ewen madock 22-07-07 report

pcsolutionman

woke up at 5:30 this morning and was at the dam before 6, the joys of a close fishing spot ;):) :) :)

arrived to find PDO,mac_fish and WayneD from akff.net all there getting there yaks prepared for the fish ahead. There was a slight breeze of around 5knots but it wasn't as cold as it has been the last week or so. I got my yak off the roof and rigged up and all 4 of us set off for what we were hopeing would be a good session. I started by trolling two purple deep divers one predatek Boomerang and one dawnbuster. I trolled past the first two points without a touch so I headed for the northen bank for a troll along it. not long into the troll and I was on and drag was screaming off my little 6lb outfit until I finally turned his head and started gaining some line on him, got him closer to the boat and he circled under me for a minute or two taking several runs before finally tiring, I slipped the lip grippers into his mouth and boated the first fish of the day. I then paddled back over to PDO so he could take few pics. (dam t sucks not having a camera :(:( )

first fish measured 45cm and OMG this thing was fat and by fat I mean like obese lol:) :) :) :) :) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dsc01203_web.jpg

Post edited by: pcsolutionman, at: 2007/07/22 17:58

post-1283-144598422003_thumb.jpg

fter getting a couple of pics I paddled over to say hi to ashley (polylureosis) who had arrived and made his way out to join us. as I approached mac_fish hooked into his first fish and ash said he had just landed one,

. there were heaps of fish showing on the sounder ashley and mac_fish said so I hung around and tossed some G-vibes,plastics and spinnerbaits around for quite some time but couldn't raise a scale all while mac_fish was getting hit after hit.

here is one of his fish.

loaded up on a nice one

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dsc01208_web.jpg

post-1283-144598422009_thumb.jpg

finally got fed up with watching mac_fish catch fish lol. so I headed back to where I got my first fish but once again I couldn't get a single hit. had a chat to feral and ray who had come along in there canoe and they had landed two nice fish on live shrimp. trolled around for a while as the weather started to turn a bit nasty.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dsc01211_web.jpg

Post edited by: pcsolutionman, at: 2007/07/22 17:56

post-1283-144598422016_thumb.jpg

I finally got another fish on from right where mac_fish was getting them earlier. the rod was torn from the holder and I caught it as it flew past my right ear :ohmy::ohmy: :whistle: :whistle:

I loaded up hard on the fish because there was alot of weed and structure on the bottom and he was on the 14lb so thought id have no trouble but boy was I wrong he still took 2 or 3 good solid runs under very tight drag, got him beside the boat to find just half a treble in the side of his lip ::whistle: sliped the grippers in his mouth after a couple of failed attempts :lol: :lol: :D

he measured 47.5cm and was probably fatter than the first fish, witch I thought was impossible lol

checkout the smile

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/dsc01212_web.jpg

post-1283-144598422018_thumb.jpg

he weather was starting to look bad and the rain was getting heavier so we decided to head back and find some shelter and have the planned BBQ. I trolled two deep divers back with mac_fish at a good speed and just befire I was going to drag them back in I got a big hit pulled the rod from the holder felt 2 big head thumps and then nothing he spat the hooks :( :(

we got back to the launch site packed up the yaks and went and cooked up some food in the comfort of cover. of course as we were having lunch the wind dropped and the rain disappeared.

it was great to meet some new blokes and see how much a sounder can help (cant wait for mine to come next week now)

total tally was

me 2 fish 45cm and 47.5cm

ashley 3 fish 44-47cm

mac_fish 6 fish 42-48cm

feral and ray 2 fish (he can tell the rest)

every fish that was caught was over 42cm and most were over 45cm and they were all as fat if not fatter than my first fish. It amazes me the condition of the fish in this impoundment its just unbelievable.

hope you enjoyed the report as much as we enjoyed our day.

Lee

Post edited by: pcsolutionman, at: 2007/07/22 18:01

I didnt have much confidence in my canoeing ability. Wore my life jacket all day. Also found how hard it is to turn around.

( This bream actually measured 43cm maybe I should enter it in the fish of the month - dam I forgot to take a photo on the brag mat:evil: ) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010638_AFO-8f16b68df87613b90238ec824d1157c0.jpg

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/22 19:44

post-230-144598422051_thumb.jpg

It was a nice day on the water, pity I didn't catch a fish. Threw everything I had at them but unfortunately today they only seemed to like the expensive lures, which I don't have:( .

Feral and Ray, sorry I didn't introduce myself at the ramp but I was already running 45 minutes late for my promised home time to the missus:kiss: . Glad to see most people caught fish and stonkers they were too. I think I'll be back again maybe with a jackall or two :evil:

No worries Wayne, I think we had a yarn at Baroon last joint trip.

Well Ray rolled up at my place at 6am, and we packed everything and headed off - everything except for the battery to run the sounder!

So we were flying blind in a new dam - good start!

Anyway we got there about 6:30, and started assembling the outriggers etc. Ash rolled up, unpacked the yak, and was on the water in about 3 seconds flat. Something to be said for experience!

Anyway we finally got it all together, all our gear stowed on on to the water. Ray was pretty nervous, never having been in a canoe before and having the swimming ability of your average house brick. He had the middle seat, and looked pretty happy until I mentioned the freeboard at the rear of the canoe, - about 2 inches. Un nerved me a little as well - been in the big boat to long!

Any way away we went, trolling a couple of lures, tryed a couple of likely looking spots with no takers, until we caught up with Lee and the rest of the yakkers in the second bay. They had been getting a few, and put us onto where the school was, but they went of the bite almost immediately, we saw one fish hooked and that was that.

We buggered around a bit, been spoilt using sounders, forgoten how to fish for Bass! Anyway sanity prevailed and we hit up the point, as soon as it started to drizzle rain we were onto a couple of good fish straight away on the live shrimp. I pulled in a 45, and Ray got a 42 or 43 (cant remember). As Lee said these would have been the fattest Bass I had seen for a long time. The one I caught took some landing, I was using 6lb braid, no leader, Live shrimp on a paternoster rig, I was not keen to put to much strain on the line at first, but had to, 5 or 6 runs, then I just let him do laps for another couple of minutes before pulling him in.

Rays fish fought hard as well, but he had heavier line and rod, so was able to tame it quicker. Then I learned that enviro nets are a mongrel to use, took me about 3 goes to Get Rays fish, it just would not move through the water! Eventually Ray convinced me to hold it still while he swam the fish into it.

By then we had drifted a far way, so went back around for another go, I was tying a new lure on my other rod when my shrimp got hit hard, about a 20 second run and lost it. A Few minutes later Ray had a good hit on a 100mm plastic, but lost that as well. WInd was getting up, as well as some small waves, so with such low freeboard we scarpered back into the bay. Came across Lee again, and the Yakkers had not caught anything more at that stage.

Did a big drift right across the dam, trying every lure in the box, and shrimp, but no more action, headed back in, it was getting pretty wet and miserable.

The Yakkers drifted back in as we were pulling down the canoe, they had got a few more on the way home.

Then a nice feed put on by Lee, and some good yarns and info swapping in the picnic ground, before heading home.

I reckon we will be back. Very sore and sorry from all the paddling, but a great day! (I am busy thinking up ways of mounting an electric in stealth mode!)

Archived