been for a flick around the island while we were, fart arsing around camp... No luck either, and unfortunately came around the Nothern corner on the homestretch to camp, and ran into the full force of an outgoing tide... :blink::blink: He ended up walking back after trying in vain to conquer an unconquerable force...Got his yak back later on in the day and then settled in with the rest of us...

With that out of the way, it was time to again form the "Circle of Life"...Grab the coldies, and other items of importance :whistle: ;) :whistle:

More Fishy tales, getting to know each other better, and a mouth watering wait for Eddie's... 22 Chicken on the rotisserie, from the comments and longing looks at the chook, it had already been eaten by camp, and we were ready for dessert. The rest of the night was another great one in front of the fire, a couple of trips down to fix Eddies boat, and we were primed and ready for the next day... Couldn't quite do the second "All Nighter" only made it to about 12.30am, and then snuck off to bed...I forgot Green Machine had mentioned he only had a towel for a blanket, I'd also forgotten to give him a blanket I said he could borrow and found him the next morning, on one of the fold away chairs, in front of a flameless fire with his towel covering him from his head to just below the knees...

Our mate was freezing... He looked like I did the previous morning but he too "Manned Up", and boarded with Mick... Someone who was probably the most enthusiastic but least bloodied fisho there....Gary C, had lined up a decky spot from the night before, went to bed earlieish, in order to be up bright and early.... Missed my 5am "Come on, lets go camp holler" Slept through till 5.30am, ran down to the beach to find... you guessed it F/A, fisho's and an empty beach...

Out on the water however we had all put fish into the live tanks and were cruising around in search of the bite...On our second mark, Brian and I were having a few probs with the livies 3 times we baited and 3 times they fell off before even touching the water.. finally got one to stay threw it in pulled line out a couple of times and then got hit, didn't do much at first until I tried to wind in and then it started to boogy, 5mins and had a nice Mac Tuna on deck... Never tried one but told Brian I would keep it, there was a heap of meat and I wanted some, didn't want to go home empty handed...

Stayed for a while longer, then decided to head to where the boys had gotten the cobias from the previous day, followed Tugger into the spot and anchored up, Zano and Mick were there also... Ted ended up getting onto the beast you've seen but no one else had any luck... Apart from a shocking experience had by Mick..

We went back to camp after that packed away our gear, said our farewells and headed off in our own different directions...

Thats my little say, again guys and girls you all rock, and will see you all again shortly :lol::lol::lol:

Archived