A Day Out With The Dentist

Old Scaley

So I had a call from a mate yesterday. Unfortunately he had succumbed to a severe bout of industrial diarrhoea, and as we all know, the only cure for that is a day on the water chasing fish and crabs.  As luck would have it, I was planning to take advantage of an all too rare (at the moment) break in the wind to do exactly that. 

Let’s call him the dentist, not because he is one, nor because he is always looking down in the mouth, but because he can’t show his face on the World Wide Web whilst undergoing this highly confidential treatment. The dentist has a few favourite spots down the Pin area so we head there with a yabbie pump, assorted rods, plastics, hard bodies, 8 crab pots, a bag of chicken frames, and high hopes for a successful recovery. We launch at 5.30 am and head to spot A to try for some flathead in a small drain on the low tide. The dentist was confident but the fish didn’t play the game so off we went to drop the pots in known mudcrab territory. 

Pots successfully deployed, we headed to the yabbie bank to gather our bait. Heaps of yabbies with a bucketful in no time. Then it was off to spot B to try for whiting. Not there long and the dentist nails a nice fat whiting of around 32cm.  It was quiet on my side for a bit, but once I pulled in a small ray we knew it would be ok because @ellicat has this crazy theory that you won’t have a good whiting session until you land a ray. We landed a few more whiting which were all good size (biggest was a donkey at 36cm) before that spot went quiet and we headed to spot D which the dentist assured me was good for whiting, grunter and more rays. His prediction was correct and we ended up with 3 legal spotted grunter, a few more jumbo whiting and a shedload of small rays. 

The dentist saw a bull shark jump and next minute he was onto a good fish. We speculated about the odds of catching a bully on yabbies but dismissed that theory as the battle continued on light line. Eventually a juvenile GT popped up which was soon bled and tossed in the esky with the rest of the catch. Things went quiet on the tide change so we pulled the anchor and went to pick up the pots. Not a single crab in any pot which was both disappointing and surprising, but we couldn’t complain after a good session like we had just had.  

The dentist was well on the way to a full recovery by the time we pulled the boat out of the water at high noon.  It was a good morning on the water with the final tally of 9 good whiting, 3 spotted grunter, one lonely bream (gut hooked) and a 42cm trevally.  The dentist donated his share of the catch (all the good ones) to me, which has made Mrs Scaley very happy, but not as happy as if I had come home with muddies. Here is another of my woeful photos of dead fish. Thanks for reading.

6E7EBC08-C502-40F3-AE1D-B53635194657.jpeg

28 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great work skipper, although sounds like your deckie new his way around the Pin well. Given @benno573's substantial knowledge of the pin also, perhaps you should take both of them out one day and have a 'fish-off' ......... 🙂 

Could only go better than our one disaster trip down there. 

And I don’t know how i’d go fishing with the dentist. I haven’t been for about 6 years so I don’t know that it would work.

Archived