Pottsville Family Fun

kmcrosby78

Belated report from our trip to Pottsville over the middle weekend of the holidays just gone. Was our first trip with our new (to us) Trackabout Safari camper trailer - worked really well and we love it. Had a bit of rain and found there's one small section of the zip seam about the entrance that leaks slightly so we'll sort that out with some water proof spray. 

It was our first time there and we loved it, will definitely be back. Our camp spot was right on the water so was perfect for the boys to go and explore - and me once I'd had my coffee .....      On the first arvo I walked over the bridge and saw a HUGE school of sea mullet going under the bridge. I reckon there could have been in excess of 1000 fish flow through under the bridge. They were milling around here and there for the rest of our stay - they certainly knew you weren't allowed to throw a castnet at them .....  

The boys gathered up some fish frames from the beach on the first arvo which included a very, very solid 43cm bream, so hopes were high but we couldn't manage any legal bream, surprisingly. I got a 37cm whiting that I sight cast to right up in the shallows - a very rewarding capture. Quite a skinny fish though unfortunately. Also got a 50cm flattie on a hard bodied lure and my wife got a decent dart off the beach down at Black Rock - we did an arvo session with my wife chasing dart with pippies whilst I threw out a pillie in hopes of some tailor but no luck. I went back the next morning but no luck again - packed the lighter set up with plans to chase dart insted there were no tailor around but forgot the bucket of leftover yabbies and couldn't find any pippies to use pieces of pillie for one hookup which dropped off and apart from that a few bites but hard to hook up to.

We also saw some very active whales breaching when we went for a walk on the beach - very cool!  I enjoyed watching the locals fishing for mullet with their quill floats and dough, always good to see a different technique that you don't use yourself.  Oh and for anyone going there, there are yabbies on both sides of the creek and I heard on the day we left that there is a much more plentiful yabby bank just past the second bridge (opposite Black Rock).
650700367_Pottsvilleherewecome!.jpg.f9f826b4bcfc73fc085dad059b455528.jpg1705403814_Pottsville43cmbreamframe.jpg.ae86c0952cc4ab142bc08054215ce555.jpg2018255702_Pottsvilleflathead.jpg.5b97fdc3924dc85934f07e75ac27e415.jpg685293802_PottsvilleKelvins50cmflathead.thumb.jpg.b7d4b962a35adec56e20668e067fb6c5.jpg

Fantastic mate. I love that creek. I have caught stacks of mullet in there with small hook and bread. No float or sinker needed but we were only catching the smaller yellow eared ones. 

Great to see the kids getting amongst it. 

My parents go there quite a few weeks per year and its always great to get there. One of the best caravan park going IMHO. 

I hope you released the Bream after you got the photo of it on the ruler?.... haha