NP River - Dinner Time!!

Cliffy

Late again as usual - considering we went last weekend, and I've only just got around to reporting it now :blush:! Anyhow, me Dad's in town from overseas, and he's a mad keen fisho like me and my young fella, so I thought we'd have a go out in the bay. Put in at Deep Water Bend around 9:00am and headed out into the bay, dropping the hook off the end of the reef at Woody Point. Nothing doing for an hour, the forecast wind was putting in an appearance :angry:, so we headed back under the Hornibrook Bridge and anchored up at the mouth of the first creek we came to. The old man was dead set keen to get stuck into something huge and was busy baiting ganged 6/0's with whole pilchards :blink:, much to the amusement of the young fella who was using a whiting rig set up with 2/0's and squid tentacles.

I think it's probably fair to say that both the young fella and I were amazed when Dad drew first blood, somehow managing to lip-hook a toadfish nearly as big as one of his 6/0's :laugh:! The young fella soon got up to his usual tricks (i.e. completely outfishing me - bloody good job I taught him everything he knows, or I might get upset :pinch:). First to the boat was a nice 30cm whiting, followed in fairly short order by another 5 toadfish courtesy of the old boy (accompanied by serious cussing), who by this time had seen some sort of sense and switched to 2/0's and squid. Next up was a beaut sand crab about 5cm over legal, again courtesy of the young fella, and again on a 2/0 with squid :woohoo:!

By this time the old boy's looking at the young fella and making none-to-veiled comments about live bait peppered with questions like \"There are still bull sharks in the river at this time of year, aren't there?\" :evil: (the old boy gets a bit competitive, see?). This got a fair bit worse when, not 5 minutes later, the young fella struck again - with an even bigger whiting of around 35cm followed by a 31cm flatty, both caught on squid :woohoo::woohoo:. Finally decided to call it quits around midday as the old boy was having a bit of a catatonic turn - although he did catch the most fish on the day. Final tally: young fella - 2 whiting, 1 sand crab, 1 undersize flatty. Old boy - 14 toadfish, case of high blood pressure. Me - no fish (situation normal), 3-odd hours of bloody good laughs at old man's expense. Great day :laugh:

Good one Cliffy. If the young fella is anything like mine he probably catches more 'cos he keeps the bait moving. That's been my observation anyway. He outcatches the rest of the family until I tire of recasting for him and ask him to \"stop winding it in and give me a go\" :cheer:

Thanks for the kind words guys. To respond to a couple:

Kriso:Great idea, although taking into account Ellicat's comments (I also suffer from RSI of the shoulder after the first coupla hours), we might not learn much except how to improve our casting technique :blush:!

Oceandonkey: Sorry man, hope your workmates don't think you're too strange - glad it gave you a chuckle B).

Archived