Spin or overhead for bull sharks?

JMW21

Planning on getting a relatively cheap setup for 1.5-3m bull sharks. Never owning an overhead setup (other than bait caster), I enjoy the experience of using a spin reel, but I think I might be in over my head.

Between the TLD25 and the Penn 950, would the TLD the smarter option? I was thinking for line, 80lb braid main line to 150lb mono to a wire trace.

Was snapped off this morning with my 5000 reel with 30lb braid to 60lb wire trace. Fought for 40 minutes and was in no control at any point. Time to step it up. Thanks for the help!

46 minutes ago, JMW21 said:

Planning on getting a relatively cheap setup for 1.5-3m bull sharks. Never owning an overhead setup (other than bait caster), I enjoy the experience of using a spin reel, but I think I might be in over my head.

Between the TLD25 and the Penn 950, would the TLD the smarter option? I was thinking for line, 80lb braid main line to 150lb mono to a wire trace.

Was snapped off this morning with my 5000 reel with 30lb braid to 60lb wire trace. Fought for 40 minutes and was in no control at any point. Time to step it up. Thanks for the help!

Just now, ellicat said:

Assume you're fishing landbased ??

If so, the TLD25 will be fine for the 1.5 metre sharks but would be well out of its league with a 3 metre version.

If you're fishing from a boat the TLD 25 might do it, but you'd have to chase and be patient.

Sorry should have mentioned, I’ll be fishing from my boat, just in the river

8 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Overall overheads reels have a better and stronger gearing system then spinning reels but It depends what you want to. Because spin reels are still definitely strong enough it’s up to you on this one for what you prefer personally i would go with 10000 size spin reel for big sharks but that’s me 

Thanks for the help mate, I think I’ll go for the overhead

Overheads carry more line and are better for big fish especially if they are fast. 

The bail arm on the spinning reels mean that the line has to turn 90o. This puts loads of pressure on the line compared to the overheads that run the line straight at the guides. 

The other thing I like about over heads is you can more easily thumb the spool or thumb the line onto the grip if you want a bit more drag than you have set. 

But like others have said if you are only chasing small sharks spinning gear will do. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Overheads carry more line and are better for big fish especially if they are fast. 

The bail arm on the spinning reels mean that the line has to turn 90o. This puts loads of pressure on the line compared to the overheads that run the line straight at the guides. 

The other thing I like about over heads is you can more easily thumb the spool or thumb the line onto the grip if you want a bit more drag than you have set. 

But like others have said if you are only chasing small sharks spinning gear will do. 

Thanks for that explanation mate. Definitely seems the overhead is the go for the larger specimens