Monduran 2008

rayke1938

Thanks Kriso good info even if we have heard it before.

I expect Ray will be bringing his secret vacume packing machine and deep freezer. Three choices for teh fish once they come aboard.

1. Play nice and live.

2. Play mean and get filleted, vacume packed and frozen

3. Play hard ball and get BBQ'd.

I'll only ever have 1 fish in my pocession.

About the wall - that's why we changed our timing. When booking last year we tried to time it fo rthe Nov / Dec run down stream. The wall will have about 30 boats on it but you can only take so much trolling.

Good point about the running creek, rain has been good and so I expect to be able to get right up into good water run off spots where I will use very big surface and shallow lures. But these spots are at least an hour up river away from the wall.

Feral - I can't go early. I have a meeting Wed night and I need to finish the half yearly figures before I go. I bet they change things Wed night so I will need to amend on Thursday. Friday is it. I'll be at your place early Friday Jason, I mean early about 2am. :woohoo:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boys, I fished Mondy hard for 4 days last week end and heres my impressions.

The dam is full of algae, making the water a pea soup colour, cleaner water is in the end of the south leg of B arm, or right up the back of H if you like to travel.

Its a tuff bite at the moment, but the fish are still there, I dropped a total of 6 fish thru various ways and means, missed a couple more, and only matted the one at 98cm.

The fish are /were holding off the points, so try throwing B52's or shallow Arafuras, and in the sticks try suspending HB's slowly twitched, moded Gaddens Classics are good.

Softies are worth a go, the hollow bellies live up to their hype in regards to action on a slow roll, but so far Ive only managed a catty on them.

My mate worked the basin one arvo trolling, and reports no big girls showing there yet, this was confirmed by Jackie at Foxies Barra Havoc store in Gin Gin.

Be persistant, if an area likes fishy, or has bait showing on the sounder, or pelicans actively feeding, tie off and work the spot. Fish the early morns and sun down periods, even in a tuff bite period, these are still feeding times.

Best of luck, Im heading up next week end for another go

cheers

brian

Ta for the update Br65

Faulked, dont trust him, have the bag and kit packed early!

Jason, this is I think our 5th or 6th AFO barra trip, we've done Awoonga two or three times, (including side trips to Callide and Monduran) Lenthalls 3 or four times, this is our first Monduran targeted trip.

Thanks Bri65, please post again after next visit.

Jayson - yeah it's a yearly thing for me, I'll be booking again during or just after this trip. I am thinking further north but not sure yet.

Seeing today is my last chance to pack (working the next 12 straight) I thought I better do the estientals.

3 for trolling in the boat

1 for trollong in the yak

2 for casting divers from the boat

1 for casting from the yak

1 for casting big poppers from the shore

1 for bass

plus a few lures & plastics with some leaders,back up line and other bits and pieces [img size=374]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PB090011_AFO.jpg

post-118-1445984775_thumb.jpg

post-118-144598477928_thumb.jpg

A mate sent me a great message that's worth sharing

Hey, I watched a fishing doco on Monduran barra and though I would share some of the tips with u!

Threadline reels are the go anything that can handle 30lbs braid, keep leaders short around 60cms, use shallow running lures in the morning and arvo around the timbers, fit large single hooks to lures for better hook ups and less snags lures around 5inches in length do the trick.

Free spool ya reel if snagged untangle and continue the chase with electic outboard this can happen several times before landing the big suckers! barra sunbake morning and arvo around the timber so stop the boat atleast a couple of hundred meters before the spot u wish to fish and motor on in under electric.

Most important and cant be stressed enough BE STELTHY!

The barra have been flogged over the years and are very sensitive to foreign noise so no bagging into the timber Brian! Even the bow wave of ya boat on glassed out conditions can spook them! so go quietly and carefully using long casts well ahead of the boat. 2 barra 108cms each were caught using this info.

Hope this info can be used!

cheers

Are you sure Faulked will fit in your boat Brian ;)

As mentioned earlier I am going minimalist this year, only taking Barra gear, and only what I reckon I might actually use!.

2 casting rods (graphite), right handing curado and left handed scorpion - both with 30lb spiderwire braid.

2 trolling rods (composites), DAM with 30lb braid. Cant find the spare spool for my pflueger with the 20lb braid on it, so its still in the cupboard for the moment (with the 12lb mono spool on it).

Rubber landing net,

Lures,

20 and 40lb spools of leader (20lb trolling, 40lb casting),

headlamp and knife sharpener.

Pb090004.jpg

Buzz baits,

spare skirts,

stinger hooks, (on cardboard)

1500mm cutting board,

Soft Plastics.

spinner baits,

Truth mat,

Pb090005.jpg

Close up of hard bodies, about 100 nothing smaller than 80mm.

Pb090006.jpg

The nets mainly for donging blokes who keep leaning out of cruise crafts waving big Barra under my nose ;)

Its wide enough, 600x500, dunno how much it will stretch with a big fish in it though, its only about 2 foot deep. Being rubber I am hoping it will stretch another foot at least! Its heavier than an environet, but much easier to move through the water.

Bugga . I checked for tournaments when we booked abd dates had not been set then so that was always the risk I took.

I have just been looking at Foxies barra Havoc website and he has a few specials going.

Does anyone want some horny toads $38 for a packet of 30 plus a free packet of hooks. Freight is around $10 no matter how many packets I by. Let me know and I will place order tomorrow and you can fix me up when I see you.

Cheers

Ray.

Product Information

A GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT AND SAVE OF OVER $30 The Zoom Horny Toad Pack contains 30 Horny Toads plus 4 Zoom rigging hooks all in a Utility Box .That works out you get three packets of Horny Toads, a tackle box and hooks for FREE [LIMITED STOCK, ONLINE SPECIAL ONLY]

Be the first to review this product!

Price: $69.95 $39.00

Brian D wrote:

STU wrote:
The weekend we are there and the last weekend you guys are there the ABT barra comp is on so it will be packed at the ramps they fish from 4am to 11am I think

4-11 bloody softies - We fish like men from 2am to 1pm & 4pm - 8pm.

7 more working days

I was understanding that "we fish like men" when you said 2am-1pm.

Then you said only 4-8? What's going on Brian? :P :P

Na I think that's a lot more hours than Lee or I put in at Awoonga last year.

Have fun at Monduran boys. I'm sure we'll be enjoynig Awoonga :)

Archived