Scarborough Reefs Light Up!

sunnydays

Hey Guys!

Andrew (Gloomy Samurai) and myself fished the north reef and surrounding rocky outcrops this morning on our kayaks. There was a light S/E blowing and the chop was around 1-2 feet - Perfect conditions for stalking bream in the shallow reefs!

post-7718-144598919162_thumb.jpg

The last few sessions I have had there with Dan25 were tough, but the fish have really come on there again which is good to see. I am not sure if this is due to the rain, the significantly smaller amount of jellies in the water, or another factor that I am completely oblivious too!

Anyway, the morning started out with a nice bream (37ttf) boated, and a couple of unstop-ables. I suspect the unstop-ables where snapper that took wild runs and dusted Andrew on the reef. I was very happy to land my new PB of 37ttf on a Flash J Fish Arrow courtesy of Khoi (thanks mate!)

post-7718-144598919151_thumb.jpg

post-7718-144598919167_thumb.jpg

The morning progressed and some smaller bream were boated and dropped on hardbodies and plastics. Atomic deep cranks, Daimiki Armour Shads, Zman Grubz, and Daimiki D Grubs were all producing interest from the bream. I tried to stay clear of the gulp and bream prawns for change today!

All of a sudden, Andrew is on to nice bream that he is able to steer away from the reef edge. Andrew did very well to land this 38ttf stonker on a P21 Crackjack 44dsr. I think a PB for him too?

post-7718-144598919172_thumb.jpg

I am slightly insane and like to fish for 9 hours at a time, so I said fairwell to Andrew and thanked him for an enjoyable morning. On his way back, he could'nt resist one last flick and got smoked by something that took 50m of line. I didn't know this until he texted me later.

Surprisingly, I had one last flick on the way back and got smoked as well. I have never been smoked like that at the reefs before. I cast back in the same spot, and bang... smoked again! This time I wasn't taking no for an answer. I changed up to 6lb leader. Cast. Smoked! :evil:

By this time I was pretty peeved and some expelitves were inevitable!!! I pesisted in casting at these fish and finally was able to pull one of their heads away from the reef. I assume it was a samller specimen as it didn't run anywhere near as hard as the previous models, but I was happy none the less to land my PB 51cm Snapper on 6lb in shallow reef! :cheer:

post-7718-144598919176_thumb.jpg

post-7718-14459891918_thumb.jpg

The perfect pan sized snapper was released back to its nursery so one of you boys can catch it when it grows up a little! :P

Cheers for reading, and thanks Andrew for a great day! B)

Bloody good work there Justin & Andrew!

I'm glad the lures worked for you =]

Did you blood the duff yet mate?

You wouldn't believe it... second cast, PB bream!. I caught the snapper on the x842. Got a cheeky little somethin' somethin' arriving sometime this week! :)

PS I am very impressed with the flash J's. I didn't think there could be a lure more effective than a gulp shrimp or armour shad!

cheers

Archived