Where is AFO going???

BassTracker

There are some people on here that are afraid to loose all of their hard work on the forum and therefore wont say what they feel, others have a lot of good mates and don’t want to loose this method of staying in touch, and still others who know that despite what is said on forums or by moderators there are a few people who you don’t want to get on the wrong side of or disagree with too much or you will be targeted by, baited by, harassed off the forum and on until you have enough, say your bit and are eventually banned, and others who (and fair enough) dont care much, I was on that team too when it came to the politics of the site until recently.

Now I know there are 2 sides to ever story but really? You’ve got a bunch of guys, great fisherman, great contributors to the socials and reports who have been banned after being baited and baited by Shortie, (among others) not only in the forums but also via personal emails, text messages, facebook comments and the use of the BFO facebook group, some of them so vulgar that they don’t deserve repeating ( and I’ve got a pretty good sense of humor and a strong stomach). Shortie is even keeping a running tally, or what he calls his PBâ€s for who have crossed him and been banned. He makes comments like, “Don’t cross Ellicat it’s a fight you cant win†and other comments alluding to the fact that he is not going to be banned but you will be. Now I’ve only met Ellicat once at a BRC event and from what I remember he was a nice bloke, we had a good chat but I don’t pretend to know him, or have any desire to bring him into it. I will say that I’m sure that he is very well aware of the problem. (It was during that conversation with Ellicat that I experienced for the first time the social hierarchy that some members would like to count themselves close to the top of, when I listened to Tomca, in regal form, elaborate on why you are a tool if you drive the Brisbane river with 80 wide reels hanging off the back of your boat, in reference to Madmullet. I think we have all grown up enough to realize that diversity is what makes the sport so interesting, there is always another direction you can head in fishing to challenge yourself, I imagine that’s the idea of a forum like this, to showcase that diversity.

I’ve been a member for 5 years now and have met some of the best blokes on this site, willing to go the extra mile to help, give advice, organize socials, have a yarn, tint your windows, rebuild you trailer, feed you full of mud crabs, tell you the best time to cross a bar, share tips on how to do things better or easier, take you to their favorite spots, come round for dinner, meet your family. These blokes are what a forum like this is all about; they are not elitist or snobby. They don’t puff themselves up like peac#cks on display; they don’t behave like the teachers pet, they are fairdinkum. Unfortunately it seems that the culture of AFO is moving away from such blokes and trying to corner another market, that’s fine, that’s you prerogative, but do it with some respect and courtesy rather than labeling these guys the boys club. There is no club mentality there, there does seem to be a very unhelpful influence by people like Shortie that far outweighs the negatives of any boys club.

Now these guys will get a kick out of this post, that’s what they do, but for the rest of my fellow AFO members, is this really what you want for the forum you are a part of?

i have to agree with brad. i have made some really good mates off this site but theres others whove done nothing but go out of their way to bait and bully my mates. now the thing im extremely p**sed off about is that the guys who have also sent horrendous messages and other forms of media to my friends where in actual reality could be presented as slander in the courts. but yet these people remain and my friends, who i may add were the reason this site was awesome and the reason i wanted to join, i got excited to go fishing with these guys because they would share their knowledge and help out everyone they could. they were honest people. and you banned them? this to me is moronic as ive seen the number in posts and activity drop. all i know is something needs to be done and if thats the direction that the site wants to head thats fine. im just not sure if i would like to be a part of that!

I just wanna go fishing and talk to other cats who like fishing, and this is the best place to do that.

I'm on other forums, too but this is where I keep coming back to.

I don't care who said what to who, that doesn't concern me and is not my business, I'm here to scratch an itch I can't always reach...

Thats true Damien, Ive happily been a member here for over 5 years, but when you take a look at the extent, especialy shortie will go to, here and on any other forum, if that was happening to you... well, I mean he's even looking up peoples work emails and sending them emails at work... come on. Thats a disgraceful use of the information people post on this site.

There may be only two in the tango, but the third person is the judge who has to make the call on who started the dance and then how the dancers interacted.

I'm a little sick of these one-eyed and one-sided threads (sorry Brad) where those who feel they or their friends have been hurt by the system. As I get to see everything that goes on on AFO I can assure you all that noone has been banned that should not have been banned. I don't care what happens on Facebook or some other place on the internet that is not my domain.

I do know of one instance from Facebook where Kane decided to start an insulting stir with shortie and when he got a due reply he was indignant about it and cried like the little fat sook he has proved to be. That stuff can stay on FB, do not bring it here.

If members are feeling too emotional to play properly on AFO that is their problem. The thing is, if they decided to return to the playground for a fun day then that is exactly what they would probably get. If not, there is a big world out there with lots of children to use the playground if they don't want a ride.

No one is forcing anyone to remain part of AFO or any other community forum.

Something is only as good as the sum total of the individual components.

If you choose as a member to support those who blatantly flout the site rules that you have been a member of, whether it be for 5 minutes or 5 years, then you deserve to be scrutinised a little more closely than those members who toe the line.

I'm not the type of person to name, shame, blame, or to decide that I can't get along with somebody because somebody else I get along with doesn't like them.

I have, however, noticed (or imagined) a change since BFO became AFO. The community / mateship feel that kept me coming back and logging on - or sometimes just plain not logging off - is not as strong as it was previously.

I've noticed that I am checking the forum less often and definitely not staying on as long as previously, let alone putting up posts or replying to topics; I see what other people are copping and realize that I just don't care enough to put myself through the same thing.

I enjoy the site and have met some great folks, but I've already become a bit of a lurker and will probably fade into the shadows even more as time goes on.

I try not to get involved with all the politics that seems to go on. I have heard one or two things since I've been a member that I have thought to be not the best things to say or do. But have kept well out of it. Having said that I have not been the most social person on the site having only met about 4 or 5 people, and I'm wanting to change that.

Like most people here, I'm here for fishing, and the occasional fight that erupts every state of origin time haha

I think month in month out there will always be a member who does not like or experiences some form of issue with another member, that will always remain not everyone will get along. Sometimes it may be small like being chipped for taking home a feed and so on but usually these types of small issues blow over pretty quick.

Having said that there is no doubt that there are a couple people on here that have been the centre of many incidents and lately are also using other forms of media to vent and taunt for if they made those comments on here let's see how long they would last.

for anyone interested here is the page, It's not hard to see where the problem lies

*Admin removed link*

To cut a long story short I think AFO will lose some good people who offer a lot of advice, great reports, deckie spots etc.. but then again new people will come along and the circle of life continues

Personally i try to ignore the rubbish but it's getting difficult when it moves out of AFO and ends up in my new feed on FB

It was funny how i got banned just before Xmas for 7 days due to a comment about "going under the desk" but Tomca can type F**K OFF Idiot, stay out of my threads to me and he probably didn't even get a strike let alone a few days in the sin bin.

Bit unfair in my opinion...

cheers tim :)

It seems like things have gone further than the odd tiff on here.

I've been part of a few colourful threads in the past and have since disassociated myself from a few members, as those members have from me. I would describe the situation amicable, and in recent times matters have been put to bed. It will always take two to tango, claiming innocence in an argument is ridiculous.

If people can't be grown up enough to be able to use a forum that other individuals they do not associate with are also utilising then that to me shows the colour of the individual through and through.

As is said so many times, If it's not to your taste why comment,,, it takes a while to realise it doesn't get you anywhere, I'm still learning :P getting there though.

I'd rather just post up reports ,, if I caught more fish I'd be fine!!

Callum

It was funny how i got banned just before Xmas for 7 days due to a comment about "going under the desk" but Tomca can type F**K OFF Idiot, stay out of my threads to me and he probably didn't even get a strike let alone a few days in the sin bin.

Bit unfair in my opinion...

cheers tim :)

Not that I need to justify myself, but....

You were given the benefit of my post PRE_WARNING you and then came back the very next post and pushed the limit I'd already set. Not real hard to figure..... :blink:

I must say I have stopped posting for the most part lately because of this.

No one can honestly tell me people are not treated like river mud for a differing opinion and I keep out of it as much as possible but it is out of hand and thanks for posting Brad

I am getting sick of these sober keyboard experts.

and in rolls the boot hahaha

I'm not the type of person to name, shame, blame, or to decide that I can't get along with somebody because somebody else I get along with doesn't like them.

I have, however, noticed (or imagined) a change since BFO became AFO. The community / mateship feel that kept me coming back and logging on - or sometimes just plain not logging off - is not as strong as it was previously.

I've noticed that I am checking the forum less often and definitely not staying on as long as previously, let alone putting up posts or replying to topics; I see what other people are copping and realize that I just don't care enough to put myself through the same thing.

I enjoy the site and have met some great folks, but I've already become a bit of a lurker and will probably fade into the shadows even more as time goes on.

Your a top bloke Gary, that would be a shame

Yes,no.thats right,you are wrong,i agree.i disagree.

We are all different with diverse values and have to respect other persons opinions and just as long as I have the last word this is what I practice. :blush: .

The site was running wild a while back with a lot of backbiting and oneupmanship which had a detrimental effect on the site itself and peeved off some very faithful sponsors.

When the mods tried to pull everyone into line I think that some members did not think that the mods were fair dinkum and kept carrying on whilst others pulled their head in. Maybe these people should be given another chance and strikes against existing members removed and we all start off anew under clear guidelines on what is not tolerated. What goes on in other sites is not relevant here.

From the posting page on another site.

THINK ABOUT IT...- if it is going to offend, is rude, or just not nice – DON’T POST IT

Cheers

Ray

Went fishing last weekend, i will go fishing this weekend and most likely every other weekend of the year. As for where afo is going i cant see a problem as ive only met good people through the site and hope to meet plenty more through socials or just meeting up for a fish as for the keyboard warriors on here with the he said she said attitude etc stop clogging up the site with your petty issues and bring on the Summer Classic i say.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Eug, thats true mate, on the other hand I guess there is a fair amount of inequity there.

Brad, I've only managed to catch a few of these threads here (mostly after it's been heavily modded). Initially I saw a few cheeky comments about how particular styles of fishing isn't real fishing and it just went downhill from there. Started getting personal and a bit nasty. Not sure about what comments occurred elsewhere. Point of the matter is that it started from a snide remark that shouldn't have been made and should have been ignored.

I would also like to point out that sometimes a reference to an inside joke may be made on the forum between two people who know each other well. People need to be aware that a certain level of trust/awareness is required before commenting as such (I've had to explain to a third party via PM a few times that a comment directed at me was in jest).

If someone is trying to bait me, I don't bite. If everyone took a deep breath (and stopped thinking with their ego) before they hit submit then I dare say the mods would have a much easier time.

Like I said it takes two.

I've met some great people on here from all types of fishing. Others have taken me on their boat and I've taken others on mine. I'm just here to enjoy myself, I do not think for a second that everyone will agree with me all the time. I understand that fact and if there's something I don't agree with I'll keep my trap shut. It's those who continually try to push their own thoughts and opinions to change others that will only disappoint themselves. I hope to meet some more great BFOers and hope some of us can agree to disagree and get on with fishing (whatever style).

Cheers

Eug

Agree with Chris, although not on face book so cant see whats its all about. disagreement is not dis like

I'm with you, anyone on farcebook is sus to start with!

I must be "SUS" :P:P

I am on "Farcebook"....That way I can keep in touch with my family and grandkids, that are scattered about Australia and the rest of the world.

Before you come on and "Blanket everyone" that is on facebook or skype or what ever,as SUS, maybe you should get to know them a little better, and then pull your bloody head in.

Laurie.

Agree with Chris, although not on face book so cant see whats its all about. disagreement is not dis like

I'm with you, anyone on farcebook is sus to start with!

I must be "SUS" :P:P

I am on "Farcebook"....That way I can keep in touch with my family and grandkids, that are scattered about Australia and the rest of the world.

Before you come on and "Blanket everyone" that is on facebook or skype or what ever,as SUS, maybe you should get to know them a little better, and then pull your bloody head in.

Laurie.

Well after i "pulled my bloody head in " and realised how i have been "blanketing everyone" I did the most unusual thing and picked up a phone and "called" some one i wanted to talk to was a Lil strange at first but i got used to it after a while, ;) Just a piss take loz :side:

G'day All,

I haven't been on for a while, and honestly, these days, rarely do. The reasons for this started out due to all the "lurker" illegal fishermen....The blokes who try and find our spots in order to take a white bucket down there and burn, rape and pillage. Recently though, I have become aware of all the bickering on here. Our mods are stuck doing a very difficult job. They are mates with us, but also have a job that sometimes brings them in conflict with us. Should we get our noses' out of shape over this? I happen to work in an industry that is very hierarchy-governed. I am mates with blokes above me, but understand that when they draw a line.....I cross at my own peril.....and this ends up with me getting stomped on lol. For the most part, blokes just need to be accountable for their actions (ie; posts) and remember that being a mod is just a job, and that there is nothing personal involved in it. Finally fellas....Don't give out "stick", if you are not prepared to cop said "stick" back.

Ha ha ha!!!!! So many other things to be worried about in this life.

Cheers,

Ryan.

I hear what ya saying bass tracker.

It does get frustrating looking at a wall of threads which content is full of arguing.I am sure most of us here on the site would like to see our selves still reporting mad fishing sessions on this forum in years to come.

I want to be on this forum long term but cant see it really.A change is as good as a holiday they say :lol: maybe thats all i need.

Iam only logging in every once and a while now and sure enough every time i do theres another hostile thread involing the same members.I would have to agree that there have been some awesome members banned over the years and i greatly miss there input and wealth of knoledge to the site. there have been some complete tossers banned too which i dont miss at all and i thank the mods greatly for that ;)

It must be tough being a mod with such instigators as members on the site.I could only imagine how hard it must be not allowing friendship to cloud your judgement to influence decisions an editing etc,

I cant help but wonder if some certain person/persons secure there spot as a member on the site through the form of donations :whistle:

This site is going down the path of all other forums where the membership numbers overtake the community feel.

I do not really think this is the case. There are only about 130 to 140 unique ip address each day to the site last time I did a query. That is not a great deal of unique individuals. The issue relates to certain members as Manni pointed out the AFO Facebook page is a clear indication of the culture that prevails and as it is named the same and hindering the admins should be taken into consideration.

Quite simply blind Freddy on a galloping horse could see certain members as temporary. The problem is that Freddy would also be able to see the bullying and baiting that occurs. Agreed people should be bigger and not bite but certain members have gone out of their way to bully people. When a member is banned they have just turned their focus on someone else. Each time someone is banned these individuals make reference to having to update their PB list as if it is some sort of sport. Cut the rubbish and grow up. It really is an easy fix to get the site back on track but unfortunately you can not continually ban one side of the argument.

I think, to answer the original question, if we were BFO and are now AFO, logically the next place AFO would go would be ZFO. What is stands for I am open to suggestions...

QED

HHHMMM i dont get it why would AFO want to focuss there fishing attention too Zimbabwe...that Zimman fellow he must have somthing to do with this :whistle: doesnt he,new sponsor?him and his flamin efrican hair salon. :P;)

This site is going down the path of all other forums where the membership numbers overtake the community feel.

I do not really think this is the case. There are only about 130 to 140 unique ip address each day to the site last time I did a query. That is not a great deal of unique individuals. The issue relates to certain members as Manni pointed out the AFO Facebook page is a clear indication of the culture that prevails and as it is named the same and hindering the admins should be taken into consideration.

Quite simply blind Freddy on a galloping horse could see certain members as temporary. The problem is that Freddy would also be able to see the bullying and baiting that occurs. Agreed people should be bigger and not bite but certain members have gone out of their way to bully people. When a member is banned they have just turned their focus on someone else. Each time someone is banned these individuals make reference to having to update their PB list as if it is some sort of sport. Cut the rubbish and grow up. It really is an easy fix to get the site back on track but unfortunately you can not continually ban one side of the argument.

You can also not delete your way out of an argument.

As I've said before and will continue to say, despite my deleted posts(did I say censorship is bad?), the mods are involved at a personal level and an offer needs to go out to recruit some other mods and give our current ones a break.

All good mate, but I have seen it before on AF, SW, and other sites, the community feel and mate ship is lost as the site gets bigger and people dont now each other personnaly, then the perceived cliques, factions and bickering start.

I dont post a lot, but just had a quick look around, and there are some comments on here in various threads that should have seen the poster warned, post deleted immediantly, if for nothing else but a lack of common courtesy and respect.

The Mods/Admin need to step up here, or the site will spiral into a yelping mess of in-fighting very quickly.

That FB page, either take control of that puerile rubbish, or dis-own AFO from it, it is kindy stuff, I would imagine a forum seeking to grow (BFO changed to AFO) doesnt need that kind of public comment associated with its name.

Not my site, just my comments as a member not associated with anybody

You can also not delete your way out of an argument.

As I've said before and will continue to say, despite my deleted posts(did I say censorship is bad?), the mods are involved at a personal level and an offer needs to go out to recruit some other mods and give our current ones a break.

I've broken no rules. I've not insulted anyone except booty for which I have said sorry for. Yet you continue to delete my posts instead of addressing the issue that I have raised which is on subject yet you continue to delete my posts... Like when I raised the issue of the new paywall that is coming in when I first saw it.

At least contact me to sya why posts get deleted... communication!

There seems to be alot of fuming people aroud at the moment in various issues. I have no issues with anyone, and I realize that there are some issues on the site. Trying to solve issues with a ban stick by deleting accounts and comments is not the solution in my eyes, and obviously hasn't worked has it? Nothing against the mods here, for me personally, I've yet to have a problem with any of them. So to me they are doing their job of keeping the forum clean of irrelevant stuff, which I thank them for. But maybe a different approach is necessary because the current methods are not working, just take a read of this thread. I'm not siding with anyone at all. Not my place to.

What ever happened to 2 blokes cutting through the garbage, and sorting out their problems and not relying on a Internet forum moderator to sort their stuff out.

C'mon guys...we are all here for the one reason, group hug and let's get on with the show haha

Archived