My other project - setting up my freshwater tinnie

Feral

Alright, my other project (I am busy!) is to set up my 8 foot tinnie given to me by Ray, for freshwater use.

For those of you who went to HInze, that was her Maiden voyage. For those of you who read the reports, or were witnesses, you will know she can be a tad touchy if not loaded correctly! (Yes I sunk it).

So my target is to get it setup for fresh water use fully by November. She is usable at the moment, but I want to make her more stable, and sort out some gear. Most of the gear I used at Hinze, Motor, sounder, battery, I borrowed from Ray for the day.

You may have noticed Ray's post about the cheap motors at Kmart, well the missus is going to go in to morrow to get me one.

The boat took on a little water (apart from the sinking) whilst at Hinze, nothing risky, just enough to wet anything left in the bottom of the boat. So I will have to set her up on trestles and partially fill her to see where the pin hole leaks are. When found I will plug them with some paintable silastic. (Just in case I ever want to paint it).

I also intend to make myself up some stabilisers to go on the sides, similar to Rays Aquilisers (see Hinze photo's if you want to know what the real ones look like). I reckon I can build something similar out of 100mm stormwater pipe, and make removable mounts on the sides of the boat.

Final step will probably be to get Ray to source me a deep cycle battery(He is the Ebay king when not busy scrounging at recycleland), a sounder will have to wait a while, as the budget is currently getting a floggin! As I will be using it mainly at Baroon, I figure I dont need a sounder at the moment anyway, I know it well enough.

Hey Feral I don't understand the sign off problem regarding the elect motor! I know about the caretaker mode cause it just cost us $185k in lease fees for seabeds but what effect does it have on motors. I only ask cause I am going to do something about a aux motor for my boat.

Sorry but I can't help with the motor in the shed as I know bugger all. Have you tried their web site?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/31 07:23

should be no problems with motor as long as no corrosion with shaft which would result in seals packing it in. Most probably shaft is stainless steel and would be ok.will push the dingy ok just be a bit slower but battery would last longer and you would get away with a smaller battery + less expense and weight.

ray

Well while I was out making a mess in the yard, I decided to put an end to the small leaks in the small tinnie.

First up, bunged her on a set of saw horses (just like they were skids on a boat trailer) next to the back tap, then proceeded to bucket a few inches of water into her.

Left her for half an hour then climbed underneath and marked everywhere there was a drip, there was a lot!

Tipped her over, let her dry, then smeared silastic over every marked spot. That hopefully will keep her dry!

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-4cc5dd85f58302d61c7a5e5341ec20f5.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/09/02 18:18

post-134-144598400801_thumb.jpg

Brian, how could you suggest such a thing!

Past experience has taught me stickers dont last long as waterproofing membranes!

Also I have discovered from Sundown Marine (the mob who sold ferg the motor 10 years ago) that that model came out as either a 23 or 27 lb thrust unit, as it is the high thrust unit, I figure that makes it 27lb.

We have decided to get the 55lb unit, and possibly use the 27lb unit initially.

I am also considering mounting the unit on the front, with no rear motor. Would make it much easier for balance, as could easily sit on the front seat and reach forward to control the motor.

Much easier than trying to mount the rear motor off centre, and then balance me being off centre to operate it.

Just have to pump Ray for ideas on making the mount next time I am down at his place. (The front wood deck is rotten anyway and needs replacing, so would incorporate the mount into the rebuild).

Well re-leak rested the old girl, found a leak or two I missed, reckon might have to concentrate the silastic on the inside on the boat, moving her around on the skids obviously removes any silastic I put on!

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1030858.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/09/16 10:08

post-134-144598400898_thumb.jpg

Well knocked up the new now cover out of 19mm marine ply I had scrounged. Normally a bit heavy for this sort of use, but as it is a mount for a 55lb electric motor, thicker is better I reckon!

Double sheet of ply where the motor will mount (a bit hard to see) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/3P1030860.jpg

post-134-144598400911_thumb.jpg

Sitting in place front view.

Sides of new sheet will stick out about 20mm over the boat, as when I used it at Hinze I noticed when it was choppy a small amount of water would splash up the bow and into the boat, the overlap should stop any splashed water coming up the sides into the boat.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/4P1030861.jpg

post-134-144598400914_thumb.jpg

View from the rear of the boat.

Will wait for the silastic to set (it is held to gether with silastic and galvanised screws), then I will panel beat top of gunwales flat then screw and silastic it to the boat, probably monday arvo (got monday off to take \"she who must be obeyed\" out to lunch, to butter her up before I tell her what it is going to cost to go to Glenlyon dam for 4 days!) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/6P1030864.jpg

post-134-144598400921_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well apart from work already done, I have stuck a couple of bits of 2x1 pine in the transom to allow the electric to mount to the side, and added straps to hold down the battery. (Baroon requires batteries to be tied down), she is now finished. Oh and about 3 tubes of silastic shoved under the ribs, which has pretty much plugged all the leaks.

For those of you who read my gone fishing threads, Ferg and I have had her out on her Burpengary creek for a shake down, then Friday for a trip to Baroon Pocket for the real deal!

She goes well, (once we get a new battery!), and is quite safe even in the heavy chop on Baroon with a 15-20 knot northerly blowing, even when paddling after the battery has died!. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040246.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/29 07:23

post-134-144598402166_thumb.jpg

Battery Straps (Other end tied to front of seat)

She ran well enough with enough freeboard, that I will put the home made aqualisers on hold, dont really need them.

Also the front deck, with the ply extended an inch or so over the bow really stops the splashing coming over the bow very well. On Baroon with the chop, I was getting wetter in the back of the boat than Ferg was in the front! (Splashing from the sides)

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1040247.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/29 07:30

post-134-144598402169_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from Ray, he has picked up some small (42ah) good quality deep cycle batteries in smicko condition on Ebay, $50 each.

He was good enough to allow me to pay for 2 of them for my little tinnie,

A quick run through with \"Ferals rough as guts Electric Boat Motor Calcs\"

http://web.aanet.com.au/askenne/executables/EMC.zip

tells me they should be good for 2.5 hours regular fishing and capable of 5kph using my 55lb motor, or 3.5 hours and 4kph using Fergs 28lb motor.

With the two small batteries I can better regulate my fishing time, heading for home when the first one drops away in voltage.

• 3 weeks later...

OK as noted in the fishing reports, the boat performed well with the batteries, but with my big bum in the back, and Ferg in the front (he is scrawny and underfed!) it sits a bit low for my liking in the back of the boat. So I really need to get the 30kilo's of batteries closer to the front of the boat. They currently mount just behind the forward seat. I need to get them the other side of the seat, a move of about 18 inches closer to the front. (Does not sound like much, but trust me in a 2.4m boat it is enough!)

However there is a strut across the floor just in front of the forward seat, so I have to build a false floor for the batteries to sit on, may as well make it big enough to cover the entire front well, and give us a dry spot for putting bags etc. The hull still weeps some water, not enough that it needs (or you could) bail it out, but enough to just dampen the bottom of bags etc. About 3 or 4 cupfuls for half a days fishing.

The old girl is sure coming up nice mate. I guess a couple of cupfulls of water isn't too bad. But it would still be irritating so you would just have to be smart about storage to keep stuff dry. When I'm canoeing (which is definately not a dry sport, particulary if you have the paddle), I find I end up dripping a fair bit of water in so to keep my bag dry I prop it up on a little wooden bench. A \"bag bench\" won't stop your water coming in, buts its an easy way to keep things dry:)

I'm still humming and harring over my proposed tinny project, but currently I'm thinking of getting started mid next year, crack my teeth on a bit of bass fishing in Big W, then set it up for BRC 2007B)

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the false floor in, got the batteries mounted in front of the seat, with the cushion seat mounting over the top of them (see photo if your confused by that!)

Have done all the wiring for the electricals, just got to build the box to mount the switch and meter in. Ray got me 8 \"anderson plugs\" off Ebay for $45, they are roughly $20 each if you buy them retail!

Looked around for a panel volt meter, anything available was for microvoltage applications, or analog gauges which are to coarse for my needs. So got a $11 Dick Smith multimeter which I have hard wired into the circuit, and will mount onto the switch panel.

Photo's follow.

Floor and Batteries in place. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/batteries_and_floor_in_place.jpg

post-134-144598403328_thumb.jpg

Switch bottom view.

Note bolt holding negative terminals together will be a bolt mounted internally within the box I build to house the switch and gauge.

You will also notice the multimeter leads hardwired in. One advantage of buying a cheap gauge was that the leads are permenantly mounted to the side of the gauge, spot on for my application, a dearer gauge would have had removable top plug in leads!

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/switch_bottom_view.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/10 12:28

post-134-144598403338_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dunno what to do with the old girl. The big boat is such a success I will probably never use her seriously again for fresh water.

I reckon I have 2 options

1. Sell her (she is worth bugger all, she has had a hiding in life)

2. Keep her in the back shed for a couple of years in case my kids might want to use her

what do people reckon?

Archived