Jungle Perch

Aaron H

Hey guys was reading an article from modern fishing (daydreaming during the quiet times at work again;) keeps me sane) And I stumbled upon an article about targetting Sooties and JPs up North. I tell u what it looks like some fun, pristine environment and the fish looked a good size to, anyone on here ever caught them and know there southern most limit, or am I dreaming about an unattainable species again:(

Its would take a trip mate i think.

But we could do it :)

Simon Harmon was telling me the other day he got onto some really good sooties in teh fresh at Bundy only a couple weeks ago.

I would love to catch jungle perch out of little rain forest streams though mate. Awesome experience.

Angus

Aaron,

Southern most limit is Logan River. They are quite rare in the southern part of their range. Biggest one I ever saw came from the Brissie River at Mt Crosby, went 52cm. Have caught several in the Mary River, but there again you could fish for alot of years without catching one.

If targeting them I start looking from Townsville north. Still reasonable numbers in the larger rivers of north Qld, usually in really difficult country, (where the mob won't walk).

Very wary fish, too handsome and special to keep.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/junglie_M50D.jpg

post-108-144598424658_thumb.jpg

i have heard that jp's were once found in kedron brook many many years ago....they are pretty fish thats for sure....when i lived in mackay i used to fish kinchant dam a lot and the sootys in there were great to catch and they went pretty hard too:)

so when ya going in search of a jp aaron?

Hmmmm, how long to drive to Mackay about 10 hrs? Definitely not a weekend trip might have to wait until next years holidays, havent figured out how I'm going to sell this one to the missus yet:whistle: lovely romantic walk in the rainforest with backpacks full of fishing gear:evil:

Archived