Fishing @ Holland Park State School

Angus

Hey everyone,

We my fiance Tanya has successfully petitioned for the addition of fishing as an extra curricular activity at teh school she teaches at.

She was required to find a topic and she figured ahy not give the kids an active doss out the outdoors and good skills.

Anyway for the next 4 fridays (commencing this friday the 3rd of August) she will taking a 1 1/2 hour session with the kids.

The 4th and final session will actually be a full day excursion for the kids up to Hinze Dam where they will get to catch bass with Steve Wilkes and his team at Sports Tuition.

Steve has also generously lent us rods etc so the kids can practive casting (in the 25m pool :P), knot tying etc.

If anyone has some ideas they genuenly think would be helpful please let me know.

Also for the fridays and possibly the Hinze Dam trip, volunteers may be appreciated. Ash and Jimmybob have offered their services. But it will all come down to when people are available.

Cheers

Angus

Karma to you and Tanya for doing this.

If only more teachers had such a fantastic idea. IMO these kind of outing should be compulsory for kids.

I'm no expert on Hinze but I reckon if the kids can get there early enough and throw a few poppers around there's a very good chance they'll get a fish.

Other than that I'd pick up a 100 shrimp with a lesson on how to rig them correctly and keep em kicking.

Now Angus, where do I enroll my 9 year old:P

Ellicat: Thanks mate check your PM's.

Mojo: Mate shrimp is most certainy what they will be using. Im thinking of taking plastic ones to the class to show them how to rig so they will be prepped for the big day.

Also if you want to enroll your son in trips like this, Steve Wilkes our sponsor runs them all the day. In fact there is a great Survivor camp coming up. Just have a look at www.sportstuition.com.au

Cheers guys.

Angus

Well done!!

I would like to say a big thankyou to you both for taking a positive approach to teaching the younguns how to fish !!

I think its a wonderful idea to educate on the importance of sustainable fishing and also to encourage children to take up such a great and satisfying sport.

Well Done Angus and Tanya !!!!!

Also I would be happy to donate some new basic tackle for the cause..Line, hooks, swivels, sinkers that type of things if needed. Just drop me a line if I can help...

Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/08/01 13:55

Just picked up the boys from school and the first thing I hear is that the oldest will be doing the fishing classes along with a bunch of his feral mates:evil: :evil: . Boy will the volunteers be sorry !!!:woohoo:

Just kidding, but they're all pretty keen. We know the fishing kids are the best ones;)

Well here is the scoop.

Tanya starts teaching fishing today.

Funny story, she had a 45 child capacity for grade 4. She was thinking she would fill maybe 30 places or so...

After 10mins at the sign ons she had to turn crying kids away. So there it is. 45 kids for 4 weeks. Good luck T!

Angus

Report from day 1.

From one of the horses mouths -

\"Teacher (Tanya) is a very entusiastic about the topic. We did some reading and stuff and learnt about the dam and the fish there - bass and saratoga. We had a quiz and I got them all right. We had to talk about the best fish we'd caught. I told them about yellowbelly from Glenlyon and that stingray. It was good to brag :laugh: .\"

All the kids are looking forward to the day at the dam - a WHOLE day off school!

One of Mitch's mates wants to come on the flathead hunt with us now.:ohmy: But there's only room in the esky:pinch:

Quick update.

Angus, Ash & I went along today for our first session with the kids.

Angus took the podium and handled the kids well. He discussed the various lure types while Ash and I demonstrated them in the pool.

Eventually chaos ensued as all the kids had a go at casting the lures into the pool ( and across it, and into and over light poles etc:woohoo:)

The kids loved it. Not one wanted to leave when the Friday bell rang!

I had to laugh when Ash impressed one of the girls so much that after the event she went up to him and asked if he liked her shoes...PMSL

ellicat wrote:

How do you get a Blue Card.

Can you lend me yours ?

Booty probably does not need one. Just like teachers dont need one - checks are already done as part of the Teaching licence.

It can take a couple of months to get a Blue card, and you cant work with kids while your waiting for it anymore.

Just drop into the school (or your own kids school) and tell them you want to volunteer and they will usually have a set of forms with their bit filled in already - If your volunteering you get the card for free, otherwise use Booty's link and put your hand in your pocket.

Hahaha no tales of ship wrecks.

And Jeff, i used hookless lures ;)

Third week of lessons is today. We will be running through knots and rigs. As well as watching some footage that Steve provided on Hinze Dam. I think some of the AFO team features :)

2 Lucky kids will also win a reel today.

1 courtesy of Stu so cheers mate.

Angus

Oh P.S. Funny stuff. Although the fishing class was capped at 45, when counting the payment slips for the Hinze Dam day 49 forms were there.

Kids doing other activities actually snuck photo copied forms in :P Oh well we have accomadated for them. haha.

Angus

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was the day at Hinze. Seems the bass were hard to come by - only 2 boated all day. One from a kid using his own handline and the other by one of the attending parents (who may be joining the site soon).

I spent the day fishing with Ray, I mean helping out the kids with Ray. The best we did was snag the buoy lines that were out for the rowing comp this weekend. It fought well and in the end got the better of me.:blink:

Tanya discovered that fishing is much easier with Angus on board to help out with things too:lol: We motored over at one stage to help out when her and her crew had all busted off on the buoy line at the same time:silly:

On a bright note - Mitch (first son) won the casting comp and picked up a new lure for his efforts. He was also the designated captain of his ship and had to attend to baiting up for one of his crew who was scared of the shrimp. He also was called on to untangle lines and assist with other matters. This is all a good thing for me as he has said that he now understands what I go through every time I take the family out:woohoo: and wont grumble anymore.

Today the kids learnt the old chestnut about \"a bad day on the water is better than a good day in class\" anyway.

Some kids also learnt that batteries go flat. A quick head count before departing came up 4 short. They were found paddling back:woohoo:

OK ray has sent me a few photo's from the Day, I have texted Angus to see if I can post photo's with kids in them (call me paranoid, but best to ask first), here are the others, setting up at the Eastern Ramp. If Angus says ok, I will put the others up.

P1010622AFO.jpg

P1010621AFO.jpg

P1010620AFO.jpg

P1010633AFO.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/08/31 20:02

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/08/31 20:04

Archived