North Pine dam 12/8/07

Aaron H

Well what an arvo I had today. After spending the morning as a pack horse at Chandler markets carrying the weeks fruit and veg I arrived at the dam at about 2pm.

I went to the pipeline that is directly opposite the bank where we fished the other week (a bit of a walk but have always done alright around that pipeline) I threw a shrimp out and then played with a few lures. I tried a gvibe to start with and didn't do any good, I then tied on a Halco slug. Bang first cast (these things cast a mile which I like to;) ) and a little rat bass came in. I got another two rats in quick succession on the slug and bang the slug got nailed on the four lb fireline I took it pretty easy and after a good fight landed a very nice bass which I think moight be a new pb for me, have lost my ruler but measured it against rod so I will find out tommorow when I buy a new tape measure. Awesome slugs 4 shrimp 0, I then twig that the fish are way out deep and threw on a heavier sinker to get the shrimp out further, it was then a good thing that they slowed down on the slugs as they started going off on shrimp hitting them on the drop a lot of the time, I ended up landing 27 all up (4 on slug 23 shrimp) majority around 25-35 with 3 that would have been over 40 and the bigger one also dropped a heap on the slug to. Let me tell you it is still dead Tilapia city and the odd monster bass (a couple would be giving 60cm a nudge to) everywhere, also took a piccy of what I think is a dead lungfish. Maybe the fish gods shined on me for being a good boyfriend and going to the markets this morning:laugh:

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/12082007_006_.jpg

Thank god someone walked past at the right time to take the photo

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/08/12 19:47

post-266-144598424135_thumb.jpg

I am flip flopping between eel and lungfish! Did it have scales, and did its dorsal fin start about half way down its back? If yes its a lungfish.

Interestingly enough whilst doing a bot of a look around for lungfish, I came across a link with a lungfish in an Aquarium that has been there since 1933. So obviously they live to a very old age!

/>http://www.amonline.net.au/FISHES/fishfacts/fish/nforsteri2.htm

Woohoo P.b 48.2cm, we got it in the bag Brian, they should hand us the prizes now eh:P .

Oceandonkey the shrimp seemed to survive alright as the very rare occurence I dragged one back in they were still alive.

As for the unknown piccy it was a lot thicker than what it appears in the photo, could't say whether it had scales or dorsal fin as it was to far gone, but the tail looks eelish don't know what sort of tails lungies have? Anyone ever got an eel outta there I haven't seen any?

Its an eel. The colour is irrelivant. Id say its just because its been half cooked and is rotten.

Lung fish have large scales and you can cleary see eel like skin peeling off.

Also a lung fish over a meter would have a much larger girth than that (even dead and decaying).

Thats my opinion, but im pretty confident.

Angus

Archived