ellicat

What hook eye do you prefer ?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What hook eye do you prefer ?

• Straight
    • Offset
    • What are you talking about ???
    • Whatever falls out of the tackle box

This topic makes me realise I’m really old school. Hook eye styles, leaders, reel sizes! I don’t worry about any of that. I cut a bit of line off the end, tie a swivel in between, tie a hook ( any sharp hook) on the end and, hey presto, ready to fish! Used to catch plenty years ago with that method. I just need to find a few spots again! Lol

29 minutes ago, GregOug said:

This topic makes me realise I’m really old school. Hook eye styles, leaders, reel sizes! I don’t worry about any of that. I cut a bit of line off the end, tie a swivel in between, tie a hook ( any sharp hook) on the end and, hey presto, ready to fish! Used to catch plenty years ago with that method. I just need to find a few spots again! Lol

Probably more important is a sharp hook point. How many uses / sessions do people retain hooks/rigs for?

Hi ellicat

I use offset hooks  suicide ones to be particular. They are better for striking with, but when I use circle hooks they are straight. 

Offset hooks are better for live baits, on lighter lines, where fish (i.e. river perch) require a strike to land. 

Circle hooks are better when you just have a livie or something out the back - you don't even have to fish with them. LOL. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂