Seq Suburbs Of Origin - Round 1 - May 20-22

The Mad Hughesy

Well folks, with under a week to go until Round 1 of the inaugural SEQ SUBURBS OF ORIGIN, it's time to start planning your fishing trips etc and get ready to crush the opposition!

Remember folks, this is a just for fun and bragging rights comp, no money, no physical prizes, just the glory of winning! The teams as it stands now are as follows...let me know if you are not on the list but want to fish

TEAM NORTHSIDE  @christophagus@samsteele115@bersim@Doyley@STKE@basshunter1987@Dinodadog@timtam_@Binder

TEAM SOUTHSIDE @Angus@kmcrosby78@ellicat@Old Scaley@lanks@tugger@K-Lub@Damien2Rad@Do$tylz@benno573@rayke1938

To summarise the comp... 5 target species; Bream, Bass, Flathead, Snapper and Tailor. For a team to win the round, they must hold at least the biggest 3 out of the 5 species. To submit an entry, simply post a crystal clear photo of the fish you caught on a brag mat with the unique item (to be advised on Thursday night) with the size of the fish clearly visible! Please note, legal fish only will be accepted! All submissions must be posted in this topic by 7pm on Sunday night Happy Fishing and tight lines

Unique item is a square. You can write the word square or draw a square, either way is fine as long as it is in the photo of the fish on the brag mat or measuring device. Hope to see some entries tomorrow folks so get out there and get amongst it!

To Freshen up on the rules, visit the previous topic here..

BREAM - Team Southside  @lanks 38cm

BASS - Team Northside @basshunter1987 51cm

FLATHEAD -Team Northside 53cm @STKE

SNAPPER - Team Southside 45cm @kmcrosby78

TAILOR - Team Southside 41cm @kmcrosby78

6 hours ago, ellicat said:

Can we change it to this weekend ?....my opportunity has come a week early. :2_grimacing:

Hopefully a good report anyway. :fishing:

Just photoshop the unique item onto any photos of good fish you catch this weekend Brian - just don't let the enemy know what you've done though ..... What you chasing?

Quick question - are we only submitting legal length fish? I caught a few squire on Sunday but could not get a keeper. If the weather stays as predicted fishing options may be a bit limited and legal fish might be harder to find. 

Man there was a lot of bait fish around. It was that thick that you could feel them hitting the braid most of the time.  Lots of bream too, but only on the very bottom of the tide and I couldn't get a touch on plastics.  Unweighted fresh mullet fillet was the go. Saw heaps of bust ups (tailor) and did spend an hour or so chasing a tuna schools around the mouth of the river with no hits.  Great day on the water though. I hope it improves for the weekend.

54 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Quick question - are we only submitting legal length fish? I caught a few squire on Sunday but could not get a keeper. If the weather stays as predicted fishing options may be a bit limited and legal fish might be harder to find. 

Man there was a lot of bait fish around. It was that thick that you could feel them hitting the braid most of the time.  Lots of bream too, but only on the very bottom of the tide and I couldn't get a touch on plastics.  Unweighted fresh mullet fillet was the go. Saw heaps of bust ups (tailor) and did spend an hour or so chasing a tuna schools around the mouth of the river with no hits.  Great day on the water though. I hope it improves for the weekend.

fingers crossed the weather smooths out a bit...for us kayak fishermen the wind really makes or breaks a trip!

to just avoid any controversy or potential complaints, legal fish only. thanks for bringing it up @Old Scaley ill make a note of that on the rules above 

13 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Lots of bream too, but only on the very bottom of the tide and I couldn't get a touch on plastics.  Unweighted fresh mullet fillet was the go.

Steady on Steve, don't give them too much info ... Instead, put up some false info and then PM our team with the correct stuff .. :devil:

7 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Looks like the forecast is improving. Go the southsiders!

Was too knackered tonight so will be going tomorrow night - really wanted one session at river mouth and one at Green so probably just river mouth now and hope to come across a decent squire and/or tailor. Will let you know how I get on Steve - when are you heading out?

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Was too knackered tonight so will be going tomorrow night - really wanted one session at river mouth and one at Green so probably just river mouth now and hope to come across a decent squire and/or tailor. Will let you know how I get on Steve - when are you heading out?

At least you got to see a great game of football.  Heading out now, Kelvin. Looking for squire on the top of the tide and flathead on the run out. Good luck tonight!

Put in at 5am this morning so I still had enough time to pump yabbies.

Target was the Flathead and tailor. The bream would be pretty hard to beat.

No tailor but did crack a 53cm Flatty 

20160521_055932 (Medium).jpg

Beautiful sunrise. 

20160521_063732 (Medium).jpg

Wind picked up around 10ish after the tide turned. Bailed out then.

Sorry Southside but I can't add to the tally.:no:. Slept in a bit and got on the water around 8 after stopping in to the fish shop to get some frames for the pots and a couple of mullet fillets for fresh bait. Plan was to stick close to home because of the wind and target squire on the top of the tide and flatties on the run out. Nothing for the first hour and a half then 3 quick squire with the biggest only 33 cm.. All caught on small curly tails. They were fat though so it might end up a good season. A couple of soul as well.   Even the pots let me down today with only 1 keeper sandy.

Did end up with some nice cod for dinner, but only because I stopped in at the fish shop on the way home.:P

That will be it for me this weekend.  Good luck to everyone for the rest of the weekend.

Nice work, Kelvin!   Good on you for braving the cool night air while most of us were in a nice warm lounge room drinking red wine and watching football.  Hopefully the judges will overlook the geometric confusion of your symbol, with a line inside a rectangle inside a circle.  I should have lent you my specially selected colour picture of spongebob square pants that never had the opportunity to make an appearance.

You have set the mighty Southside up for a victory. Let's see the northsiders' response today.

Archived