Moreton Bay Shark Drum lines???

thriller

I was out today by bribie when I spotted a float submerge and rise then again and again, I motored up on it and grabbed it and the thing near hauled me from the boat, I motored after it again and got a better grip, this thing was unstoppable,

towing my boat with ease, I saw 2 other floats (old moss covered) near by doing the same thing, I could not manage to rise what ever it was,

I am told it would have been sharks.

I saw another one by scarborough marina on my return, I have just finished work and had a look on the net and cant find anything about it. I assume they are set by scumbags,

Thought anyone...

Fair call, but a float should be floating,

not semi submerged for me to run over and ruin my day...

I bet it is some sadist killing sharks..

I reiterate the float was making a run for it like in the jaws movie.

so impossible to be someone's crab pot.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Thats a fair call but I think the generall consensus around the forum is to report suspicious activity and not to take matters into ones own hands

Feel free to call fishwatch on my behalf as there are four floats on the run that I am aware of,

just asking to see if anyone has seen this before?

How big were the floats? Have heard stories of sharks munching on the pots to get the bait/crabs, and have got caught, end up drag ging the pots around. 4 in one day is a bit of a stretch though, very weird!

1 float looked like a coconut covered in moss and surging north in pulses, the others were the size of a kids swim kick paddle floaty.

four in a day, 3 within 200m, 400m off skirmish point heading north.

no have not seen any thing like that.

But if I`m trolling in a river or creek and my lure hooks up on or my o/b leg kicks on a sunken crab pot,I have no hesitation, if I can get the pot up, throwing the pot up on the nearest bank for the owner to decide whether it`s worth while repairing whats left after I`ve cut my lure out,going the long way about doing it.

I know there are drum lines set off kings beach, I remember reading about a 5metre great white getting caught when I was holidaying there one year, not sure about off bribie, but I would assume they are much larger floats, and probably anchored. I think the idea of a shark getting caught in a crab pot is plausible

"The most recent major change to the configuration of shark control equipment occurred in 1992 and 1993, following a review of the operation and maintenance of shark meshing equipment in Queensland (Anon, 1992). In 1992 and 1993, mesh nets were replaced with drum lines in many areas, in order to reduce the catch of non-target marine species, such as dugongs, dolphins and whales."

"The baited drum lines used in Queensland consist of a baited shark hook, which is suspended from a plastic buoy on 2 metres of chain (QLD DPI, 2003). The hook, chain and buoy are anchored to the ocean floor."
/>http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/ktp/shark-control-programs.html

Blah blah blah Yeah its quite possible they are drumlines as opposed to nets to save the dugong population.

How big were the floats? Have heard stories of sharks munching on the pots to get the bait/crabs, and have got caught, end up drag ging the pots around. 4 in one day is a bit of a stretch though, very weird!

1 float looked like a coconut covered in moss and surging north in pulses, the others were the size of a kids swim kick paddle floaty.

four in a day, 3 within 200m, 400m off skirmish point heading north.

being so small, one would not think they were shark lines. i afew occasions i have witnessed sharks caught in crab pots or lines, and the towing them around when working with pro crabbers.

the float that looked like a coconut covered in moss sounds like a pro pot bouy thats been out their for some time. so see them like that out in the bay quite often

Per the DPI quote above, Drum lines are anchored into the sea floor. You will almost never see them moving any great distances.

Seems weird though that there were so many.

One thing I have witnessed in my time on the water though is a big turtle caught up in a crab pot line. It was dragging the thing (albeit struggling) all over the place.

what was the rope like, any sinkers crimped onto the rope underneath the float or any other clues? i dont know how 3 crab pots could have sharks in them at the same time. i reckon your on the money that they are someones.

you are correct, if they were no ones, they would not exist :)

Archived