Somerset Dam Trip 19-21 October

Mark80

Hi everyone,

Just thought i would share my awesome weekend that i just had at Somerset Dam. It was truely a trip to remember.

It started early friday morning with the old man in his car and boat and myself and AFO member Lukey in my car and boat heading to the dam. With camp set up and high hopes in hand we headed out to start the weekends fishing.

We pulled up on some flats where a few bass were showing on the sounder and started. Not long after a nice 47cm bass was boated.I said to lukey that my goal for the weekend was to get a 50cm bass and it would be a pb. No more than 20 minutes later and she was on. A 50cm bass to the boat. My pb. This was followed by a nice yellowbelly of 51cm. Four more bass in the mid to high 40's followed in next couple of hours. On one of the last drifts of the day lukey got smashed. After 3 monster runs a 54cm bass was boated. It was easily the biggest i had seen.

Saturday was not as productive in numbers as friday was but by no means was it a bad day. A nice 47cm bass was boated on the same flats as friday inside the first 20 minutes. Than nothing. Went over to some rocky banks near by and got a nice yellowbelly. Bass is what we came for so we went back to the flats to try our luck again. After some persistance i got smashed and after a couple of big runs boated a 52cm bass. Anothr pb. The next fish came an hour or so later when i was smashed again. This fish had a monster first run and some hard fighting and more solid runs followed. A 55cm bass was soon boated (another pb) and some cries of joy let out.

The afternoon could only product a 46cm bass and a nice yellowbelly but who really cared. A great trip was had by all and i have a feeling that it will be talked about for some time to come. Photos will be posted by Lukey soon.

Sorry about the length but i had to tell the story.

We kept our bag limit of bass and released all others. They were real fat bass which had not been short of a feed lately thats for sure. Ate one up there and it was beautiful.

The bass and yellow's were caught on spinnerbaits (bassman 5/8 3 blade in a dark green and some kokada green and orange ones and a white one), a jackall in wakasabi colour (probably not correct spelling lol) and a squidy fish sp.

Funny trip cause the old man was doing exactly the same as us and could not catch a thing. I had to lend him my rod which had done a lot of the damage in order for him to finally land one.

Sorry Mark, but I've gotta tell em. The funniest thing that happened all trip was when Mark decided he'd try his brand new Jackall. Once he got it out of the packet, it was too hot to handle coz it had been sitting in the sun all day so he decided to dip it in the water to cool it down. When he leant over the side of the boat, one of the trebles jabbed him in the finger and he let go of the jackall. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Next thing he says to me quietly is \"I've just dropped the jackall\". And i went \"he he yeah whatever, ya kidding me right?\" And he goes \"nope\". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The first time the bloody thing ever hit water and it didn't have a line attached to it!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

At $25 a pop that's gota hurt.

Be careful not to leave TN60 Jackalls laying on a hot surface in the sun for any length of time. They will blow up out of shape and start to split and fill with water when you use them. I had a mate who bought 2 and left them on the dash of his car, 3 hrs later they were stuffed.

Cheers

Mike

thanks jimmybob, there were quite a few skiers there from late friday afternoon onwards. I thinks that why the fishing on saturday and sunday was not as good as friday. They mainly ski around the steep banks or the deep water markers which basically meant we were always comeing into contact with them!

Archived