Fish Finder Choices

Bigbazz

Hi guys just signed up and looking forward to meeting you all.

I am currently looking at the Lowrance HDS 7 with the 3 in one transducer it comes with. Comes with the C map .

Any advice on other or better set ups/brands. Budget is 1500 dollars  and boat is a 560 makocraft plate alloy half cab. 

Thanks for any help available.

Cheers and happy fishing to all.👍

Hey @BigBazza, Welcome to the forum.

I think most in your price range will do what you want these days. I have a Lowrance and am happy with it now. At first I wished I bought a Garmin as the menu took some getting used to.

The Lowrance with CMaps allows you access to Genesis live mapping which gives you super detailed bottom contours. It also has community mapping which is great for planning a trip or looking for likely spots to fish. Both are great features. I believe Navionics has a similar community mapping thing - maybe another member could give a run down.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

5 hours ago, Bigbazz said:

Hi guys just signed up and looking forward to meeting you all.

I am currently looking at the Lowrance HDS 7 with the 3 in one transducer it comes with. Comes with the C map .

Any advice on other or better set ups/brands. Budget is 1500 dollars  and boat is a 560 makocraft plate alloy half cab. 

Thanks for any help available.

Cheers and happy fishing to all.👍

Welcome to AFO!

I just went through this activity a few months ago and now have a lowrance 7 elite ti.

I bought 2nd hand and instead of paying ~$1100 brand new, I picked it up for $500. Win! If I had more money - I would like to have gotten a bigger screen because that would make it much easier to see some more detail - rather than gone for the HDS.

So - in a wrap up, I would consider watching the 2nd hand market and consider the need to get HDS vs a bigger screen.

I have a Garmin Echomap 95sv and love it, but I have never owned a Lowrance so can’t offer an opinion on relative merits. The Garmin  has good maps, easy to use, clear sounder screens (regular sonar, downvision and sidevision) and comes with an app so you can access your maps, marks etc from any of your mobile devices, as well as download updates to the map and the device via Bluetooth. You can also steal your mate’s marks while you are on their boat. 😋 It is a 9” screen and my ageing eyes really appreciate the extra realestate on the screen. You should pick up a new one in your budget.  Also has the community mapping and you can add livescope, but I haven’t done that yet.

Good luck with your search. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get.

Edited by Old Scaley

Get the biggest screen you can, or get 2 units. 

I run garmin so I knew what brand I wanted, however for the price of a brand new 9 inch touch screen job, I got 2 older 820sx' and networked them together. Luckily garmin still had stock. 

Another thing to consider is the touch screen units.

If you can, go out with someone who has one first. I'm glad I did. 

I don't like touch screens. Terrible in rough weather. Very stressful stopping all the time.

I like a physical button. Much easier, for me anyway.