No more first home owners grant

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to get involved in the politics right at the moment but I believe making it only for new homes is what we need to get the economy going we need to stimulate the building industry.For anybody that works in any of the related industies we know how quiet things are by that I mean sparkies,plumbers and the like and as for that the building industry does have a follow on effect into the economy.
. Same thing has happened overseas , building boosted for a bit but then the estates are empty from people going into bankruptcy and banks can't sell the home unless it is at a loss . The estates Down near the servo south of the hyper dome are a prime example , they were all snapped up with the $21000 FHOG and now people can't afford the repayments . There was almost half the estate wanting to sell but couldn't due to not being able to sell to clear the mortgage .

This is exactly what I was trying to highlight. People getting into the dream of owning a home only to have it sour. It is a financial truth that not everybody can manage money and handle the commitment of a home loan. This example of the $21,000 of FHOG would have enabled people with no saving history or self control to get into a house. This is where government stimulus goes wrong. The carrot of government money and getting something back is too much for some people. I real tragedy for the individuals concerned.

Not having a go at you or anything. I really don't care about what people's opinion of him are. Just hate the fact that they will praise his work, then complain about what he did 6 months later. And again I'm not saying this is you shortie, just saying in general.

Can we revisit and measure this in 6 months time?

No need to

Look at newmans popularity in the recent polls. Slowly getting worse and worse
/>http://theconversation.edu.au/queensland-budget-the-crucial-test-for-newmans-government-9092

I'm not going to get involved in the politics right at the moment but I believe making it only for new homes is what we need to get the economy going we need to stimulate the building industry.For anybody that works in any of the related industies we know how quiet things are by that I mean sparkies,plumbers and the like and as for that the building industry does have a follow on effect into the economy.
. Same thing has happened overseas , building boosted for a bit but then the estates are empty from people going into bankruptcy and banks can't sell the home unless it is at a loss . The estates Down near the servo south of the hyper dome are a prime example , they were all snapped up with the $21000 FHOG and now people can't afford the repayments . There was almost half the estate wanting to sell but couldn't due to not being able to sell to clear the mortgage .

This is exactly what I was trying to highlight. People getting into the dream of owning a home only to have it sour. It is a financial truth that not everybody can manage money and handle the commitment of a home loan. This example of the $21,000 of FHOG would have enabled people with no saving history or self control to get into a house. This is where government stimulus goes wrong. The carrot of government money and getting something back is too much for some people. I real tragedy for the individuals concerned.

Although technically correct re. no savings required you will find the banks were extra careful during this period. I bought a house during that time and no bank would look at me unless I had 12 months of saving a mortgage payment every week, and then it was still a hassle. I needed some surgery just before I was about to sign the loan docs and the mortgage broker wouldn't let me touch my savings even to pay for that, even though we had more than twice the deposit required.

Despite media and unions shouting sad stories of individual dilemmas, no government can effectively govern by focussing on such micro issues. They need to deal on a macro basis and let the micro issues take care of themselves. To do otherwise and try to govern to be popular first and effective second you only need to look at what has been coming out of that little town between Sydney and Melbourne over the last 4 or 5 years (maybe more) to see it doesn't work to anyone longterm advantage (unless you are a consultant or professional committee person) .

A few other points of opinion -

FHOG for all will push up house prices

FHOG for new only will initially assist the construction/developer industries. It will then have a flow on effect through the economy as the builders and developers and all the businesses that sell to that industry start spending that money from the local shop to the theme park to the new car yard.

Don't forget the FHOG does not just apply to the SE cnr of QLD. It is state wide, so while it might not be that big of a deal buying at Runcorn or Moranbah, it may well be a big deal at Pratten.

The government cannot be concerned about whether an individual over-commits on a loan. That is the lenders job to vet. If a large trend becomes obvious then lender regulation needs to be tightened. However if someone over-commits it is irrelevant really as the government funds have been injected into the state's economy in any case.

Government stimuli results in a higher revenue to the government also, as the fees and charges on new houses flows back to them.

New homes relieves rental price pressure also, thus making it less burdensome on those that cannot or choose not to buy. It makes rental property investment less attractive on a return basis which has a dulling effect on price increases.

I am proud of being a union member as i know they will just not lookout for me but many others, the union will be responsible for the redundencies these workers will recieve after cant do campbell (the liar) and his henchmen finish slashin and burning. Again i feel sorry for the families that we know here and else where that will be effected with this qld goverments broken promises that there will be no forced redundencies.

Cant do campbell will make sure he looks after his developer mates first before all else while he sprukes on about keeping qld best interest at heart, the smiling assasin

From what I have heard around the traps Costellos ( Another liberal LIAR " remember the patricks dispute") finiancial report is a sham as he brokered in the once only drought and flood costs as a recurring annual cost and everything else was a worst case scenario.

Also nothing much has been said about the contractors who have already been given the flick. Those poor buggers are also out of work with little chance of picking up anything else.

All these contractors and state government workers who have been or will be sacked have little or no chance of reemployment and also they have not been sitting on their butts twiddling their thumbs but have been effectively assisting the government governing.

Who is going to be doing their work now?

Qld is about to have their own Cantdo induced recession.

Only one positive thing is that some thinking people will see what will happen to us if the Mad Abbot who cannot even string two words together comes into power.

Cheers

Ray

From what I have heard around the traps Costellos ( Another liberal LIAR " remember the patricks dispute") finiancial report is a sham as he brokered in the once only drought and flood costs as a recurring annual cost and everything else was a worst case scenario.

Cheers

Ray

Is the "Reputable Source" for this Professor Bob Walker?

Very true Ray its scary to think that the fedral liberals put that clown as thier leader and he could govern the country i know there is those that have consciences and a decent heart and then there is the liberals :dry:

God help us if they Keep him as the leader. http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3573785.htm < This is the guy they think can lead our country.....

A few suffer for the greater good

The end justifies the means

Read macchivelli the prince

Remember though Shortie, Machiavelli's intent was to make sure the prince succeeded; the Prince's subjects were a distant consideration and, by some arguments, were actually considered more of a hindrance as Machiavelli was advising the prince on how best to win the war against the church's influence.

Yes more lies and scare mongering from the Abbot he'll say and do anything to get into power didnt he even say he would sell his own aunty or something similar what a clown and he wants to lead this country

Very true Ray its scary to think that the fedral liberals put that clown as thier leader and he could govern the country i know there is those that have consciences and a decent heart and then there is the liberals :dry:

God help us if they Keep him as the leader. http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3573785.htm < This is the guy they think can lead our country.....

A few suffer for the greater good

The end justifies the means

Read macchivelli the prince

Remember though Shortie, Machiavelli's intent was to make sure the prince succeeded; the Prince's subjects were a distant consideration and, by some arguments, were actually considered more of a hindrance as Machiavelli was advising the prince on how best to win the war against the church's influence.

A couple of quotes for you Gary

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. (Poor Cambell Newman)

Severities should be dealt out all at once, so that their suddenness may give less offense; benefits ought to be handed ought drop by drop, so that they may be relished the more. (What Cambell is doing)

Obviously my original point was to do with the act rather that the resoning behind the act. These reasons obviously differ in a democracy and a principality.

As far as Tony Abbott is concerned I just hope that anyone considering voting for this clown in the future takes the time to listen to the dribble he speaks. I don't usually put in my two cents as far as politics go and have voted liberal in past national elections but NO WAY will I ever vote for Abbot, unbelievable how ill informed, pointless and fanciful his arguments are. absolute joke.

As far as Tony Abbott is concerned I just hope that anyone considering voting for this clown in the future takes the time to listen to the dribble he speaks. I don't usually put in my two cents as far as politics go and have voted liberal in past national elections but NO WAY will I ever vote for Abbot, unbelievable how ill informed, pointless and fanciful his arguments are. absolute joke.

All you have to do is watch the link i posted earlier for proof of his stupidity. All he knows how to do is trash talk the PM. Trash talk using ill informed knowledge.

Years ago there was no help from anyone when it came to buying your home. We all had to save up the deposit which could have been as high as 25% of the sale price and then we had to plead with the banks or insurance co's or building societies for the balance. People these days have got it on a platter for finance. The only thing wrong is that many people buy more than they can afford just to keep up with some of their peers. Don't knock Newmans offer, be thankful that there is a hand out at all. If you can't afford it, don't buy it cos it will just break you further down the track! Ian M :cheer:

Thats a bit ruff when everyone here is giving it to politicans and then you come out Brian and say some of us have replied with moronic statemnets does that mean some or many of us are morons as i find it a bit offensive as we are just giving our opinions on the latest politics.

I think we can have our say what ever side of politics we are on without being personly attacked

and if you hate the carbon tax, take a look at Phoney Tony's "direct action" he will basically tax the bejesus out of workers and give it to his rich mates. He is an utter moron.

This is completely inaccurate. There have been some moronic comments so far but this takes the cake. :lol:

No Mark, you have it wrong.

I'm attacking the statements as being moronic. You don't have to be a moron to make moronic statements. There is no personal attack intended. Apologies if you felt it so. Rest assured if I think someone is a moron I will say so directly.

The use of the term was no doubt influenced by Eddie's inaccurate use of the word.

Surprised to see you getting involved to be honest; you being one of the big advocates for no political discussion on AFO :huh:

No Brian you have it wrong

I'm not a big advocate for no political discusion all i have said once in the past is that if you do not want the site to descend in to just bitching and name calling etc then dont have political debate but i never said we shouldnt have it someone else brought that up.

With moronic statements it implies that those who have made them have do not the intellect to converse properly and there is some sort of intent to belittle those who have made these statemnets so all i am saying is there is no need for it and i'll accept your appoligy and leave it at that.

There is no implication intended as I previously stated. If you decide to read it that way I can do nothing more. My responses to you should not be read to imply that I don't think there are morons contributing to this thread though.

Other than that - Cool. So let the debate and opinions flow. Looking forward to more laughs and guffaws.

I thought this was a fishing website?

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

fishing web yes, that is correct, but if my memory serves me correctly, you have had your fair say and imput in a lot of political views and I think even started some.

We are all entitled to have our opinion on other thing other than fishing, hence all the other topics you can discuss. If you don’t like it ignore it, I myself have learnt of this topic and in the end even if only one person learns something than at least it hasn’t been for no reason

Apologies, apparently I needed to put one of :whistle: after my comment to reference it as satirical rather than a chop and anyone or anything :whistle: :P

But all good, I have contributed to the thread and probably will have more to say once the budget numbers are crunched.

Giving $15,000 to purchases of new homes though I cant help but feel is preyed upon by builders who mark their product up accordingly and make a grab for it instead of going in the new purchasers pocket. There must be another way of giving first home buyers a leg up and spurning on the building industry other than just a cash rebate.

PS... Ellicat - I have hit the report to mod button on you (again) :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Please keep it friendly everyone.

Yes political topics do usually cause a bit of a stir and ruffle a few feathers but these are issues that affect our daily lives and consequently our fishing. We like people to be able to discuss all issues as long as they are in the correct categories.

I'm attacking the statements as being moronic. You don't have to be a moron to make moronic statements. There is no personal attack intended. Apologies if you felt it so. Rest assured if I think someone is a moron I will say so directly.

Mate, I quite clearly (okay, somewhat clearly because my James Boag's appears to be empty) remember having a debate with you awhile back where me not thinking that the method of delivery does not make the person delivering it into a bad person (the whole don't kill the messenger idea) and you disagreed (strenuously).

So, I've decided to change up one of your paragraphs by a few words (and put the changes in brackets [ ] :

I'm attacking the [other party's] statements as being moronic. You don't have to be a [member of the other party] moron to make statements [with which I don't agree]. There is no personal attack intended. Apologies if you felt it so. Rest assured if I think someone is a [member of the other party] moron I will say so directly.

The best part of making this post is that next month we are going to see each other and go on a great fishing trip, maybe have some intelligent discussions, and talk smack about Ted.... :evil: :whistle:

Mate, I quite clearly (okay, somewhat clearly because my James Boag's appears to be empty) remember having a debate with you awhile back where me not thinking that the method of delivery does not make the person delivering it into a bad person (the whole don't kill the messenger idea) and you disagreed (strenuously).

So, I've decided to change up one of your paragraphs by a few words (and put the changes in brackets [ ] :

I'm attacking the [other party's] statements as being moronic. You don't have to be a [member of the other party] moron to make statements [with which I don't agree]. There is no personal attack intended. Apologies if you felt it so. Rest assured if I think someone is a [member of the other party] moron I will say so directly.

The best part of making this post is that next month we are going to see each other and go on a great fishing trip, maybe have some intelligent discussions, and talk smack about Ted.... :evil: :whistle:

Bring on the smack talk

No Gary, You are wrong.....

You cannot put words in my mouth and then accuse me of saying what you want to hear me say. That is not what I said and my comment was A-political apart from my response to Eddie.

As to the first part I don't recall it but have to assume you are wrong or have misinterpreted my words or I have failed to make mu point plain enough.

I am not expecting much in the way of intelligent conversation on the trip. I'm sure most of the conversation will be unintelligible with very few of the words or sounds being locatable in a dictionary lol

I pondered deleting your post as it is off-topic and not relevant even though it flows with some of the previous posts.

Let's keep the thread on topic from here on. If any member wants to attack me or my opinion outside the intended parameters of the thread feel free to do so by PM.

Looks like cant do cmapbell(the liar) has back flipped on some of sackings in the rural fire brigade after his parliment mates from the bush threatened to mutiny against his decision here imagine that while it looks like we are coming into a bad fire season with so much fuel out there with big wet seasons and now a long dry period its ripe for a disaster.Then there is old mate Clive Palmer who wants cant do campbell gone from the leadership where will it end with this hopeless government

Looks like cant do cmapbell(the liar) has back flipped on some of sackings in the rural fire brigade after his parliment mates from the bush threatened to mutiny against his decision here imagine that while it looks like we are coming into a bad fire season with so much fuel out there with big wet seasons and now a long dry period its ripe for a disaster.Then there is old mate Clive Palmer who wants cant do campbell gone from the leadership where will it end with this hopeless government

I think it is great that all the focus is on Campbell however decisions in government are made by the cabinet and party. Given the rush to get back on track I think it can be expected that there will be examples where changes are made. I think it is a great part of the LNP that they can stand up and make a stance against a policy of the party. This is a strength of an organisation. This is something that is not tolerated in the Labor Party.

"This is something that is not tolerated in the Labor Party."

Incorrect

Amazing what peoples perception of organizations that they do not belong to are .

Cheers

Ray

How many times have the Labor members crossed the floor?

From Wikipedia (I know it is not an authority) "In Australia, one of the major parties (the Australian Labor Party) forbids its members from crossing the floor,[1] while amongst other parties it is rare. Senator Barnaby Joyce of the National Party of Australia however, crossed the floor 19 times under the Howard coalition government.[2] However, the record for crossing the floor in the Australian Parliament goes to Tasmanian Senator Sir Reg Wright, who voted against his own party (the Liberal Party of Australia) on 150 occasions." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_floor

1. ^ "Crossing the floor in the Federal Parliament 1950 – August 2004". Research Note no. 11 2005–06. Australian Parliament. October 10, 2005.

2.^ Debelle, Penelope (May 31, 2008). "Independently inclined". The Age.

Archived