Pots

Wbgredcliffe

• 2 months later...

G'day guys,

I was talking to Jamie at Crab Pot Center and he was saying that they is a difference in the way a pot performs. He said that the way the funnels are set and how much tension is on the pot makes a big difference. He was also talked about the quality of the pots you get from BCF that could hinder the performance of a pot.

Everything he said made sense. If you want to have a chat to him he is always willing to help you.

Hope this helps you guys

When I was a kid we'd use any sort of crab pot we could, many were as ugly as sin and made out of three different other pots. All caught crabs, and none lasted forever.

Wire pots are stronger, sturdier and easier to get crabs out of. They're easier to clean, but take up a lot more room and will scratch your boat. Netting style crab pots collapse, are softer, and easier to fix. They generally bring more mud into you boat though, and crabs tend to tangle up in them.

As STKE said, the BCF rogue pots are great value for money. One muddie in each pot and they've paid for themselves. I've got a few of these pots, both heavy duty and the standard ones and they've caught plenty of crabs between them. I like heavier pots, especially in big tides or chasing sandies in over 6m of water.

In saying this the Rogue pots are cheap for one reason, they're 'Made in China'. Much like the Crab Pot Centre at Raceview, there's another place at Clontarf called Crab 'N Gear who specialize in crab pots and other paraphernalia. They make pots and have several different designs. Buying pots of these guys might be a little more expensive, but it's Australian made and keeping a speciality, skill and job here. And if one of these blokes had something to say, I'd probably listen.

I have 2 sets of pots a cheap set and a better set. Use the cheaper ones for leaving over night or when not in sight. Use the pop a pots from crab n gear and I stay next to them while they are in.

Just try with cheapies first and if you like it then you could upgrade if you feel the need.

I enjoy mud crabbing and so bought the more expensive ones that make it easier to move the pots to new spots and easier to bait up with a sewn in bait bag in the bottom.

• 1 month later...

don't bother buying the cheap ones from bcf,i have the 1mtr round pots from the crab pot centre , out catch the rouge pots 2 to one and out last them.i bought 2 rouge pots from bcf 3 trips ago and there on the way to the tip,had to repair them after the first trip...cannot see the value in paying 40 buck a pot at bcf when u can pay the same or less at the crab pot centre when u buy 8.another pot worth getting are the Wilson heavy duty pot they are around 40-50 bucks a pot little bit smaller at 900mm round but catch well....best tip I can tell anyone is set a pot up in the shop put it on the floor and if it rocks put it back on the shelf and leave them there...if ya pot rocks in the current it will put the crabs off going in it..

• 7 months later...

Once again here a little late :lol: but I used to go crabbing every week when I lived on the coast.

I used to prefer dillies to pots. Logic being that all a crab has to do is touch the dilly and it's trapped as opposed to working its way into the pot - great for when you have a time window to consider. Only caveat is that the dillies will become messed up from decent muddies very quickly. Good tackle shops should sell dilly repair kits, and when they become too worn you can replace the mesh.

Haha, I am clearly tired from being on the water today (and up late last night preparing). I read through this post and once finished reading Rosco's post noticed it said that I 'Like this'.  Huh - I didn't just do that??? Oh, hang on, that was back in May ........ Time for bed soon!!!

On 1/2/2016 at 5:50 PM, Albinus said:

Very true @Old Scaley. Good point. Not sure why the rules changed as from personal experience the difference between types of dillies was minimal.

Dilly mesh was responsible for lots of entanglements with turtles and other marine fauna. I know I used to get heaps of shovel noses tangled up in them, and lost heaps when they'd slip off the edge of banks and 'ghost' off with the tide. The now legal dillies sit flat on the ocean floor which is supposed to reduce entanglement I think.

I must have either been fortunate or put them in the right spots, I never, ever encountered bycatch when using dillies (and they were out every weekend for 8-9 months of the year). Can't say the same for opera house traps though (hence the recent change to legislation regarding them)

Archived