Sundown National Park

ellicat

funny and good videos guys :lol:

heard eug say about the locked diff ,well either a locked diff or a old 60 series and hammer it through .

My favourite (because shortie was the girl),thats a classic ,top stuff eug .

is the Mitsubishi a bit low and not much diff travel ?

Mitsubishi ? :ohmy: - Wash your mouth out Davo ! :sick: :lol::lol:

The NISSAN Navara has a few things going against it -

low clearance

big overhang (poor departure angle)

long wheel base

side steps, not sliders

manual

rear LSD only

It's the family car and the owner can't afford big repairs so 'gently-does-it' had to apply ;)

What would be a good 4wd for this type of driving, I'm looking for something that does not cost over 30k, well maybe 35k if it needs to be, needs to have plenty of room in the boot for when I go camping (needs to hold alot of gear).

What would be a good 4wd for this type of driving, I'm looking for something that does not cost over 30k, well maybe 35k if it needs to be, needs to have plenty of room in the boot for when I go camping (needs to hold alot of gear).

For this type of stuff, a wagon is your best option for the drive. A ute gives you far superior carrying capacity though. It's a trade-off. Apart from clearance I would go the ute as I always go to more isolated places which means more gear needed - e.g. water, recovery gear etc. You can get more clearance for a few dollars by getting a lift, but that sort of thing is for cheats lol

Agreed. Yes a true Ute is a great option.

but a duel Cab. (I wouldnt own 1.)

I cant see the point. I would way prefer a wagon. carry as much in a wagon as a duel Cab just cant carry dirty stuff without hurting the interior.

depends on your needs.

wagon 7 seats. Duel Cab 5.

Ute 2-3.

wagon more comfortable ride. unloaded. Ute and duel cab light ass end, = bouncy roughe ride.

benefitrs for each type its really what suite your needs.

I cant see the point. I would way prefer a wagon. carry as much in a wagon as a duel Cab just cant carry dirty stuff without hurting the interior.

depends on your needs.

Ute 2-3.

wagon more comfortable ride. unloaded. Ute and duel cab light ass end, = bouncy roughe ride.

But a Wagon you can not leave rotten bait in the esky :whistle:

depends on your needs.

Ute 2-3.

Not even close to accurate lol

i think a wagon is the best ,but a single cab ute is good for carrying stuff. higher to lift stuff into once its a 4x4 ute ,which can be a pain .wagon or single cab ute with canopy more sleeping area .

i used to have a 60 series wagon and i luved it ,only let down was getting hung up on the diffs ,bigger tyre's would of fixed that .now i have a dual cab ute (it was real cheap ,so i could not pass on it ),its not on the road yet .need windscreen ,alternator and rego .

post-10937-144598805679_thumb.jpg

ellicat: Mitsubishi ? - Wash your mouth out Davo !

Eug: Mitsubishi?! Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!

sorry guess this it why i was thinking mitsubishi.

went from a good old toyota to this :(

but its turbo diesel so mite do the job.

According to all the commercials lately a Great Wall :lol::lol::lol: But seriously get yourself a 2nd hand patrol wagon for around 30k and you'll have the best of everything. Storage, load/ tow capacity, comfort and 4wd capability.

I just scab a seat in someones 4wd. Works out the cheapest, but Brian hasn't worked that out yet ;)

Tomca

Couldnt you scrounge a 4wd armored van for the weekend?

Be ideal for taking out those big wallaroos. :evil:

The weight of the thing would crush all those gibbers to gravel which would help all those girly 4wds immensely :blush: .

Cheers

Ray

I just scab a seat in someones 4wd. Works out the cheapest, but Brian hasn't worked that out yet ;)

Did that for 25 years. Then came a time where I needed extra space for family camping as the wife started to come along....and we know what that means. ;) :pinch:

So I bought the vehicle with the biggest space for 4 people and all that gear without getting a truck.

Looks like the PATROL might be the way to go.

Fyi, don't bring your wife camping, once they get a taste, they always want to come, I used to go camping with 1 tent, 1 sleeping back, cooking gear and a chair and rod and tackle, now that I made the mistake in taking my wife once, we now take all of that, plus extra food , about 100 pillows, extra sleeping gear, a fancy shade and more, my car gets abit over packed now.

Looks like the PATROL might be the way to go.

Fyi, don't bring your wife camping, once they get a taste, they always want to come, I used to go camping with 1 tent, 1 sleeping back, cooking gear and a chair and rod and tackle, now that I made the mistake in taking my wife once, we now take all of that, plus extra food , about 100 pillows, extra sleeping gear, a fancy shade and more, my car gets abit over packed now.

yeah i know that one ,but less the wife and more the family growing and growing up .

we used to go camping ,it was a trap ,a few blankets,air bed .kids slept in the back of the xe falcon wagon ,we slept on the air bed under the tarp .cooking and light was the fire ,esky was milk crates in the creek .

ah the good old days :)

Looks like a hell trip apart from the brokeback mt stuff whens the next one? If utes are best for carrying stuff why was the patrol doing all the carrying GO the PATROL

Most of my tray was filled with firewood, most wouldn't carry that in a wagon. I'm not defending against the utes, as the Patrol the most capable car there. Again I'm just highlighting that each car has it's perk handy to have multiple types of vehicles when going away and play to each vehicle's strengths.

I agree with Shortie's previous comment RE: tradies. I have seen some with a dual cab and a tray back but not often.

Looks like a hell trip apart from the brokeback mt stuff whens the next one? If utes are best for carrying stuff why was the patrol doing all the carrying GO the PATROL

Most of my tray was filled with firewood, most wouldn't carry that in a wagon. I'm not defending against the utes, as the Patrol the most capable car there. Again I'm just highlighting that each car has it's perk handy to have multiple types of vehicles when going away and play to each vehicle's strengths.

I agree with Shortie's previous comment RE: tradies. I have seen some with a dual cab and a tray back but not often.

Hey I was just taking the pi$$ back in the days when I worked for a living I had single cab utes both Toyota and Nissan and all were good even had a 2wd Holden once that took some getting used too after having 4Bs for so long you had to be careful where you drove on a building site with a 2wd. Once I had a family I needed to either go to a dual cab or a wife's 4x4 which we did but soon out grew the Path Finder and the cheese and kisses wanted a race car again she's a bit of a bevan, so it was back to dual cab or full size wagon and builders trailer and as the dual cabs were to small so would still need to tow a trailer and they are not that suited to the extreme type off road work we had gotten into so I went the 80 series and now have a patrol. So please don't take it to heart when I take the piss out of a particular 4b as I have had them all and next time round I will buy the one that suits me best at the time

i knew you were taking the piss, i was just pointing out some key points to the other member that posted asking for what type of vehicle would do the trip. it just so happened your comment was the most appropriate to quote despite the tongue in cheek.

• 1 year later...

Reading both the sundown reports has got me super keen to organise a few days away to do something similar,unfortunately I know nothing about the area and have had afew beers working out the area, came across this, https://cloud.hemaexplorer.com.au/public/rmuIXm9RrxWr2252VH0JpsP6/?map=fullmap

Hope it can help some one else here looking at planning a trip down there .never landed a green fish so this is definitely on my must do list .

Cheers

When are you thinking of heading there, mate ?

I have the Dirty Weekends book to lend. It gives very detailed directions.

We stayed at Burrows which I think is between the 3rd last and 2nd last markers on the Hema map link.

This would be the best of the spots for setting up camp imo.

After the cold finally breaks you will find it can get very cold there, although it wasn't too bad in May that year.

EDIT Actually, if you zoom in on the linked map, I think Burrows is after the last marker where you would turn right.

PM sent

I took the missus and young fella (2.5yr old) and stayed at The Broadwater campgrounds in the week leading up to Easter (still need to do a report .....). Was very dry unfortunately with only a small waterhole 5 minutes to the right of camp and the permanent waterhole (approx. 500m long) a good 20 min walk to the left of camp. Pulled two carp (one going about 68cm one my sons tiny red kids rod) out of the small waterhole but only had one crack one morning at a cod out of the permanent waterhole but time flew and only tried a cicada lure - would have liked more time to fish the steep bank witha deep diver.

Nice area, would like to go back again with more water.

Archived