Leslie Harrison Dam to be opened to the public / backflip ?

Bi_polar

What a twisted world we live in. On page 6 of the latest bayside Bulletin Mcardle is denying statements attributed to him re the opening of the dam and says its all in limbo until SEQ water finalist its review process.

I have approached my local Councillor about the facilitating the establishment of a stocking group and he passed the buck to the Capalaba Councillor who promptly said its nothing to do with the council as its a state government thing.

I also made a post on another fishing forum where State MP Mark Robinson has been extolling the virtues of the LNP s policies and how they are helping recreational fishing and tourism.

Here is his response.

Hi Ray. I was at the dam recently with local MPs, the mayor and minister McArdle looking at possibilities. While there is no govt funding available, a proposal for a PPP (private investment) could work. We are open to it - Steve Davies MP Capalaba is the best one to speak to.

Let me know how your enquiries go.

Regards,

mark

In other words p off.

Cheers

Ray

Takes 3 weeks for him to realize that he either did not say something or didnt really mean it.

Why was the meeting held at the dam 3 weeks ago?

Were they just having a picnic lunch that the local reporter just happened to attend.

Wonder if she recorded his statement?

When will the community consultation happen and who will be able to participate.

A stocking group cannot be formed overnight and needs to be in existence prior to the consultation process so that they can effectively be part of the process;

You can say I am a bit peeved off.

Ray

Please find attached part of an email from the recreational coordinator of SEQ water.

We are not yet seeking formal submissions about recreational use of Leslie Harrison Dam, although we have received some suggestions from members of the public and interested recreational user groups.

As part of our recreation review, we are intending to release discussion papers for the lakes over the next twelve months or so. More information will be provided on the timetable for the proposed review, once the process is finalised – that information will be available on our website. Please be assured that you will be able to provide your comments into this process in due course.

It is going to be a long drawn out process.

Possibly leslie Harrison will be the last dam to be reviewed as part of the total review of all SEQ waters dams.

In the meantime I am continuing to endeavor to get a stocking group set up prior to the review.

I feel that an established stocking group would have more clout than submissions from individuals.

Cheers

Ray

Ray what would be involved in starting up a stocking group ie; regular minuted meetings, do you register it with govt, keep in contact with fish suppliers etc

I ask this as you would have more idea than the average punter and probably us local guys who would join the group

Still investigating what has to be done. I have yet to contact a person in fisheries .

Basically have to form an incorporated group, get it registered, develop an stocking and management plan and get it approved by fisheries.

Been advised would have no problems with fisheries as long as we stuck with toga,bass and MRC.

Cheers

Ray

You can setup and even stock it without public access. We were asked to apply for a permit to stock a dam without public access by Fisheries, but they were not offering any extra funding so we said no. We had already been stung with Baroon pocket where they gave a grand sum of an extra $500 for picking up another dam. (Not that it matters now as all funding was withdrawn by Can Sackem)

• 11 months later...

:whistle: ..................................

Dear Stakeholder

You may be aware from recent media coverage that a number of dams across South East Queensland are to be upgraded.

Following recent assessment Leslie Harrison Dam has been identified as one of the dams to be upgraded in the next five years. Lowering of the water level to approximately 40% of current capacity will commence soon and is expected to be completed mid-year.

While the water level is at this reduced level and until work on the dam wall is completed Seqwater cannot consider introducing on-water recreation at the dam.

As a result, Leslie Harrison Dam has been removed from the current recreation review schedule and will not be reviewed this year. Recreation opportunities at the dam will be considered once the dam has been upgraded and the water level restored.

Seqwater appreciates the efforts of everyone who took the time to participate in the review process to date and values the community feedback ad input from individuals provided to date.

You can keep up-to-date with progress of the Dam Improvement Program on our website or subscribe to e-updates to have the latest information emailed to you.

Talk about right hand not knowing what left is doing.

Copy of latest email.

recreationreview

To ' and 292 More...

Today at 11:03 AM

recreationreview would like to recall the message, "Seqwater Recreation Review Update on Leslie Harrison Dam.".

Not signed by anyone and they have published the email address of everyone who established an interest in Leslie harrison dam.

Cheers

Ray

Politicians are just outright useless. They've got people willing to put in the unpaid time and effort to organise these things, and yet they have no interest in funding stocking whatsoever. If they can afford to give themselves monster pay rises they have no excuse. Old mate cantdo's recent $70,000 would be an excellent start to the stocking effort alone.

Anyone remember a promise to open up Leslie Harrison dam to public access?

Dont hold your breathe.

/>http://previous.seqwater.com.au/water-supply/asset-maintenance-construction/dam-improvement-program/leslie-harrison-dam

relevant bit extracted

Leslie Harrison Dam is one of the dams to be lowered and later upgraded. As a first step, we will lower the water level in the dam to about 40% capacity and remove the dam gates. The new water level will not affect regional water security. We expect to lower the dam beofre the end of June 2014. This will enable further assessment of the dam and the finding will inform the timing of the upgrade and the works required. The Leslie Harrison Dam upgrade is scheduled to occur within five years.

The new water level will not affect water security; however water quality modelling shows Seqwater cannot consider introducing on-water recreation at the dam while it is lowered. As a result, recreation at Leslie Harrison Dam will not be reviewed this year. Recreation opportunities will be reconsidered once the upgrade is completed and the dam is once again close to capacity.

It may be a double blackflip as they sent out a retracting email. Strange how the review ofr kurwongbah still went ahead whilst they have stopped leslie Harrison, Am I being paranoid about the Redlands Council anti public use of dam still having undue influence.

Cheers

Ray

Archived