The Pine Fishing (prawning Report)

Poddymullet

Hi all,

Been a while since I wrote anything beyond quick replies here and there. What you get for the start of the year and being to flat out already...

BUT ... I have spent a fair amount of hours on the new old boat (thanks @Luvit for the advice on the Scout). Have to say I am still totally in love with this boat...took me 3 to get there but I am now. 

I know my decision to get an open bay FG boat was the right one for me now. I've been across the bay, cockle banks, north artificial and more recently spent a couple of outings in The Pine - trying to pick up the skin of soft plastic flatty fishing and checking possies out for Jews. But more importantly I've now had 2 sessions cast netting for prawns and I have to say if you haven't caught your own prawns before you have to give it a crack. I watched a stack of YouTube videos and still was pretty **** on a 8ft nylon but got a feed, second outing I started using a 10ft top pocket and upped my game. I can see how / why this is so addictive. Coming from down south where you can't use a cast net and spend hours wading through the run out on a full moon with a hand net .... well that is just shite. 

I've had a couple of comments about using the Scout for pawning but I just laughed and said I don't wear boat shoes so it is all good to get dirty and then just wash it out. 

Heading out this Saturday / Sunday to the reefs in the morning. Will post some photos and a report! 

Here are some recent photos over the last couple of months

Tight lines all!  

IMG_4419.jpeg

IMG_4431.jpeg

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4186.jpeg

So good Poddy. 

They are such a versatile boat you can do just about anything if you pick your weather. 

I use to head to the Pine before work and drop 4 crab pots in, then prawn in the same area. Came home a few times with a legal muddy and few kgs of prawns.  Brilliant to live in QLD. 

14 hours ago, Luvit said:

So good Poddy. 

They are such a versatile boat you can do just about anything if you pick your weather. 

I use to head to the Pine before work and drop 4 crab pots in, then prawn in the same area. Came home a few times with a legal muddy and few kgs of prawns.  Brilliant to live in QLD. 

you read my mind @Luvit got 4 of them ready to go...I hear you don't want to leave them in overnight? Tomorrow is looking mint on the bay...

I never left my pots when crabbing and never had one stolen. At $65 ach l think l paid l wasn’t taking any chances. Of course you can leave them overnight but l found that if the crabs are on. 1-2 hours was enough time for them to find their way into the pot. Remove them and reset the pot. If serious l would crab right through the night till morning. 

4 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice one mate. Where did you catch the red? 

I have done a few sessions in the pine for prawns @Luvit showed me the ropes one time. Great fun.

I have done quite a few more southside and keen to do Nudge Beach this year. 

Glad you are loving the Scout. buy quality and never look back. Well done. 

We should do a prawning trip together once they start running @Drop Bear

14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

This weekend is out sorry mate - mother-in-laws birthday and also hoping to go to www.bayexpo.com.au to suss out camper trailers. You guys go out and put in the hard yards and find them, and then I'll go next time ........ :whistle::frantics:

They are still a bit slow southside so I am not in a hurry. I hope they will come on and be thick as. 

I want to bag out in one throw. That's not too much to ask is it? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/02/2019 at 5:35 PM, Poddymullet said:

Hi all,

Been a while since I wrote anything beyond quick replies here and there. What you get for the start of the year and being to flat out already...

BUT ... I have spent a fair amount of hours on the new old boat (thanks @Luvit for the advice on the Scout). Have to say I am still totally in love with this boat...took me 3 to get there but I am now. 

I know my decision to get an open bay FG boat was the right one for me now. I've been across the bay, cockle banks, north artificial and more recently spent a couple of outings in The Pine - trying to pick up the skin of soft plastic flatty fishing and checking possies out for Jews. But more importantly I've now had 2 sessions cast netting for prawns and I have to say if you haven't caught your own prawns before you have to give it a crack. I watched a stack of YouTube videos and still was pretty **** on a 8ft nylon but got a feed, second outing I started using a 10ft top pocket and upped my game. I can see how / why this is so addictive. Coming from down south where you can't use a cast net and spend hours wading through the run out on a full moon with a hand net .... well that is just shite. 

I've had a couple of comments about using the Scout for pawning but I just laughed and said I don't wear boat shoes so it is all good to get dirty and then just wash it out. 

Heading out this Saturday / Sunday to the reefs in the morning. Will post some photos and a report! 

Here are some recent photos over the last couple of months

Tight lines all!  

IMG_4419.jpeg

IMG_4431.jpeg

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4186.jpeg

@Poddymullet what is the boat you have? I have a Haines 470SF Cuddy cabin and am looking at swapping it for centre console or selling it and getting a centre console. Something easier to handle on my own as the boat weighs a fair bit...

@natang Scout 175SF....I've been through a couple of boats in the last couple of years...started with Stessco Breezaway 452 which was great but just a bit small for the northern bay and offshore, though I would be better of in a Cuddy Cab Horizon Scorpion but it just didn't handle the chop well and cabin is like a big sail so even though it had wide chines you'd rock back and forth in the wind not to mention when you were underway a cross wind could really make your day horrible with a lean. So I still wanted the cabin for the kids and took the plunge and bought a FG 5.8m Lewis WR Cuddy Cab. Boat was great with a Suzie DF140 on the back but it was just too big for me to be able to handle on my own all the time. I always wanted an open boat and was going down the TopEnder route or Haines 485SF but BrisbaneYamaha just took delivery of the Scout at the same time and I fell in love instantly. The build quality is just awesome...the ride is always fantastic for the bay ... although it doesn't love quartering in a decent chop...well it does but you just cope a fair bit of water which his fine by me. 

I love the CC...you do lose a bit room compared to a SC but I don't think anything is better than standing up in them centre of your boat when you are underway. I've got a shoddy back and love it! 

Good luck on the hunt....take a look at the 485SF ... it is side console but great boat, the other quality FG I would look at is the Sportsman that Northside Marine stock if you are after a US boat. Otherwise the usual suspects are all good. 

Archived