Nrl 2020

ellicat

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

Actually I’m serious. It keeps throwing me out. Perhaps @kmcrosby78 could put my tips in for me until it is fixed. I will report the problem to Apple immediately after the grand final.

Being the good fella I am I have just locked them in for you Greg. Although I'm amazed you've decided to picked both games to end in a draw after extra time ........ 😜🤔

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

So who else has found themselves at a loose end this Sunday arvo ?

I guess there was some reprieve from footy withdrawal with the Rugby match.

I’m often at a loose end. If the weather was more favourable, more often, it wouldn’t be a problem. Just looking at the weather for the coming week it looks like another write off.

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

That was the first game of Rugby I have enjoyed in many years. 

The ref was an absolute crook but still well done Aust. 

What about Stevie Wonder running the line? Looked like he was staring at that foot from about 2 metres away when it touched the line. I guess his seeing eye dog was still in quarantine. AND, he is Australian so maybe he just wanted to get out of Wellington alive.  The Wallabies will need to improve their lineout and ball control before the next game because you can bet the All Blacks will be coming back harder and better.

29 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

What about Stevie Wonder running the line? Looked like he was staring at that foot from about 2 metres away when it touched the line. I guess his seeing eye dog was still in quarantine. AND, he is Australian so maybe he just wanted to get out of Wellington alive.  The Wallabies will need to improve their lineout and ball control before the next game because you can bet the All Blacks will be coming back harder and better.

We always seem to have trouble with the lineouts. 

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Yep it was up there as one of the worst all-round games for the officials that I have seen. It was the first time that non neutral ref has been in charge of the Bledisloe. There is an Aussie doing it next time.  

I was at my sons soccer carnival and forgot to tape it but luckily caught it from about the 74th minute onwards. Therefore I didn’t see much of the officials in action but I was annoyed when the ref seemed to play advantage for a VERY long time for NZ before awarding them the penalty (no advantage ...) to tie things up, and yet when the Wallabies got the ball from a knock on in extra time (well, after the hooter) we ran about 5m, lost the ball and ‘Advantage over’ ..... WTF!!!!! 
A heartening result all the same, I just wish Hodge’s kick went in (my dads a kiwi .... 😟).

Edited by kmcrosby78

NOTE… Times listed are eskimo times… check TV guides for (REAL) Qlder times

FINALS WEEK THREE

First preliminary final — 

Friday, October 16  7.50pm AEDT — Suncorp Stadium

Storm v Raiders

Saturday Oct 17. NRLW round 3

12.30pm AEDT ANZ Std

Dragons v Warriors

4.00pm AEDT ANZ Std

Roosters v Broncos

Second preliminary final — 

Saturday, October 17  7.50pm AEDT — ANZ Stadium

Panthers v Rabbitohs

FINALS WEEK THREE results

First preliminary final — 

Friday, October 16  7.50pm AEDT — Suncorp Stadium

Storm 30  v  10 Raiders

For the Raiders it was cyclonic……

12.30pm AEDT ANZ Std

Dragons 10 v 22 Warriors

4.00pm AEDT ANZ Std
Roosters 16  v  24 Broncos

NRLW Grand Final next week
Broncos v Roosters

Second preliminary final — 

Saturday, October 17  7.50pm AEDT — ANZ Stadium

Panthers 20  v  16 Rabbitohs
Bunnies ran out of puff after finishing outside the top 4?

Not sure who to cheer for in the men’s GF. You would have to say the Panthers deserve to go all the way. On the other hand, it would be fitting for Cam Smith to go out a winner. Then again, he has won pretty much everything there is to win. I think I will make up my mind once the game gets a bit of momentum. Watching a final series when your team/s don’t make the 8 is actually quite enjoyable. You can enjoy the game and not get so tense. But I never want to go through that again, so the Qld teams had better extract the digits next season. A knighthood, or possible sainthood, should go to the Man of Golden Feathers (thanks Roy and HG) Peter Vlandys for getting the show back on the road when nobody thought it possible. 

Bring on State of Origin!

ripped this off from the ‘ the thinkers’ NRL site… reasonable summary
First plays second, and we can safely say these two sides have been the most consistent sides this season. In the finals series the Storm have beaten the Eels by 12 and the Raiders by 20, while the Panthers have beaten the Roosters by 1 and the Rabbitohs by 4.

The Storm have clearly been more impressive throughout the finals series, but the Panthers may have forgotten how to lose. This, however, is their sternest test, against a team who have won 18 of the last 21 contests between these sides. Notably, the Panthers did win their only meeting this season, and recent form counts more than recent history. In round six the Panthers won 21-14 at Campbelltown, but the Storm were missing Hughes and Addo-Carr on that occasion.

The Panthers won that game, and they've won every game since then, but can they win the game that matters most? They're young, they're free of injury, and they're full of confidence. If things go their way they can clearly win this, but there are a few key areas where they can be picked apart, and no team picks apart an opponents weaknesses like the Melbourne Storm.

Last week the Rabbitohs gave their all under difficult circumstances. They scored all three of their tries on the left edge, and the Panthers right edge defence has long been their weakest. Clearly replaced Naden with Tyrone May at right centre to try and address that weakness, but they still conceded three tries on that edge. If the Bunnies left winger had two legs they could have scored at least two more down that left edge. He still scored one...with one good leg. Naden comes back into the first thirteen for the grand final, but that right edge defence can be targeted.

Does the Storm have the attacking artillery on their left edge to target and break down the Panthers right edge defence? Well...their left edge attack is Munster, Hughes, Olam, Kenny Bromwich, Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen. They can attack that edge through the hands. They can attack that edge with speed. They can attack that edge with a kicking game. The Storm will hit them with all three.
The other issue could be on the right flank, where Vunivali has a 12cm height advantage over Josh Mansour. And it's not just the 12cm, as Vunivali has a vertical leap that puts him high above his opponent. It's another potential avenue to the tryline for the Storm.
So a few issues for the Panthers to manage there.

They looked ominous against the Raiders, virtually icing the game in the first ten minutes. They had enough in hand to take their foot off the pedal at the end of that game, and they've had an extra day since then to prepare for the grand final…

29 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Not sure who to cheer for in the men’s GF..... 

But I never want to go through that again, so the Qld teams had better extract the digits next season.  

Bring on State of Origin!

for 2020 we do have a Qld based team in the final, it`s one that conitnuously feeds into our Maroon Legends system, coached   , captained and sprinkled with Qlders....

on the other side you have a selfish outfit hoping for a father and son fairy tale...
Go the QLDER connections 🤣🤣🤣

I'd be happy for either team to win but certainly wouldn't mind Smithy winning one more and going out a winner - the Clive Churchill medal would be the icing on the cake, particularly given that (amazingly) he hasn't won it.  The synopsis provided by @Gad above is pretty spot on I think - unless Munster breaks down I think the Storm should win.

Go the Broncos in the NRLW Grand Final - the way the men's side played this year, perhaps we should have drafted Brigginshaw and a couple of others into the men's team ........ 🤔.

And yes @Old Scaley, bring on Origin!!!  I love how Freddy, Gallen, Gus, etc think they've got the series won 3-0 already (Gallen was even stupid enough to say it ..). But I guess, what would Wayne Bennett and Mal Meninga know about Origin ........ 🙃.

It'll be a tough one to choose for the win. I have a good mate that goes for the Panthers and I remember that both @Rocket75 and @Terry H are Panthers fans so I have a soft spot for them and have really enjoyed watching them this year.

Then on the other hand, as Gad pointed out, Melbourne have that Qld connection and it'd be good to see Smith go out a winner (if he is going to retire this year).

The way Ivan Cleary quit and let down the Tigers may sway my feelings towards a Melbourne victory. I'd prefer to see pain on his face.

Typing this has made the decision for me.

Go Storm !