4 stroke vs 2 stroke

Aaron H

Hi guys been a while since I have posted, more due to my laziness :blush: Anyway who better to ask opinions from than the knowledgeable afo crowd. I recently purchased a new quintrex explorer 390 have had cast decks floors and Bimini added and it's time to upgrade it from just an electric dam boat.

Looking at 15 to 30 hp however the old 2 vs 4 stroke debate is rearing its head.

Basically wondering if people have these smaller motors in 4 strokes and whether they are worth the extra money over the two stroke, the quietness and less pollution is appealing however are their extra service costs with a 4 stroke?

Anyone offer this confused fella any advice

I went for the 2 stroke I found the power to weight was better plus the servicing was alot less to worry about. I agree with the quietness of the 4 stroke but if you want some stealth keep the electric motor on and use it when you want to sneak up. But anyway enough from me my vote 2 stroke

I went for the 2 stroke I found the power to weight was better plus the servicing was alot less to worry about. I agree with the quietness of the 4 stroke but if you want some stealth keep the electric motor on and use it when you want to sneak up. But anyway enough from me my vote 2 stroke

Thanks mate what sort of motor did you get ?

I got a 2 stroke 25 Mercury only because it came with the boat but I must say the 2 stroke 3 cylinder yamahas are a real nice motor. As for size check the max your boat can take (should be on the plate) and I would go the max I guarantee you will wonder one day what it would be like if you spent that little bit extra

In my opinion at that kind of size engine you should go the 4 stroke.. The 2strokes including DI are great and will have a little more punch plus technicaly the engine noise is around the same for the 4 strokes compared to the DI 2 strokes but there vibration noise through the boat is much higher on the 2strks

Your biggest factor for engine selection is whether you will be doing a lot of trolling or idling around at low revs.

If you intend on doing a lot of trolling the 4 stroke is by far a better suited motor.

If you won't be doing a lot of trolling on the main engine it does not really matter what you get,it then comes down to personal choice and cost.

30hp 4 stroke with power trim/tilt and electric start.

Northside Marine had a 30hp tiller steer ,low hours round 08 model for around 3.5 a couple of weeks ago would be worth checking on.

The 4 stroke has so many advantages these days. You can troll all day at slower speed than a 2 stroke/ You can use it on Lenthalls and very possible that Lenthalls style restrictions could be applied to other SEQ water dams in future.

No natter type motor that you get you will have to get an engine hoist to remove motor to use boat on NPD, Wivie.And Clarrie hall.

I am biased to Mercs as I have had a good run from them and I have a couple of very honewst and capable Merc dealers handy to me.

The 30hp efi merc/Mariner has the same capacity as the 40hp so with the more cubes you get better lower down torque for the hole shot.

Cheers

Ray

Got a Merc 30hp 2 Stroke on an old tinny of my inlaws sitting at my place and a merc 40hp 4 stoke on my boat and I'm glad i spent the extra money awesome bit of kit, as been mentioned above great at low revs light on the fuel and at least you can have a conversation when running the 4 stroke. The one draw back I have is I wish I went max HP for my boat not recomended HP, but hey live and learn and when it comes down to it I could have put 200 horses on the back and i still would have wanted more :evil:.

Last time I looked etec oil was around 90 bucks for 3.5l bottle but you use miniscule ammounts.

You can set an etec outboard to run on ordinary tcw3 oil but then you then have an ordinary 2 stroke motor and also go back to the lower servicing periods so the saving is zero.

Cheers

Ray

Last time I looked etec oil was around 90 bucks for 3.5l bottle but you use miniscule ammounts.

You can set an etec outboard to run on ordinary tcw3 oil but then you then have an ordinary 2 stroke motor and also go back to the lower servicing periods so the saving is zero.

Cheers

Ray

Not exactly correct. Its still direct injected. So emissions are still lower.

Thats why they are allowed on Dams that specify no 2 strokes.

The etec will also produce about 25% more torque than an equivilent four stroke. A 4 stroke produces a power stoke every other engine revolution. Etec produces a power stroke every revolution.

There servicing schedule of the first3 years or 300 hours still stands without using their premium oil. (Would be crazy to follow this)

And I believe its only the First 300 hours. After that the manual doesnt say what the recomended servicing schedule it.

The iradium plugs however are good for 300 hours.

I would still be getting water pumps check way more regularily.

check the spec. of different motors, 4 stroke have more torque in any type of motor,

Same boat, plate hull, same prop. one has a 115 4 stroke and the other has 115hp 2 stroke, the 4 stroke get's on the plane quicker, higher speed, way less noise and fumes and as soon as you load both boats up with people and gear of the same weight, the 2 stroke dies in the arse, less torque by far

A YZ250F four-stroke makes 20.1 foot-pounds of torque. Are you ready? A YZ250 two-stroke pumps out 30.6 ft-pounds.

The only way a four-stroke can compete with a two-stroke is if the displacement is larger.

Actually its a loaded question.

this explains a lot.
/>http://www.marineenginedigest.com/specialreports/2versus4stroke.htm

Also not the noise charastics comment. DI motors are actually quieter its just the frequency of the sound that can make it sound slighter louder.

I like the 250f vs 250 two stroke comparison... The only thing is you wouldn't be court dead at a mx track on a two stroke these days... Old technology... Also you need to analyse torque and power curve when looking at these to really compare accurately... You can have all the torque you want but if it doesn't come on until 3000 rpm then it is pointless... In saying that I have a Suzuki 2 stroke 30 hp and have been really happy with it

Two strokes have been around for ages, 4 strokes not quite so long and 2st DI haven't been around long at all. Personally I would go a yami or suzi 4st simply for the good rep, fuel and noise.

Maybe after a few different manufacturers bring out reliable 2st DI's for a while and they prove themselves it would be worth looking at them.

Fours are so simple but. Just fill up at the pump, no need for oil, dump the old fuel in your car when you get home. Normal 2st do have a nice powerband but in a small boat if you go max horsepower you shouldn't notice too much difference.

The etec will also produce about 25% more torque than an equivilent four stroke. A 4 stroke produces a power stoke every other engine revolution. Etec produces a power stroke every revolution.

There servicing schedule of the first3 years or 300 hours still stands without using their premium oil. (Would be crazy to follow this)

And I believe its only the First 300 hours. After that the manual doesnt say what the recomended servicing schedule it.

The iradium plugs however are good for 300 hours.

I would still be getting water pumps check way more regularily.

Shortie,

This is what Jimmy at Slades said, they literally change everything and we'll see you again in another 3yrs or 300 more hours for $ 550.00.

I was expecting every 12 months after the first service.

when i was lookin at motors i looked at all of them the price was only part or it.Weight came in to it service costs etc-even though its 300 hrs between services ill still get mine checked yearly just for piece of mind.ive also got a patrol great for towing and i also have it serviced regularly.

going back to the etec ive had mercs/suzukis etc all good motors but they were second hand when i got them and never had a problem except the merc liked fuel the new motor 0.8- 2.6lts per hr trollong with four people and gearwhich im very happy with 16ltrs per hr at 3500rpm 4 people gear and towing a 15ft runabout with 2 people in it.

Mate if ya have looking for a 25-30 hp and doing a lot of trolling for bass and yellow belly would defs go for the 4s, don't wanna be trollibg round with a smoke cloud behind you.

As for wat brand it up to you personally think ya can't beat merc yam or the new suzzys, but as for etec iv herd many bad things about them and personally wouldn't touch them

That's just my 2 cents :cheer:

Joel

Archived