A mate would have been handy. Cape Morton report 19/12/14

Luvit

I had planned to take the from Wednesday off to beat the crowds on the bay but the weather was not great so I kept working and then saw a small opportunity yesterday morning. My target was to get my first Marlin after loosing my first marlin hook up at Hervey bay last month.

Things didn't start to well with a trailer issue which saw me return home to fix and I lost 1 hour. Launch by 5am at spinnaker sound and headed for Cape Moreton. As I was approaching the cape it was time to set the lures out. While setting the drag on my Saltiga 76 game rod to 5 kg, the rod broke at the extended butt :( It already had some marks on the butt's blank from rod holders and think over time it has taken its toll. need to save for a new one it was an awesome rod but not designed to sit in rod holders under pressure.

Finally I got the teaser and lures out and settled in for some hours of boredom. There was some bait showing on the sounder so I decided to stay in the area. A good decision as it turned out, surprisingly it was only 10 minutes before the first strike. It was no Marlin but a welcome fish all the same, my first Dolphin Fish. It was a beauty at just over 1 meter. :woohoo: I initially tried netting it (not successfully) and then remembered I had a gaff on board :S

I had seen them on TV but to see one in real life and see the brightest colors was very cool. The fish was bled and put on ice and I look forward to feed with the in-laws arriving on Sunday form Melbourne.

I reset the lures again and was pretty stoked with the fantastic start. Not long went by and the same lure get slammed again this time the splash out the back indicated I had a MARLIN on. I tried to keep calm and left the bat motoring forward to maintain tension as I cleared the lines and the teaser. After a short but spirited fight the marlin was close to the boat. Someone had warned me be very careful with these green acrobats who can in flick some nasty injuries. So when I have the video edited you will see some nervous dancing from me hoping it wasn't going to impale me as it proceeded to jump around the boat and head towards me on more than one occasion. :blush:

Finally it lost its head of steam and I had it along side the boat. It was a little tricky to say the least to fight, film, trace and drive the boat a the same time, but the sense of achieve at the end when I had its bill in my hand was magic.

I could have got home at this point totally satisfied but it was only 8am! I placed the lures out again and after watching them for a while I was starting to understand how to fine tune them based on the weather conditions. ;)

Less the 5 minutes after I set the last lure I was looking at the sounder etc for bait and the moment I took my eyes off the rods and looked at the sounder the rod loaded up and I was on again. Mind you I did not realise it for quite about 20 seconds as I studied the sounder and after the last fight I had not remembered to re engage the drag clicker so I didn't hear it. You will see this in the video :blush: , I will edit the second strike to look like the first one because I got very little footage of the second one. Learning my lesson from the first crapping of the pants I played this one out for my own safety. This is where another person on board would have cut the fight time down and also some awesome Photos/footage of it dancing around the boat would have captured. They still go a little tropo when you grab their bill and I am sporting a few scratches and bruises a reminder of yesterday's encounters. Once along side the boat with the lure removed it kicked out of my hands and fade into the deep blue. OH what a feeling.

With 1 Dolphin fish and 2 marlin landed by 9am I thought I'd try some thing different and headed out to deep tempest for some jigging. For some reason the sounder was not picking up the bottom so I did a blind jig 3 times and gave it away and made my way back at 12 knts towing a jet head in the hope of a whahoo, but not to be. I did some other little stuff and then headed for home. I felt a sense of achievement landing the fish by myself but, it is still far more exciting when you can share the experiences with someone else on board and re-live the fights and antics all the way home.

I only took the video so I'll edit it post in the coming days.

cheers

Wayne

Congratulations Wayne,that's a cracking effort to get your first Marlin and on your own as well.

What lures did you get them on?

That first fish on your own can feel quite daunting with so many things running through your head while you are playing it out.

I clearly remember my first one,it was a 120kg Striped Marlin and it was such an angry fish but I was young and stupid back then and I dragged it on board the tinny.

That fish destroyed everything in boat when it hit the deck,lol

Anyway well done mate,that's a top effort.

Hey Kel it was school day, I knew you would be busy but some time your not, for sure.

Yes Lance a few mistakes on the first one but still got it in, the second was a lot smoother.

I would not like to be in a tinny with a 120kg model, you must of been nuts when you were younger.

Those Reelax adjustable rod holders i got off you are the bees knees. Great quality and so easy to adjust to get the lures breathing.

I recommend them highly.

(Ted recommended them to me so I'm passing it forward :) )

Those Reelax Outrigger rod holders are the best things ever for trolling.

I set 7 rods in Teds boat the other day and not one tangle all day long using them.

I could have very easily set another 2 rods in the spread if I wanted to but I was to concerned about being able to get all the gear in quick enough with his boys on the boat if we hooked up to a decent fish.

As it was we hit a patch of yellowfin and hooked 7 up, every rod went off and it was mayhem for a few minutes.

That's when I was glad we didn't have 9 rods in,lol

Hi Cam

I troll between 6-8 knots depending on conditions. The main thing I found is to have the lures working properly. Meaning they break the surface every so often and create a bubble trail. Place the lures on the lower face of the pressure waves, the fish can see and hit them better than on top or the back of the wave.

For tuna and Marlin.

Archived