Favourites

Andrew_P

1 hour ago, Junky said:

I'm sure they do too. 

It's just that I am not up to speed on these rods at all. I have zero experience. 

The ones I see in shops looked real heavy compared to what I see being used on the vids. 

I see the vloggers using rods with a nice soft tip, then load up like they're pulling in a 15kg red. 

I gotta get me one of these rods to try out. 

Yep, I have heard of the nomad issues. I also didn't like their reversed reel seat.  Nice looking rods though. The saltiga however felt the best when loaded up. 

sounds like they are using slow pitch jig rods. These are thin diameter, heavily reinforced rods between 6 and 7ft with a parabolic (slow) action.  These are designed to work lures of specific weights using lines of specific ratings.  Some people use these for bait fishing and they are sensitive but parabolic rods aren’t the best for fighting fish. I’ve built a couple for friends using a range of blanks depending upon their needs.

Some of the questions I would ask before building would be:

Where are you fishing and what species are you targeting?

what lb / PE line?

What jigs/rigs will you be using?

what depth will you be fishing in?

and go from there  

If you want to go off the shelf, My advice would be to take your reel into Jones’s (Northside) or tackle warehouse (southside) and ask the dudes to give you a range of rods to put your reel on, thread the line thru and bend them. See what balances well and feels good (grip length/design etc) then you should have a good idea what you want. 

there’s plenty of info out there the east coast American dudes are fully into it. 

Thank you for sharing @Andrew_P. 

Unfortunately we are currently having a power outage, expected to finish at around 3 this afternoon. Kind of difficult to set up for photos in the dark, internet is also down, so once power is back on I will photo and post my favourites, both old and relatively new, plus my wife Margies favourites.

Finally back ....
I will start my list of favorites with my old Snyderglas M1 with my ABU Cardinal 52, which I have given a spruce up on the guides, as we are giving it to our grandson, Cooper.
One of my most memorable catches was off Balls Pyramid when fishing from Lord Howe Island in 1983, where I caught two x 4kg Kingfish on my M1 using Platypus 1kg Pretest.
I have respooled with 6lb line for Cooper.

SnyderGlas M1 001 Cooper.JPG

SnyderGlas M1 002 Cooper Reel.JPG

SnyderGlas M1 003 Cooper.JPG

SnyderGlas M1 004 Cooper Line.JPG

SnyderGlas M1 004 Cooper Original Line.JPG

That same trip Inspired me to build this rod, specifically to target Dolphin Fish, (you can see pics from that trip and the fish that inspired me in the Lord Howe Island Advert if you have a copy of Australian Anglers Fishing World that ran in the last quarter of 1983).
It's based on a Snyderglas FT60 fitted to a Fuji Butt, with an Ambassadeur 5000 Thumb Bar release, loaded with Platypus Pretest 6kg line.

SnyderGlas FT60 001.jpg

SnyderGlas FT60 002.jpg

SnyderGlas FT60 003.jpg

SnyderGlas FT60 004 Reel.JPG

SnyderGlas FT60 005 Line.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sylvathorn said:

Yep, good advice Andrew_P, slow tapers are hard work when fighting a decent fish Junky, basically the fish has all the leverage advantage, I do like them when I'm fishing light tackle (1 & 2kg string), because they are more forgiving. For taking on bigger fish on heavier line I prefer Fast Taper Jig sticks (under load, the bottom section stays fairly straight, with most of the bend in the top third and relatively pronounced).
There are quite a few available in the market (my main supplier has quite a number in both FT & MT and weight ranges), and like Andrew said, good idea to pop your reel on a few and try to get the feel of what you like.
I've taken a couple of quick pics, hopefully they show the difference well enough 🙂

Fast Taper.JPG

Slow Taper.JPG

Thank you gents. 

My Pe8 rod does exactly what your top pick illustrates. It has heaps of grunt. Can pull the plug out of the ocean so to speak. 

I was under the impression those slow pitch rods had power in the blanks. 

Think I'll give them a miss and stick to doing what I'm doing, which is F all at the moment due to a big side project. 

Might focus my attention on a specific jig rod now. 

Cheers. 

I had a bait casting addiction years ago. 

I only ended up favouring one, however I purchased many, and still have a few reels. 

The Diawa TD-X103HSD. 

IMG_20230420_140223.thumb.jpg.c3587b079f3f5de1ee91212206f3be68.jpg

Fitzy used one, and was trick casting with it. He gave me a go and, wow, I just had to get one. 

I matched it with a Ian Miller shimano gold series ultra light bass. This was the original inspiration for his self titled jack extracta in my opinion. Beautiful rod. Deadly accurate casting too. 

IMG_20230420_140312.thumb.jpg.2fd83868902b405675d4a3f57fbc8fc4.jpg

IMG_20230420_140358.thumb.jpg.fc37c0565e6a034f8455b0fe668d315b.jpg

Unfortunately doesn't get used much these days although still in good condition. I did just replace the drag with carbontex thanks to the drag man on ebay. 

Fitted beautifully, and super smooth once again. 

5 hours ago, Junky said:

Thank you gents. 

My Pe8 rod does exactly what your top pick illustrates. It has heaps of grunt. Can pull the plug out of the ocean so to speak. 

I was under the impression those slow pitch rods had power in the blanks. 

Think I'll give them a miss and stick to doing what I'm doing, which is F all at the moment due to a big side project. 

Might focus my attention on a specific jig rod now. 

Cheers. 

They are strong in the fact that they have thick walls for such thin diameter blanks. I’m sure the Japanese make strong, powerful blanks for slow jigging big lures but they will still be slow to moderate tapers, and have a hard tip for moving the heavy jigs. A more traditional “speed” or “deep” jigging rod will have the power with a faster action/softish tip depending on the jig and pe rating. I would recommend googling “United Composites” or “black hole” and “deep jigging”

5 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

Yep, good advice Andrew_P, slow tapers are hard work when fighting a decent fish Junky, basically the fish has all the leverage advantage, I do like them when I'm fishing light tackle (1 & 2kg string), because they are more forgiving. For taking on bigger fish on heavier line I prefer Fast Taper Jig sticks (under load, the bottom section stays fairly straight, with most of the bend in the top third and relatively pronounced).
There are quite a few available in the market (my main supplier has quite a number in both FT & MT and weight ranges), and like Andrew said, good idea to pop your reel on a few and try to get the feel of what you like.
I've taken a couple of quick pics, hopefully they show the difference well enough 🙂

Fast Taper.JPG

Slow Taper.JPG

Where are you located and where do you get your blanks/supplies from @Sylvathorn?

Same here with the US freight situation. I’m in Brisbane so it’s a quick trip to the goldy to United Tackle and Exclusive Tackle down there or occasionally I’ll go to Ballina to Frogleys (Fuji). Have you heard of Aaron McKell up your way? He does Fuji components and a few lines of the US blanks (Rainshadow, NFC, Phoenix) he might be worth contacting. I’ve ordered from him before and his shipping to Brisbane was reasonable and quick. 

18 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Same here with the US freight situation. I’m in Brisbane so it’s a quick trip to the goldy to United Tackle and Exclusive Tackle down there or occasionally I’ll go to Ballina to Frogleys (Fuji). Have you heard of Aaron McKell up your way? He does Fuji components and a few lines of the US blanks (Rainshadow, NFC, Phoenix) he might be worth contacting. I’ve ordered from him before and his shipping to Brisbane was reasonable and quick. 

I'll definitely check Aaron out Andrew_P, be nice to have extra strings to my bow.
I sometimes use Exclusive Tackle as well, I get wholesale with them, but unfortunately they are low on stocks too often, you might need 5 or more sizes on guides and they'll be missing some, so then you need to see if you can get what you want in another style of guide - can make life difficult. 
I am finding UBuild a bit easier to work with (they're on the Gold Coast too), plus they really try to work with you.
I'm currently trying to make a Sabiki rod, but it is proving very difficult to get some of the parts, one was the tip. I was talking to Graham (UBuild) the other day about it and he designed and made me one on his 3D printer, and posted it up, all free of charge.
I finished that broken rod repair too, made a compound Spigot Ferrule to fix it (needs to be compound to avoid leaving a weak spot at the break site - or creating two lesser ones at either end of the spigot), but now I'm out of my small broken rod bits (still have medium and large), but fortunately am expecting to get some more in this afternoon.

My 3 favourite outfits atm anyway and I'd guess for a long time to come are my travel outfits. 

For the heavy fish I've got a Nitro 007 Bonecrusher PE4-6 rod with a Shimano Stella 5000 reel spooled with 59lb Shimano Grappler braid. 

IMG_20230425_185439.thumb.jpg.4c4550d7dbd617ac8edce2c87f6115c3.jpg

Next up is a medium/heavy Nitro 007 Bonecrusher PE 2-4 rod with a Shimano Stella 4000 reel spooled with 38lb Shimano Grappler braid. 

IMG_20230425_185520.thumb.jpg.7aa987252e410b13794954cdce42860f.jpg

Lastly is the rod for the little stuff, trout streams, snake head ect. 

It's a Nitro 2-4kg Traveller with a Shimano Stella 1000 spooled with 14lb Dangan braid. 

IMG_20230425_185612.thumb.jpg.67c07a3c4d7dd640a10241f38effecd3.jpg

I've learnt that once you find gear you really like then run with it. It can be really tricky finding gear that really suits how you fish and what you fish for. 

I've got other rods that I use more, but then I use them in places that can be really hard on them. But they are nitro rods as well and still Stella reels 2500 and 4000 models. 

I could get away with using cheaper gear, but I really enjoy using the nice stuff.