Nordic Stage Jaeger - Review

Obsession_Fishing

Hey guys Mick Hasset recently did this review on our Nordic Stage Areal Jaeger and has given permission to share on AFO... We wanted to post this here in blatant answer to a few PM's we have received lately basically asking... "are these rods to light for anything bigger than bream"... Enjoy :)

post-9039-14459892722_thumb.jpg

For the past few months I have been giving the little Nordic Stage Jaeger a workout on a range of species we get up here in Mackay. My first thoughts of this rod were that it would be a bit too light to deal with the punishment I had in store for it. Well I was wrong, I started small with a few bream and flathead, then stepped it up to some tarpon, dealt with a few nice barra and recently have been putting it to the test on small mackerel and queenfish from the beach.

post-9039-14459892723_thumb.jpg

This little weapon has made itself a well earned spot in my arsenal and is quickly becoming one of my favorite rods. I have been a fan of ultra light gear for a long time now, I stepped away from it a bit after moving back up to Mackay but now I’m back. Ever since getting the Jaeger I remember why I love it so much and I honestly get disappointed when I go somewhere that I can’t use it. The fun you can have with a little stick like this can turn a session of average fish into a really enjoyable trip, and when you do hook onto something good it really puts the pressure on and gets the adrenaline pumping!

post-63-144598403825_thumb.jpg

I have mine matched up to a Daiwa Emeraldas 2506 which weighs 210g and I find that it balances perfectly. In the beginning I had it loaded up with 4lb braid but I recently changed over to 2lb and the rod has really come into its own with the lighter class line. I find that I can cast a 3? unweighted plastic a good distance with very little effort and it tosses a small hardbody a mile.

post-9039-144598927243_thumb.jpg

There are 2 other models in the Areal range which are the Sharpshooter and the Gunslinger. The Sharpshooter is the longest rod in the range at 7 foot and rated at 2-8lb perfect for finesse flats fishing. The Gunslinger being the shortest at 6 foot is made for casting into heavy cover with pinpoint accuracy. The Jeager which is the rod I have is the all rounder being 6’6 and a very versatile little stick!

post-63-144598403834_thumb.jpg

There are 2 other models in the Areal range which are the Sharpshooter and the Gunslinger. The Gunslinger is the longest rod in the range at 7 foot and rated at 2-8lb perfect for finesse flats fishing. The Sharpshooter being the shortest at 6 foot is made for casting into heavy cover with pinpoint accuracy.

These 2 models mentioned are around the wrong way ;)

Jaeger is definitely the pick of the range for me, I personally don't think there is a rod in that class that can match it for all round ability and pricing. I have given mine a thorough workout on tarpon, giant herring, bass and a few good bream and it has handled it with ease despite on occasion being bent over at the foregrip with the reel drag wound fairly tight. I think I need another actually :whistle:

Archived