New member looking to go offshore fishing from Noosa

Hi Folks,

I am a new member moving into the Noosa area looking to go offshore fishing from Noosa. I have a fair amount of experience crossing the Ballina bar and was training as crew member for Marine Rescue NSW. Hoping to pick up a few hints specific to the Noosa bar crossing. Also want to join the QLD VMR Coast Guard.

My boat is a Searay 185 Bowrider with 135hp Optimax outboard. It's not really a serious offshore boat but if I pick the day it's pretty safe. After seeing some videos of boats pushing through breaking waves on the Noosa bar I think I will leave the forward lounge cover in place to help keep water out of the boat.  

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

cheers,

Chris

Hey Chris, Welcome to the AFO forum.

I'm not an offshore fisherman anymore, but this website has all the current bar news for Noosa and is updated daily -

Please login or register to view this content

Sunshine Reef will be your starting point to search for.

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the forum. 

There have been some great fishers that worked the reefs off noosa here. I am sure if you use the search engine you will get a lot of tips and advice. 

I am heading up your way today for some crabbing. 

Sounds like you could give me advice on the bar crossing so I won't offer anything there. 

Good luck, stay safe and have a ball. I can't wait to read some reports of the fish you catch 🙂

8 hours ago, Junky said:

It's shallow, real shallow. Sometimes low tide can close it down. 

Follow the charter boats out  and go from there. It does get some protection but can turn nasty when the wind goes easterly. 

I don't do much out from there any more. I go further north now. 

Funny you say that because my mate and I tried crossing it a week or so ago and had to turn around because we were hitting bottom even before we got to the bar proper. Very shallow! Scary couple of minutes trying to turn around with the seas hitting us side on and the motor with no water to work in. Strangest thing was the tide was racing out even though it was supposed to be only half high tide! I won’t be attempting a crossing there again in a hurry. I’ll try Mooloolaba next time.