rayke1938 wrote:

Update

What we have so far.

Ray k Boat

Graham P

Andrew ( And Alex?)Silver bullet

Ferg

Lee yak

Faulked and Sandy and child In double bedroom Boat?

Brian Dawson cruisecraft, cannonball and yak.

Ash Barra rat.

Ashes mate on a blow up bed.

Any more may have to be camp stretchers.

Cheers

Ray

Time for firm numbers. I have paid full ammount several months ago.

Graham Pflaumb is out for health reasons.

At this stage I am also doubtfull as wife has to have shoulder op and will be laid up for 6 weeks after. I should know for certain on next tuesday.

Feral and Ferg are definates

Lee ???

Brian D ??

Faulked ??

Ash and Mate ??

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

Normal car ok for launching. Rent for 9 days is $1360 for 6 adults plus $10 per day for extras so if 9 people stay for full period total will be $1630 or $181 each or $20 per day. If only 6 people cost is $226 or $25 per day.Children are not counted they are free.

Merry

Xmas

Ray

I will pay my share even if I cannot go.

Cheers

Ray

OK I found it - yaeh baby I'm coming but can't get there until 25th Nov, late about 3pm, just in time for the arvo session. I'll stay till 1/12 or till they kick me out.

I'll bring the Cruise Craft and a Yak. 6 rods, boxes of lures, food, beer, pillow, bug spray, my own cloths and the empty bottle of scotch that I gotta give back to Graham.

Do you want some $$$ now? PM me if you do

yahoooooooooooooooo Bugger, I just wet my chair:blush: A little exicted I am. Barra time is not far away. When is full moon?

sandie and bella have both turned their noses up something about smelly blokes and to much fishing:P . so hopefully i can get a lift up with brian d on his trip if that helps with accomodation for you fellas im not sure

if this is putting you out of pocket ray let me know and i will sort it out immediately.

when i talk to brian i can let you know what sort of accom he and i will need

jason:)

OK I am in all the way, the Board meetnig can carry on without me but I have to be back for the half yearly members fiancial report 1/12. The normal finance meetnig is wed 19/11, so if I work till midnight thursday 20/11 on the minutes and the final draft of the half yearly I should be able to leave Friday after peak hour, say 9.00am to be at Gin Gin by about 3.30pm allowing for cruise mode and stops.

I might have to leave to return home a day early, this will depend on last minute changes to reports.

So Jayson if you still want the deckie spot lets lock it in Friday 21/11 to Sunday 30/11. I will most likely need to leave am Sunday after our last fish. Mate all you need is some $$$ for petrol for car and boat, maybe $200 and whatever the accomadation & food costs are.

Jayson - no need to buy any lures you don't want to because I have plently left over from last year, but of course I'll use all the ones that catch fish:woohoo: I also have some spare 50lb & 60lb braid that I won't use and I'll pick up some more 50lb fluro.

I like to take 2 rods for casting, 1 for casting off the bank and 2 for trolling so I don't have to keep changing set up, so you will only need your casting weapons. I suggest one with 10-20lb and one with 30-50lb but that's your call.

This dam is heavily timbered and we will head up into it so I'll also make up some twisted leaders which I tie on with bimini twists.

I'll bring the small yak so we can easily stick it in the boat or tow it behind.

Ray, how much you need for the cabin?

now im very excited im just working on sandie:P on the loose me for 9 days thing ill have it sorted one way or another by tomorow nightB) if nothing else i may have to catch a train home early hopefully:( ill be right :)

im not sure if i have the heavy casting tackle ill have a 10lb and a 20lb but thats all i have

Just a reminder re the barra seminar in case you missed it.

Cheers

Ray

Dear Anglers on Wednesday the 22 of october we are holding a free seminar on barramundi fishing main speakers will be Jason Ehrlick and Matt Frazer with other industry experts doing short talks on rod selction reel technolgies and lures theres a BBQ on at 5.30 and talks start at 6.00pm . Of course ther’s the normal lucky door prizes and super specials on the night . please phone 3287 4888 or email andrew@loganrivermarine.com.au to reserve your seat as there is limited space.

Cheers Andrew orley

Tackle Manager

any one have any tips etc on chasing these fellers as i have no idea what im doing

"the missus reacons whats new lol" so what style lures and hooks to use line classes rod sizes reel sizes you know all the stuff a no knoledge person will need or links to this sort of info would be very appreciated..

Faulked, I am by no means a barra catching machine, but I've caught a few, and been on a few of these trips and watched the others catch 1m plus barra!

My hardware for this trip consists of 20 to 30lb braid, 20 to 40lb leader, 6 foot (or slightly under) rods in the 4 to 8 kilo class. Most of us use baitcasters, but spinning reels are just as good.

Having said that Ferg just uses the same gear he uses for bass, except with (I think 20lb) braid and 20lb platypus mono leader for barra. He quite successfully caught a 1m plus barra on our first trip with that gear, without to much trouble.

If you casting lots, lures 80 to 150mm. Range of depths from surface to 8m deep. If your mostly trolling, say from 2m deeper. (Casting may be poppers or over weed beds only a foot or two below the surface, in water 3 to 6 foot deep in places).

If your deckying for Brian, the reels he said he could lend you would be fine (you might get a bit tired after a few days casting the heavy braid and big reels)If you cant scrounge a couple of rods in the 4 to 8 kilo class I have a few composite glass ones (a little heavier to cast with than than graphite, but quite usable, and of course perfect for trolling) I would be happy to lend you. I've no doubt we can come up with some other gear to lend ya as well if need it. (Not like I dont have a spare lure or two!)

For lures, its always a good idea if you can allow in your budget to pick up one or two at Foxies on the way through Gin Gin, they will tell you what is currently catching fish at the dam. (and happily sell you one or two of them!). There prices are reasonable, advice good. They also will give you a map of the dam with the current hot spots marked.

For any of my lures that the original trebles looked a bit weak on, I've upgraded them to VMC 2x no 2's. I have used 40kilo split rings in the past, but these days I just use Halco no3 split rings, they are good for 60odd kilos as they are (they have an extra turn of wire)

Look up some of the previous threads for Awoonga trips, there was some good advice in there, like on changing hooks etc in there. EG from memory - on a 150mm lure with 3 treble mounts, if your putting on heavier trebles, you can go 1 size bigger hook, but leave the middle treble off to maintain a similar weight)

Here is how to do it

Jas - note the rods in back ground.

The one on the left is a 7' Ugly with a black sheep loaded with 50lb.

The one on the right was a $69 special from amart loaded with 50lb set up for trolling.

The one in the middle is a Diawa procast - med heavy 6'6" and I had not set up yet because I picked this fella up on the other troll rod within 5 mins going accross the bay(unseen)

Yeap I'm keen

[img size=466]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/awoonga_3-4c9476f478f758d37d2bb83a3eb59eee.JPG

post-118-144598475495_thumb.jpg

Hahahah Yeap that's about it. Smoking or busted. Bending or snapping. Mind you I have never snaps a rod on a barra, they don't fight like that.

Mate when your deckie with me you only need 2 set ups.

1 for tight accurate casting in spots with heavy timber and not much back swing, and another when we are in the open bays throwing as far as you can along the weed beds and shore line.

Just make em so you can throw heavy lures, large spinnerbaits and light surface frogs and poppers.

Thick head = good fisherman! :woohoo:

For Monduran you need HEAVY gear for the timber if you are only using 20 or 30 lb braid and leader expect numerous bust ups in the timber. lighter gear is ok if you only intend to troll the basin but if you want to get into the exciting stuff go heavy or expect bust ups.

That is what everyone has told me.

Cheers

Ray

I've sent off my order to Mo Tackle to round out my lure needs for Monduran. Trying something a little different this year, hopefully I'll be showing the barra some lures they dont see to often. I'll also take only the gear I will definitely use, so I dont spend all my time swapping gear around instead of fishing.

So I've decided to limit myself to 3 trays of lures (well maybe some additional spinners;) ), 2 rods and 3 reels (just in case I get spooled or kill a reel).

I am going to leave all my under 80mm lures at home. Persistence means keep on trying for Barra, otherwise if I have bass lures with me I'll regress if the barra are quiet!

Archived