dolphin? In North Pine Dam?

Aggro101

My 18 year old son often used to go canoeing, yabbying and swimming in npd. About a year ago, he was there at night with a friend swimming from the canoe out near the middle of the dam. After they were both back in the canoe, he spotted what he still says looked like a dolphins dorsal fin, but the body was the wrong shape is the the only way he has been able to describe it. It was within 10m of the canoe and the moon was bright. He has seen plenty of dolphins and sharks in moreton bay and the pine river to know what they look like.

My son is not easily freaked out and is very much a dare devil, but to this day he won't go swimming or canoeing there at night.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone else ever seen anything there they couldn't reasonably explain?

We have considered a bully or a dolphin, but it would mean someone putting it there or was resident up river before the dam was built. The dorsal didn't match a bully though. Dolphins have been known to live in fresh water and so far that's our most likely species, although it seems hard to believe someone would go to the effort to transport one and release it there.

Falcate dorsal ? full grown Chanos chanos feeding on cyanobacteria, maybe some larvae/fry went into the dam on a fish rescue.

Falcate dorsal is the type that is curved up and back to a point.

I guess chanos chanos is possible, but it would had to have to be a large specimen in the range of 1.5 to 2m. The dorsal certainly fits the description and it would explain the surface breach.

There are some big things in there I found a 25lb carp that had just died washed up on the bank a few years ago. People put strange things in there thinking its funny. It would not of been funny for your son if he got caught in there in his canoe.

Dino

He has been busted a couple of times by the the ranger. She told him he could go canoeing at Wivenhoe. My son being the quick witted fellow that he is said "cool, can you drive me there?". She huffed, got back in the car and drove off, lol. The second time she caught him, she just waved from her car.

Very strange. About 15 years ago next door in Lake Kurwongbah I remember being snapped off constantly in this one section of the lake when it was in one of its lower level points. Right near a drop off at an estimated 5 metres of depth fishing from the bank with worms. it would slowly pull the line down then i would strike and as soon as the rod loaded it would snap off clean with one headshake and thats with the drag backed off. That was on 15 pound line. Did it about ten times. Upgraded to 40 pound line but never had a bite after that

definitely a dolphin! after all... you do catch cobia around the Jindalee bridge area ;)

Is that like the highly sought after "pine river cobia" aka catfish? :dry:

Aggro, that's the infamous Indooroopilly bridge cobia:

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/saltwater/26893-cobia-in-the-brisbane-river#26893

hard to believe that was nearly 7 years ago now :blink:

definitely a dolphin! after all... you do catch cobia around the Jindalee bridge area ;)

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/saltwater/26893-cobia-in-the-brisbane-river#26893

that was a trip down memory lane. :lol: from that thread alone,one could start a thread titled 'where are they all now, :P

Ha ha, reading that thread was 10 minutes of my life I want back. Atrocious grammar and spelling, his longest post was just plain painful to read. I'm not saying that I don't make spelling mistakes, but for the love of god, make an effort! Kids these days :ohmy:

Maybe waccy baccy. :S

It is people who continually flaunt the rules who get areas shut out and negate the efforts of others who strive to open them up.

Ray

Definitely not waccy baccy Ray, LOL. He's too much of a fitness fanatic for that sort of thing.

In principle I agree with you regarding rules, but NPD is already shut out to the public even just for canoing unless you are a member of the club. Even then, It's only up the far end where a kid can't carry his canoe to. (we live only 15 minutes walk from the Bullocky Rest end of the dam). In my opinion, the ones who ruin things for others are those who leave their rubbish, fishing line and discarded bottles all around the banks of the dam. We see it every Sunday on our morning walk.

As a parent, I would rather he flaunted an arbitrary rule about canoing in the dam rather than see him walking around the streets at night stoned, drunk or causing a public nuisance as many other teens seem to do. What he was doing by carrying the canoe there, paddling and swimming for a couple of hours, then carrying it home again, was burning off excess teenage energy and completely harmless to the environment and the community. If you stop the good kids from doing healthy activities like that, there's a good chance you'll only end up with a bad kid.

Falcate dorsal ? full grown Chanos chanos feeding on cyanobacteria, maybe some larvae/fry went into the dam on a fish rescue.

Falcate dorsal is the type that is curved up and back to a point.

I guess chanos chanos is possible, but it would had to have to be a large specimen in the range of 1.5 to 2m. The dorsal certainly fits the description and it would explain the surface breach.

Yes know what a falcate dorsal is hence the Milkfish suggestion. Most likely candidate, larvae/fry recruit to freshwater a lot more common than people realise, in the Pines pre flood some local lakes had full sized adults................. Video that was posted on AFO not long ago

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXH0lm7EmA

". What he was doing by carrying the canoe there, paddling and swimming for a couple of hours, then carrying it home again, was burning off excess teenage energy and completely harmless to the environment and the community."

That is what the person who drowned in Kurwongbah also thought.

Correction what he and you are doing is promoting an illegal activity.

This only encourages others to do the same and the result is a complete shut down.

If the rangers get sick of requesting him to leave their next option is to call the police with the result being an appearance in the magistrates court and a subsequent criminal conviction.

Seq water and other organizations monitor different forums.

Why did you even have to mention that he was canoeing and swimming at night unless you wish to promote illegal activities/ What other illegal activities do you turn a blind eye to.

Ray

Archived