Used to be a lake there once (Somerset)

Schultzy

It will be interesting to see how low the lakes get before the summer rains (hopefully) arrive.

What really scares me is thinking of how big the flood episode will be that breaks this drought.

The big dry of the late sixties was ended by the 74 floods. The mid nineties drought was ended by the '96 flood.

Look at the Hunter River in NSW and Gippsland in Victoria this year & how they came out of their drought.

Be very afraid!:(

el nino, la nina its an ecological cycle with la nina just around the corner ..... (insert me clinging to straws here) If only we knew their twice removed 2nd cousin la nino he would be the best of both worlds

Im hoping it floods.......and wipes all the freshwater fisherman out in 1 hit so that way it leaves professional anglers to roam the earth. heheheh ;):D

Schultzy wrote:

It will be interesting to see how low the lakes get before the summer rains (hopefully) arrive.

What really scares me is thinking of how big the flood episode will be that breaks this drought.

The big dry of the late sixties was ended by the 74 floods. The mid nineties drought was ended by the '96 flood.

Look at the Hunter River in NSW and Gippsland in Victoria this year & how they came out of their drought.

Schulty, I am very afraid.

In particular I am afraid of the lost fishing time that will happen upon those (me included) that will have to resume mowing lawns on weekends instead of fishing:(

I can't remember the last time I mowed.

When I went for my boat licence course about 2 months ago, There were a couple of gents in their 50-60's that started talking about the big flood of the 70's. It was a very interesting conversation for a newby to Brisbane like me. The gents got the charts out and showed me how the river swelled and change course.:dry:

Very scarey.:ohmy: They both were addament that it will happen again. They think that the damage will be greater this time though because houses have been built in places they should'nt be.:huh:

They are right, but the odds of it being soon are slim. Both Wivanhoe and Somerset are flood mitigation Dams, neither were built specifically to hold their full amount for water storage. Both dams are only expected to be full once in 100 years. They have been full 3 times in the last 30 years.

If you were a betting man and did your sums you would not be backing them being full for a couple of hundred years!

Also if you look at the Dam history on the South East Qld water site, it says (or did until recently) that Wivanhoe was built to meet Brisbane's water needs right up until the year 2000, a very accurate forecast indeed!.

So there is really no surprise we are running out of water.

Schultzy wrote:

This is my worry too, we are going to get smashed big time. It'll be like 2 months of sogginess. :pinch: :blush: :sick: .

Personally I have a huge problem - my pool is above my house!:ohmy: and thanks to these complusary pool covers the pool is full now - if it rains like I think it going to I am stuffed. Selfish, I know so bring on the rain - I sort something out.

Archived